APPLE APHID: GREEN AND GRAY, HOW TO FIGHT TO GET RID OF THIS INSECT, AS WELL AS TIPS ON HOW TO TREAT THE TREE, THE CLASSIFICATION OF FUNDS — CROP PRODUCTION
Tips experienced gardeners to combat the green apple aphids and its other species
- 1 Tips experienced gardeners to combat the green apple aphids and its other species
- 2 Description and variations
- 3 What to process to get rid of the pest?
- 4 Preventive measures
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Old Farmer’s Almanac
- 7 Cucumber Beetles
- 8 Share:
- 9 Identification
- 10 Control and Prevention
- 11 Plants Affected
- 12 Topics
- 13 What do you want to read next?
- 13.1 Beetlemania: Beetles in the Garden
- 13.2 Staying Ahead of Garden Pests
- 13.3 Butterfly Gardening
- 13.4 Raised Bed Gardens and Small Plots
- 13.5 Houseplant Care Guide
- 13.6 Preparing Your Garden for Winter
- 13.7 Get Rid of Garden Pests Naturally
- 13.8 Planting Garlic in the Fall
- 13.9 Tomato Diseases and Disorders
- 13.10 Invasion of the Garden Catalogs
- 13.11 What is Diatomaceous Earth?
- 13.12 13 Common Garden Weeds
- 14 Reader Comments
- 15 Leave a Comment
- 15.1 Cucumber Beetles & Dahlias
- 15.2 cucumber beetles?
- 15.3 Those sounds like squash
- 15.4 cucumber beetles?
- 15.5 Quick question.
- 15.6 Oh nvm.
- 15.7 Raid Mosquito and Fly spray works best
- 15.8 Cucumber beetles
- 15.9 Cucumber Beetles on Flowers
- 15.10 cucumber beetles on flowers
- 15.11 Cucumber beetles
- 15.12 Gourd looking cucumbers
- 15.13 Misshapen Cucumbers
- 15.14 tiny green with black striped insect
- 15.15 I came home from a five day
- 15.16 cucumber beetles
- 15.17 Black beetles with yellow and white spots
- 15.18 Mustard Spinach
- 15.19 I have successfully grown
- 15.20 Your plants were attacked by
- 15.21 I am just finding out about
- 15.22 Hi Sara, Your squash is safe
- 15.23 I tried the laundry detergent
- 15.24 dish soap works on cucumber beatles
- 15.25 Cukes were doing great,
- 15.26 These might be pickleworms
- 15.27 I had great success with my
- 15.28 Gain detergent to kill pest in garden
- 15.29 Bug problems on my gourds. I
Each owner of an apple orchard faced a situation where aphids appear in large quantities on fruit bearing trees. These pests annually destroy a huge amount of the crop.
In a short period of time, a small number of individuals can multiply to several thousand. Therefore, every gardener should know the «enemy» in person and imagine how to deal with it.
Description and variations
Aphids are miniature insects that feed on the leaves and fruits of various garden plants (you can read about what aphids feed on here). Typically, the body of the aphid does not exceed a length of more than 6-8 mm. Its coloring can have various shades (gray, black, whitish, light green, dark green, orange, etc.) and, in most cases, depends on the plant, the leaves of which they feed.
A distinctive feature of this insect subspecies is the presence of a small proboscis, with which they destroy the upper covers of plants and absorb their flesh.
Aphids affecting apples are classified as gray or red headed.. The eggs of this insect are present on almost any tree. In winter, they «hide» under the bark, and with the arrival of spring warming, female individuals hatch from them. After several weeks, and in the presence of a favorable situation, the females establish a colony, producing thousands of similar insects.
The green apple aphid does not exceed 2 mm in length and has a different coloring: a greenish-gray body with a red head and a white antenna. Over time, the color changes somewhat: the body becomes noticeably black and the belly green. The peak of aphids breeding, if it is not carried out with the corresponding struggle, falls on the end of summer — the beginning of September.
In more detail about types of an aphid read in this material.
At first, aphids can be quite problematic to find on an apple treebecause Initially, he settles closer to the top of the tree. Then, after eating most of the upper leaves, it begins to move lower and lower. There it can already be easily detected, it will be enough to turn over any affected leaf.
Important! In the process of life, the aphid leaves on its leaves the products of its processing — the pad, which later with pleasure is used by ants, flies, wasps and bees. Therefore, if the above insects are constantly present on the apple tree, this is one of the signs of the presence of aphids.
