TICKS ON ORCHIDS: PHOTOS OF CARAPACE AND OTHER SPECIES, RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW TO FIGHT WITH TRADITIONAL METHODS AND HOW TO GET RID OF AKARITOX-TYPE INSECTICIDE-ACARICIDES — CROP PRODUCTION
How to understand that your favorite orchid was struck by a tick? Photos and methods of pest control
- 1 How to understand that your favorite orchid was struck by a tick? Photos and methods of pest control
- 2 What it is?
- 3 The appearance of the parasite
- 4 What parts of a flower can suffer?
- 5 What do the affected areas look like?
- 6 Description of pest species and photos
- 7 Bite Diagnosis
- 8 Step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of various pests
- 9 Disease prevention
- 10 How to get rid of spider mites on eggplants, tomatoes and peppers?
- 11 Methods and control measures
- 12 Fighting spider mite on eggplants, tomatoes and peppers
- 13 How to process plants?
- 14 Diseases developing in pest attack
- 15 Summary
- 16 How to Kill Spider Mites on Plants
- 17 Folk remedies to combat spider mites: soap, sal ammoniac, onion and garlic
- 18 In the greenhouse
- 19 On indoor plants
- 20 Recipes
Orchid is an exotic plant that is actively grown at home. For the culture to please its delicate and beautiful flowering, it needs careful care. In addition to watering, feeding application, it is important to carry out prevention from pests. Most often, the orchid is subjected to attacks of the tick. The article will tell you how to deal with these pests.
What it is?
Mite refers to arthropod animals, but not to insects. Their feature is high survival under various conditions. This is due to their small size and ability to eat degradable foods.
The appearance of the parasite
The length of the tick is 3 mm, making it invisible to humans.
Recognize pests can be torso, which is divided into two parts. Moreover, the division is not symmetrical. Also on the body of the animal is 12 appendages, 8 of which — legs. Even in the appendages are claws — suckers. The front pair is always a claw.
What parts of a flower can suffer?
Pests harm leaves, peduncles and buds. Ticks can often be noticed in the ground, but without a magnifying glass they can’t be seen there.
What do the affected areas look like?
On orchids damages have the appearance of pale yellow spots. Along the edges of the sheet plate there is dryness. All this leads to the development of a fungal infection, in which the spotting on the leaves turns black. If black spots were seen on platinum orchid leaves, then the flower is likely to die.
Description of pest species and photos
The following types of ticks can hit the orchid:
- Root. This is a small size spider, which has 3 pairs of legs, sharp mustaches, a large oval body. The parasite has a high stamina, so it can be without food for a long time. It feeds on the underground elements of plants and organic residues.
- False web. This parasite is 0.25-0.3 mm in size. Seeing it with the human eye is simply impossible. The color of the calf is from greenish to red. The mite spider web does not weave, so it will be possible to see it on orchids only after the colony grows.
- Red spider mite. This parasite does not die from drugs that are designed to combat them. The color of the calf can be red, orange and yellow.
- Bulbous. Tick this small and slowly moving. Its length reaches 0.3-0.6 mm, the color is brown, the limbs are spherical in shape, and the jaws are brown.
- Flathead. This is a small parasite, as its size does not exceed 0.3 mm. The body has an oval shape, strongly flattened, yellow-red color. All setae located on the body are also short.
- Armored. These are spider-like pests that inhabit the soil and feed on the dying off elements of the orchid.
Then you can see photos of varieties.
Red spider mite.
If you look closely, then on the leaf plates of the orchid after visiting the tick there are small white spots, as if from injections with a thin needle. This is the death of the leaf tissue at the site of the bite. After a while, the spots merge into large ones, which then turn brown, and the leaf dies. The same shots can be seen at the base of the stem, in the leaf axils.
Step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of various pests
After detecting a spider mite on an orchid, you can get rid of it by several methods:
- Biological. It is enough to have several walls of predatory beetles that will destroy adult ticks.
- Chemical. Insecticidal preparations must be alternated, since parasites develop immunity to the agents used. In addition, one-time processing will be small, it will have to carry out systematically. Such drugs are effective: Metaldehyde, Thiofos, Actellic.
