Spider Mite On Houseplants And Flowers: How To Deal With It And Get Rid Of It For A Long Time?
How to deal with spider mite on indoor plants at home?
Spiderweb on potted flowers — what is it? Spider mite infects almost all plants on all continents, it does not reach only aquatic ones. This the tick lives everywhere, it is not only in Antarctica. It often turns into a real disaster for lovers of indoor flowers.
What is a spider mite on indoor plants? it small insect, having the form of an ellipse and reaching a size of up to 1 mm. They live in large colonies, settling under dry leaves, left in the pot, or small clumps of soil, on the back of the leaf.
Such colony consists of hundreds of ticks, they actively reproduce, laying off the larvae. Pincers and larvae drink juice, for this they pierce a leaf and suck out liquid from it. Spider mite on indoor plants — how to deal with it?If you want to treat your indoor plant then you may need to change out the old lady spider and replace it with a new one. You may then take it out and put it in the greenhouse or open your door for the winter months.
- The best spider will return to the tree, so keep those little insides coming back to the house.
- Green spiders can cause infestations in greenery, so being careful about locking and unlocking your doors during the winter.
- If however, you have to dealt with green mites, you may resort to chemical fertilizer or water extraction to kill them.
- For homes that have indoor pets, the best fertility drug to use is TLT when you have the mites in the papers. You can also use the TEPCO to kill the mite.
How to detect?
Leaves form numerous light spotsand if the colony is large, the plant is covered with a thin, barely noticeable gossamer (hence the name of the tick) and very soon begins to dry.
They are difficult to detect due to too small in size and color, helping to merge with foliage (ticks are brownish, greenish and yellowish). The females remaining for wintering are red in color.
Mite females live less than a month, but during this period hundreds of eggs are able to lay. New individuals appear in the clutch after three days. The biggest problem is that eggs up to 5 years old stay alive.
They are waiting in the wings on the bark, in the axils of the plant, in the ground and even in the window frames, on the window sills and in the cleaved flower pots. That is why struggle with them can be long.
Web on flowers: what to do? To understand how to remove spider mites from room flowers, you need to know that they there are several types:
- common spider mite: its vast populations are settled on the lower part of the leaves and on the tips of young shoots; as the colony grows, individual individuals begin to crawl all over the window sill, hitting all new plants; in a short time can infect the entire collection; most often they affect fuchsias, balsamines, ficuses, roses and dracaena; the first sign of such a lesion is yellow spots on the leaves and small white cobwebs;
- red tick: most often settles on balsam, rose, nightshade, orchid, lemon; actively reproduces at high temperatures;
- false mite: it is dangerous because it has a very small size and is not visible at all with the naked eye; he does not weave cobwebs, therefore, the defeat is noticed only when the plant is already beginning to die;
- Atlantic tick: mainly affects exotic palms and citrus fruits, but can spread to any plant; one of the few ticks that are actively distributed with high humidity in the room;
- cyclamen mite: spreads on gloxinia, chrysanthemum, cyclamen, pelargonium, balsam, violet; he lives not only on the leaves, but also in the tubers of plants; large colonies look like a layer of dust; unlike most fellows loves high humidity;
- wide tick: likes to settle on anthurium, eosklet, ficus, saintpaulia, oleander, citrus and cacti; he is distinguished by great fecundity; new colonies appear on the leaves of the diseased plant every 3-4 days; they are easy to detect: red clusters of dust and cobwebs are visible; females do not become slaughtered in hard-to-reach places for laying eggs, therefore it is easy to fight with them
- cactus flat mite (briobia): affects exotic plants, can be found on white or yellowish intermittent stripes on the leaves; the female lays large orange eggs, pulling chains from them along the veins on the leaf; found on senpolia, fatsii, can go to any plant;
- clover mite: it affects ambutilon, ficus, euonymus, perperomy, orchids and various bulbous; eats away the whole moves, filling them with brown dust.
Houseplants are attacking other types of Putin’s mites: pacific, strawberry, red (flat).
Read more about these and other types of spider mites in our article «Types of spider mites. How to recognize a malicious parasite?».
How to fight at home?
It is difficult to fight spider mites, so it’s worth practicing prevention.
Most species of mites do not like moist air, and plants need to spray more often, maintain humidity at the right level in different ways.
Immersion plants in water rarely helps, because mites are able to form an air bubble around them.
The leaves of the plant need wipe on both sides wet soft cloth, which must be constantly rinsed in hot water, so as not to transfer the mites from the plant to the plant. Fallen leaves and flowers should not be left in the pot.
Pots before reuse need to wash with detergents, it is better to store them in rooms that are not heated in winter. Frames to wash with detergents. Wooden frames to paint as often as possible.
Spider mite not only damages the plant itself, but also carries various diseases, for example, gray rot and disputes of various mushrooms.
How to process flowers from spider mite at home?