Aphid is a migratory insect that can move through the air., therefore, even on the treated area, it may appear. From this it follows that the inspection of garden trees for the presence of these pests should be carried out with a certain frequency.
It should also be remembered that in addition to eating the leaves, the aphid is a peddler of numerous diseases, including viral ones. Therefore, it is necessary to exterminate it on your site.
What to process to get rid of the pest?
To date, the market is represented by a large number of all sorts of tools designed to combat garden pests, including with aphids. Chemicals are the main method of getting rid of unwanted insects. Also can not be discounted and folk methods.
It should be borne in mind that no matter how effective a particular method may be, it may not work in a particular case. To combat aphids, it is necessary to use an integrated approach and try to avoid heavy destruction of garden trees.
They are the most universal means for pest control. but Chemistry should be used with caution so as not to harm the tree itself..
Attention! The most favorable time for the use of chemicals — early spring, when the trees have not yet buds. During this period, it is possible to inflict considerable damage on the soil without damaging the young shoots.
The most popular and effective means to combat garden pests is — «Nitrofen». To prepare the solution should take 10 liters of water and add 200 grams there. drug. This volume is enough for processing one apple.
Many gardeners recommend using Oleokrupit and Kinmiks. The first drug copes with aphid larvae, but it should be used in early spring before the formation of kidneys. The second tool is less harmful to trees and is suitable for processing apple trees before they bloom.
Besides, excellent results in the destruction of insects show — «Inta-Vir» and «Karate». The first drug relieves the gardens of more than 50 different pests, including apple aphid.
Using chemicals for the treatment of garden trees, it is necessary to strictly adhere to the instructions for their use. Violating this rule, in addition to pests, can cause significant damage to the apples themselves.
More information about the fight against aphids on fruit trees can be found here.
How to fight with folk methods?
Many ways to destroy the pests used by our ancestors are in no way inferior to specialized tools. Most infusions and solutions for the destruction of aphids can be prepared by yourself.at the same time, they will fight directly with the aphids, without harming the trees.
The most popular folk remedies are:
On its basis, a solution is prepared in the following proportions: 10 liters of water and 2 cups of sifted ash.
Mix all this thoroughly, let it stand for several hours and spray the underside of the leaves.
It is necessary to take:
- 6-7 cloves of garlic, chop them thoroughly;
- pour a glass of water;
- a day later, add 1 teaspoon of liquid soap and some vegetable oil to the infusion.
The resulting solution should treat the affected areas of the apple with a spray.
The components contained in this grass perfectly destroy the aphids on apple trees. To prepare the broth should:
- pick up a kilogram of celandine;
- pour three liters of boiling water;
- when the solution has cooled down, it is necessary to add another 6-7 liters of hot water;
- mix everything thoroughly and put it in a dark place for two days.
After that you can start spraying the apple tree.
200 gr. Dried tobacco should be poured with 5 liters of water and infused for at least a day.
After that, add 50 g to the resulting solution. finely chopped soap.
In 10 liters of water you need to add 200 grams. Onion peel, mix and insist about 5 days.
Spray the apple obtained solution should be at least five days in a row.
This video tells about another effective way of dealing with aphids on apple trees:
You can learn more about effective folk remedies for aphids here.
The most popular biological measures:
- planting in the apple orchard of special aphid-repelling plants: calendula, tansy, garlic, chamomile, etc .;
- the installation of birdhouses, and the involvement of relevant species of birds that peck aphids: tits, sparrows, linnet;
- creating favorable conditions for insects that feed on aphids: ladybirds, hover flies and some species of wasps;
- the fight against ants, although this insect is useful, but it protects aphids, because eats sugar nectar, which it allocates (for more on the symbiosis of ants and aphids, read here).
Many Gardeners recommend to fight with aphids at the stage of its appearance. After all, it is much easier to defeat a small source of infection than to get rid of pests on the whole tree.
Preventive measures include regular watering of trees, especially in the dry season, application of necessary fertilizers and dressings to the soil, mulching, and sprinkling of the crown.
Before the onset of cold weather, all trees should be properly prepared for winter.. Namely, to process their bark, thereby destroying the larvae of aphids. It is also necessary to cut or break off diseased branches and remove the affected bark from the trunk.
The destruction of aphids on apple trees is not an easy task. Appearing on a single tree, it can spread throughout the garden in a short period of time. However, timely methods of control, together with preventive measures, can completely rid the apple of this insect and prevent its further spread.
It should be remembered that if the trees themselves are in a healthy state, the risk of their infection with numerous pests will be minimized.
Old Farmer’s Almanac
Old Farmer’s Store Login
GET A COPY!