- Folk. To combat spider mite, you can use a decoction of cyclamen roots. Pour the tubers with water, boil for 30 minutes, insist for a day, and use the resulting filtered liquid to spray the orchid. To carry out processing every 5 days 3-4 times. Get rid of the spider mite will help the usual wiping orchid leaves with a cloth dipped in alcohol.
We offer to watch a video on how to get rid of spider mites:
As soon as this pest was detected, it is necessary to immediately change the soil in the pot. To get rid of the onion mite in the following ways:
- Folk. To use folk remedies is effective only at an early stage of the lesion, when the mites did not spread much. Suitable soap solution (20 g of raw materials per 1 liter of water). They can wipe orchids or immerse the flower completely in solution. You can try to spray the plant with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- Chemical. Florists apply insecticides of the general spectrum of action. But you can also use narrow specialization drugs that will only fight ticks — these are acaricides. To prepare the solution you need to use the instructions on the package.
Concentration can be made weaker, but not stronger, otherwise the opposite effect is possible. In the prepared solution, it is necessary to soak the flower, and send the roots back to the ground only when they are completely dry.
This parasite is the most difficult and tenacious. It has a high capacity for recovery and reproduction. If the root mite was noticeable on the orchids, then all the affected parts of the flower should be urgently removed, and the cut sections should be treated with activated carbon powder. Affected plants must be isolated from other healthy ones. Immediately discard the soil, and disinfect the pot.
Folk remedies suggest using a decoction of nettle, which will not only eliminate pests, but also improve the immunity of the flower.
To prepare the solution, you need: take 700 g of fresh grass, pour 5 liters of boiling water and leave for 30 minutes in a dark place.
How to process a plant? This is done for 5 minutes, immersing the whole orchid in the broth. Ascaricides remain effective from chemical preparations. You can also use insecticoacaricidal drug against pests — Acaritox. Apply it strictly according to the instructions, and the frequency of processing — every 5-7 days.
Biologics are also effective against root mites:
- Summer resident;
To quickly and effectively get rid of the parasite, it is better to immediately use chemicals — acaricides. Since ticks are not insects, it is useless to use insecticides.
Most commonly used:
Folk remedies can be used those that were given earlier, but they are only effective at an early stage of infection.
After 3-5 minutes after the dive, it will be possible to see how the parasites begin to emerge. After half an hour, remove the root system from the water and put it to dry. Hold events 2-3 times to get maximum results. When the roots are dry, you can transplant the plant into a new soil. If chemical methods of control are used, then acaricidal preparations are effective, among which are:
In the store you can buy a predatory mite — Hypoasmis Miles. One package will be enough to completely get rid of parasites.
From the video you can learn how to get rid of the claw mite:
To prevent the appearance of mites on orchids, you must observe the following preventive measures:
- Periodically dry the soil in which the flower grows.
- Spray the flower in a timely manner and make sure that the liquid drops do not stand in the leaf axil. Otherwise, the orchid will rot.
- Observe the optimum mode of watering.
- Ticks occur in a room with dry air. You can increase the humidity if you set a container with room temperature water for 2 days around the orchid. The water will evaporate and the air humidified.
Caring for an orchid is very difficult, especially when it comes to rocking pest control. The difficulty is that such small parasites as ticks strike a flower. To see them immediately and in time to eliminate is not always possible, so you have to resort to more aggressive methods of struggle when the accumulation of pests is already widespread.
How to get rid of spider mites on eggplants, tomatoes and peppers?
Tiny spider mites, which can only be seen under a microscope, can cause colossal damage any cultivated plants.
Among their gastronomic preferences are eggplants, tomatoes and bell peppers. If they grow in the garden or in the greenhouse, they will be the first to suffer from the invasion of ticks — vegetarians. How to fight with spider mite, what methods to use?
Will consider methods and measures to combat spider mites in greenhouses and on sites. Having found traces of the destructive activity of pests, one should immediately start their extermination. Several methods have been developed that effectively and reliably eliminate tick populations.
Methods and control measures
There was a web on cultures: what to do?
It consists in the use of various chemicals.