Folk remedies to combat spider mites fit the following:
- vodkadiluted with water;
- infusion of roots dandelion;
- garlic infusion;
- decoction of tubers cyclamen;
- infusion of flowers calendula.
How to treat mite indoor flowers with cyclamen tuberYou can find out from the video:
Folk remedies can not always cope, and then you have to resort to stronger drugs:
You can read in detail how to use the means to combat spider mites.
All funds will be effective only when multiple processing. It is necessary to process and neighboring plants, frames and window sill.
How to cure flowers from spider mites? When a tick is detected, the plant must first be thoroughly washed with household or tar soap. Lather each sheet and each sinus, whipping foam with your hands and carefully processing all parts of the plant. Flower leave for a few hours (you can and day) Covering it with a plastic bag.. Then carefully wash off the soap under a warm shower.
If the defeat was insignificant, then such a procedure would be enough, though it should be be sure to repeat two or three times during the week. The plant should be sprayed with warm water twice a day and regularly inspected.
What if the defeat went far enough? You must first process the soap, then spray with drugs «Intavir», «Fitoverma», «Karbofos». When processing the window in the water, it is also worth adding «Karbofos».
Sometimes helps fairly simple method: near the plant put an open container with finely chopped garlic or turpentinetightly close the plant with a capacity for 2-3 days. The edges of the pot should be lubricated tar.
Ways to fight on flowers
How to get rid of spider mites on indoor flowers? For each plant it is necessary to select an individual method of control.
Spider mite on orchid — photo:
Flower is amazed many types of ticks, for example, falenopsisom mite, living in the sinuses. Spider mite on orchids — how to fight? First, the plant should be washed with soap, then treated with one of the chemicals, it is better to use a non-toxic «Fitoverm» or an aqueous solution of the drug «Actellic».
Spider mite on orchid: what are the control measures? To combat the tick use special sticks produced in Holland, which are stuck in the ground in a pot with an orchid. Act Sticks «Plant-pin» and «Etisso» It is based on the following principle: the substance of which they are composed dissolves during irrigation, absorbs into the ground and is absorbed with water from the roots, from where it enters the land part of the plant, the flower becomes unsuitable for feeding mites.
What does an orchid affected by spider mites look like and how to avoid plant infestation — in this video:
Ticks often strike balsams. If this happens at the end of summer, in autumn or winter, the plant should drastically cut off. The rest of the wash and treat with insecticide, it is better drug «Alatar», as it is very difficult to get rid of the tick on the balsam.
Spider mite on balsamine — how to fight? If an infection has occurred in spring and summer, the plant is treated with soap suds, then sprayed with an insecticide, the procedure is repeated several times in 3-5 days. If the plant does not represent special value, its better throw away and prevent the occurrence of mite on other colors.
Spider mite on balsamine — photo:
How to cure and save the rose from spider mite at home? Spider mite on a rose in room conditions appears constantlytherefore, it is important to carry out prevention. But if the plant is already affected, then it is necessary to begin treatment as soon as possible. Are there any home remedies for spider mites on a rose?
A spider web appeared on the room rose: what to do? First, you need to wash the rose hot, up to 50-55 degrees, with water dissolved soap. Leave the plant for a day under a plastic bag and then wash it off with water of the same temperature.
How to use the remedy for spider mites on a home rose? In each case, when you have to handle a flower, you need to resort to using different chemicals.
Spider mite on the room rose — photo:
Spider mite on home rose: how to fight?
About, what to process homemade rose from spider mite, you will learn by watching the video:
Some more helpful tips on how how to get rid from a spider mite on a rose at home, you will get from this video:
For the prevention of spider mite ficus spray regularly. Spider mite on a ficus — how to fight? At infection carefully wipe each leaf on both sides well soaped a rag and, holding the plant a day under a plastic bag, wash the soap with warm water. Then you need to spray ficus alcohol solution of calenduladiluted with water, without missing a single sheet.
Leaf irradiation effective ultravioletthat ticks can’t stand. Ficus leaves can be covered oily drug and leave it for a few days.
Spider mite on ficus — photo:
When numerous tick colonies are found on a plant, it must be first wash with soap, those leaves that are hit hard, cut. Then remove from the pot, inspect the roots, remove damaged, gently wash the roots in warm water and transplant into a clean container in a new ground.
After this, spray the plant epin. As a rule, such treatment is enough.
Spider mite on anthurium — photo:
Most often violets (Saintpaulias) are affected by cyclamen mite. Crop affected leaves, then spray the flower with the preparation «Fitvern», repeat the treatment twice after 10 days.
Spider mite on a violet — photo:
The plant infects a simple spider mite. Fighting it is washing long leaves in warm water with soap.
If, after repeatedly carrying out water procedures, the tick still remains, then it is necessary to resort to an insecticide. For example, to «Fitoverma».
Spider mite on the dracaena — photo:
The most effective prevention of spider mites on any houseplant — washing under a warm shower with household or tar soap.