Against ticks can be used acaricides and insectoacaricides.
How to get rid of spider mites chemicals? Chemical measures include:
- spraying plants working solutions of drugs;
- fumigation greenhouses and greenhouses by burning chemicals;
- soil treatment around the plants.
Events can be held both individually and in combinations with each other, combining them.
It implies the use of various means of biological origin. Plus this method in complete security for all creatures, excluding ticks. Measures of this method include:
- Using natural enemies ticks — phytophagous. These are predatory mites that feed on vegetarians. They effectively reduce the number of colonies without damaging the plants.
- Application biopreparationsthat harm only ticks. After preparing the solution, the plants are sprayed following the instructions.
It consists of various measures aimed at creating conditions unfavorable for the existence of a tick. To effectively use it, you need good to know habits and preferences pest. Measures include:
- soil treatment;
- destruction of plant waste;
- increased air humidity;
- planting plants that repel ticks.
This method does not require financial investments, are used. only physical effort plant breeding.
Spider mite on tomatoes (tomatoes) — photo:
Includes use improvised means to kill the pest or its scaring.
Measures are divided into:
- using food;
- the use of affordable and cheap medicines, such as iodine and potassium permanganate;
- spraying infusions and decoctionsmade from various plants.
Fighting spider mite on eggplants, tomatoes and peppers
How to deal with pests? Tomato, Pepper and Eggplant Processing generally not different from each other. All possible nuances we have taken into account and described. If you have any suspicions about the invasion of ticks on your vegetables, you need to follow this step-by-step instruction:
Carefully inspect the damaged bushes in search external lesions. Numerous small bright spots on the leaves, Availability fine spiderweb on the inside, «Marble drawing» surfaces. In addition, ticks can be detected using a strong magnifying glass.
Spider mite on eggplants — photo:
In this case, it should be replaced by another, choosing a tool from another group. For example, if you used biological acaricide, you need to choose a drug chemical origin. In order to get rid of the entire population of ticks, treatment should be carried out repeatedly.
If you have tried several different tools, and the result is negative, should call professionalsthat will accurately kill ticks and find the true cause of the problem.
Spider mite on peppers — photo:
How to process plants?
Subdivided into 2 groups:
- Acaricides specific. They act only on ticks — vegetarians and do not work against insects. These include Sunmite, Omite 30 and 57, Neoron, Apollo, Borneo, Envidor, Flumayt, Nissoran, Anticlesch, Floromite.
- Insectoacaricides. Toxic activity is manifested to ticks and insects. Possessing an extensive range of effects, most often universal. Among them, the most famous and effective Oberon, Actellic.
They contain streptomycete fungi and their activity products that have neurotoxic qualities. These include Akarin, Vertimek, Agravertin, Fitoverm, Aktofit, Kraft, Kleschevit.
Refer to gentle methods getting rid of ticks, completely harmless to any animals and people. The most popular infusions of garlic, onion, bitter pepper, tobacco, horsetail, dandelion and potato tops. Other drugs and detailed recipes can be found in our article «Folk remedies to combat spider mite.»
Diseases developing in pest attack
Spider mite not only sucks the juice and weakens these plants, but also suffers numerous diseases. First of all it gray rotto which all vegetables are subject as well viral diseases.
Eggplant suffer from mosaic — cucumber, tobacco and speckled, stolbur, viral necrosis and necrotic spotting. On pepper, thanks to ticks, lucerne, tobacco and cucumber mosaics, mycoplasmosis (stolbur) can attack. On Tomatoes seedlessness (aspermia), several varieties of mosaic, strick, spotted wilt develops.
Mosaic on eggplants — photo:
Do not be lazy and neglect preventive measures and the fight against spider mites. Otherwise, you are likely will be left without harvest. You can select the appropriate drug using the article «Spider Tick Controls».
How to Kill Spider Mites on Plants
By: Penelope Lane
21 September, 2017
Walk landscaping frequently to check for signs of spider mites. Once infestations have become severe, they become more difficult to control. Frequently spritz houseplants with water. Increased moisture and humidity helps keep spider mites at bay.
Do not spray pesticides on trees that bear edible fruit. Always follow the pesticide instructions for use. Plants with severe spider mite infestations may be impossible to save.
Spider mites are tiny, eight-legged pests that can cause severe damage to plants and flowers. A common problem on both evergreen and deciduous plant varieties, spider mite populations can grow exponentially over a very short period of time. While it can be difficult to eliminate a severe infestation, several steps can help kill and reduce spider mite populations before serious harm has come to the plant.
Attempt to eliminate spider mites immediately. Pest populations can grow rapidly and, if left untreated, cause serious damage (and even death) to landscaping and gardens. Walk plants frequently to check for pest infestation and determine severity of each isolated occurrence.
Survey the spider mite damage on the plant. While spider mites are small and can be difficult to see, checking plants frequently can help determine the severity of the problem. An infected plant will often droop, appear stressed or drop its leaves. Additionally, the leaves may have yellow, bronze or reddish-colored flecks. Spider mite damage can appear on both sides of the leaves. Look for silken webs across the leaves, stems or flowers of the plant.
Trim infected plants and remove damaged leaves. Bag and discard all infected leaves, stems, shoots and plants. Reexamine plants and the severity of the spider mite problem frequently. Isolate the infected plant (if possible).
Hose down plants with water of moderate pressure. Forceful water has many benefits to eliminating spider mite populations. It physically removes the pests, breaks down webs, postpones egg-laying and increases the strength of the plant.
Eliminate mild spider mite populations in a natural way. According to Colorado State University, introducing predatory insects into gardens can help eliminate spider mite populations. Consider bringing dark-hued lady beetles or minute pirate bugs into your landscaping to feed on spider mites and control populations naturally.
Kill severe spider mite populations with chemicals. Several pesticide sprays, insecticide soaps, sulfur and horticultural oils are available to consumers; Choose a product that kills both live mites and eggs. Often these pesticides are called «miticides» or «acaricides.» Read the entire label, follow directions exactly and spray plant in a thorough manner. While some chemicals can be successful in killing spider mites on plants, it can still be difficult to entirely remove an infestation. More than one pesticide application may be necessary. However, be careful of using chemicals too frequently, as insecticides can kill bugs that feed on spider mites and keep populations at a minimum.
Folk remedies to combat spider mites: soap, sal ammoniac, onion and garlic
Spider mite — one of most common pests garden and indoor plants. There are many chemicals to combat it.
But before you apply the «heavy artillery,» it is worth trying sparing folk remedies. What to cook them from and how to use them?
How to get rid of spider mites folk remedies?
Spider mite — a small insect, but brings great harm. Loves high temperature and low humidity. Feels great on indoor plants and in greenhouses. Ticks feed leaf sap, which leads to their yellowing, death and death of the plant.
To see such a tick very hard, the cobweb on the leaves appears already at the late period of infection.
In the greenhouse
How to deal with spider mite in a greenhouse? In order not to give the mite a chance to appear, you must start with prophylaxis:
Chemistry in the greenhouse is better to use at the very leastif folk remedies do not help. Recipes for home decoctions and infusions have been tested for centuries, and it is not for nothing that they are still used in pest control.
If the spider mite still settled in the greenhouse, then it’s time to process. The fight against spider mites in the greenhouse with folk remedies is that you can simply dig up and burn the affected plants, but it is better to try regular spraying with household solutions. For greater efficiency You can alternate different means.
On indoor plants
How to get rid of spider mites on indoor flowers folk remedies? Here, too, do not forget about preventive measures:
- daily inspect plant leaves;
- periodically flush plant under running warm water;
- spray and wipe leaves with a soap solution;
- several times a week for 1-2 minutes to place the plant under the special ultraviolet lamp with long or medium rays;
- if you suspect a tick, quickly treat the leaves pure medical alcohol.
Spider mite: how to fight folk remedies? A simple and effective way to treat domestic plants from spider mites in this video:
What are the folk remedies for spider mites on indoor plants?
There are popular methods of dealing with spider mites. We present to you a few effective recipes house broths and infusions from a tick.
You can handle them and room plants and greenhouses.
For processing in the greenhouse will need a concentrated soap solution.
In a bucket of warm water bred 200 grams of laundry soap crushed on a coarse grater.
The resulting solution for 2-3 hours, insist well mixed and sprayed infected landings. Instead of soap, you can use dishwashing liquiddiluted in water.
Houseplants wipe with a sponge, well soaped with soap. Special attention given to the leaves and stems. The pot is necessarily processed, and the earth around a plant is slightly sprayed.
It is important not to let the soap solution. to the roots, it can lead to the death of the flower.
The treated plant is left for 3-4 hours, then wash off the soap suds and cover with a plastic bag for a day to maintain high humidity.
Sulfur tar soap from spider mite — quite effective and proven tool. On a bucket of water, add 100 grams of crushed sulfur-tar soap and spend weekly spraying. This treatment is repeated 2-3 more times.
Used by ammonia. A solution of ammonia is made at the rate of 30 ml per bucket of water (10 l). This tool can wipe the leaves and process the greenhouse.
Soap-alcohol solution also used on indoor plants. In 1 liter of boiling water dissolve 20-30 grams of soap, cool and pour in 10-20 ml of alcohol. Carefully process the plant and topsoil.
With it, you can make several types infusion:
- Ground up 30 grams of garlicadd hot water bucket and leave for a day. Ready infusion filter and process the affected leaves.
- Can be finely chopped 500 grams of garlicadd 3 liters of water and insist in a dark place for 5-6 days. Then drain the infusion, pour 60 grams and dilute in a bucket of water. You can add there and 50 grams of laundry soap.
- Chopped garlic (200 g) is stirred in a bucket of water and spray immediatelywithout insisting.
- There are situations when a houseplant does not tolerate spraying (for example, succulents). In this case, chopped garlic is placed in a small container, put next to the plant and cover it for 1-2 hours with all this package.
Onion brew also helps in the fight against mites. To cook it is necessary 200 g fresh onion peel Pour a bucket of well warm water and put in heat for 12 hours. The resulting infusion filter, squeeze and spray the plants.
Herbs and infusions of herbs
Dandelion in the fight against tick helps too. To do this, 30-40 g of the roots of the medicinal dandelion are crushed and poured with a liter of water. A few hours insist and process the plant.
Cyclamen roots decoction saves indoor plants. In 0.5 liters of water, boil 50 grams of roots and filter. The resulting decoction can wipe the leaves and stems. After 5 days, the procedure is repeated.
Infusion of yarrow Prepared as follows: in a 10 liter of boiling water, 700-800 grams of dry leaves are drawn. After 3 days, they can process both greenhouse plants and indoor plants.
Infusion of potato tops also helps well from spider mites: 1 kg of fresh tops are ground, and poured with a bucket of water.
Leave for 3-4 hours and filter. Can be used for processing greenhouses.
Infusion and decoction of black henbane. This plant is extremely poisonous, but if you take care, you can permanently get rid of the tick.
For an infusion, 1 kg of henbane should be poured with a bucket of water and left for 10 hours. Then strain and add 20 grams of laundry soap. You can take 2 kg of fresh henbane, add water and cook for 2-3 hours. After straining into the broth, add 10 liters of water.
Infusion of horseradish: 1 kg of chopped horseradish roots poured a bucket of cold water. A few hours insist and carry out processing plants.
A decoction of leaves of gray alder Prepared from 2 kg of fresh leaves filled with a bucket of water. Day he insists, then boil it for half an hour and insist again 12-13 hours.
Decoction of wormwood it helps not only in the fight against ticks, but also with many other pests. 800 grams of dry wormwood is added to a bucket of water and left for 2 days. After that, half an hour, boil, filter and add another 10-12 liters of water.
Rosemary essential oil
Take a few drops in 1 liter of water. Well stirred and rub home flowers.
Recipes for various infusions and decoctions very much. Some of them effectiveSome are not.
But in the fight against spider mite do not immediately use chemistry, because you can spoil the crop and harm the beloved home plant.
After all folk remedies This is why they are called folk, because their effectiveness was tested by trial and error for many years.
You will learn how to get rid of the spider mite at the summer cottage using folk methods by watching this video: