How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Apartments? Colbert On Demand
How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Apartments?
- 1 How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Apartments?
- 2 Where do roaches come from?
- 3 How do cockroaches get into your apartments?
- 4 How to get rid of cockroaches in your house?
- 5 Useful tips
- 6 Cockroach Infestation in Apartments
- 7 How to Get Rid of a Roach Problem in Your Apartment
- 7.1 The Problem with Cockroaches
- 7.2 What Do I Do If I Find Cockroaches in My Apartment?
- 7.3 DIY Methods to Eliminate Roaches in Your Apartment
- 7.4 #1: Utilize preventative measures
- 7.5 #2: Spread around roach bait stations
- 7.6 #3: Use boric acid rather than standard chemicals
- 7.7 #4. Bug bombs
- 7.8 #5. Call the experts
- 8 How to Get Rid of Cockroaches Permanently?
- 9 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Cockroaches Permanently
- 9.1 1.) Bay Leaves To Repel Cockroaches
- 9.2 2.) Use Ammonia Solution Carefully
- 9.3 3.) Moth Balls To Repel Roaches
- 9.4 4.) Mint Oil to Get Rid of Cockroaches
- 9.5 5.) Listerine for Roaches
- 9.6 6.) Cedar for Roaches
- 9.7 7.) Bleach to Eliminate Roaches
- 9.8 8.) Lemons to Get Rid of Roaches
- 9.9 9.) Borax to Eliminate Roaches
- 9.10 10.) Soap Solution for Roaches
- 9.11 11.) Cucumber for Roaches
- 9.12 12.) Boric Acid and Sugar Remedy
- 9.13 13.) The Vaseline Trap
- 9.14 14.) The Coffee Trap to Kill Cockroaches
- 9.15 15.) Insecticide Spray to Get Rid of Cockroaches
- 9.16 16.) Cockroach Bait to Kill Cockroaches
- 9.17 17.) Pepper, Garlic and Onion Solution to Kill Cockroaches
- 9.18 18.) Lilac Oil to Get Rid of Cockroaches
- 9.19 Tips To Keep in Mind While Killing Cockroaches:
It is true that whether you are living in urban or rural areas, sometimes you will still see “uninvited” creatures crawling in your home. Yes, they are cockroaches. Have you ever experienced the horrible feeling when a cockroach crawled on your face?
Ew. Don’t even mention that!
At that time, I was too terrified to sleep. As a result, the next morning, my eyes darkened because of a haunting evening with a cockroach. And I keep asking myself: “how to get rid of cockroaches in apartments?”. And now, there is no roach surrounding my house anymore.
Roaches are everywhere. However, where do they come from?
Where do roaches come from?
Cockroaches have at least five thousand types, but Periplaneta Americana and Blattella Germanica – also known as American cockroaches and German cockroaches – are the two most common species (and also spread the most horrors) to human.
American cockroaches like to live outdoors in places like around trash cans, trees, and wood.
Besides, this species can be found in underground areas such as in ditches, steam pipes, basements or sewers. When the rainy season comes, they will perform a “great migration” to invade the building, spreading terror to everyone.
Meanwhile, the Germanica seemed to have a larger number when unable to live without people and civilized lives.
This cockroach species often lives in large swarms, concentrated in dark, damp places, especially in kitchens, walls, empty drawers as well as under stoves, washing machines and dishwashers.
The food of cockroaches is diverse, ranging from bread and fruit to paper, clothing, hair, shoes, and smelly foods. They also tend to like human waste. The more terrible thing is that the reproductive rate of this creature is over 10,000 individuals a year (according to statistics from Penn State Agricultural University – USA).
How do cockroaches get into your apartments?
Because reproduction is so fast, cockroaches’ coverage is also extensive. Moreover, this hideous creature can move from house to house. Of course, this will happen if your home is in the right place for cockroaches.
Oh, think about it! In the refrigerator cavity, your house, or some dark place in the home has a cockroach. If you don’t get rid of them, there will be countless other cockroaches living with you. And that horrible smell will haunt any furniture they pass through.
Awful! Get rid of cockroaches right away!
Do not worry! Fortunately, there are some effective methods to remove this supposedly “uninvited” creature from your home. Refer to some effortless but effective ways below!
How to get rid of cockroaches in your house?
Keep your house clean
The simplest and most important solution for the question “how to get rid of cockroaches in apartments”is to keep your home clean. Yes! Clean from top to bottom! Not just cleaning your house daily, but picking up items and cleaning them through.
Because cockroaches love dark and damp places, keeping the house always dry and clean will make it impossible for the cockroaches to live.
Cockroaches hate cleanliness! Remember!
Also, food is also attractive to cockroaches. If your diet is not correctly preserved, cockroaches can attack them at any time. As analyzed above, cockroaches can eat everything. So, keep your food in sealed containers, and it’s best to put it in the refrigerator. It helps keep your food away from cockroaches and also partly reduces the food source of this species.
Treat your baseboard
The size of cockroaches is quite small. Moreover, they can enter your home through cracks in the walls or under the floor. Therefore, the existence of cracks or crevices in the wall, under the floor or the door is a convenient way for cockroaches to move into your home.
It is also a way to help cockroaches go from house to house silently.
The next thing you need to do is to cover all cracks, gaps, holes, or even seal your door. It not only helps prevent the intrusion of cockroaches but also of other insects or adverse organisms.
Make your trap
The next method on how to get rid of cockroaches in your apartment is making your trap. You can likewise make insect traps with things you most likely have in your kitchen.
A blend of white flour, cocoa, cereal, boric acid and Plaster of Paris, or a mixture of citrus mash, dark-colored sugar, corn supper, and boric acid can enable you to deal with your roaches issue once and for all.
Put your handcrafted roach potion into small jars or cans and place them in areas where roaches enter your apartment. After that, you can purchase cockroach snare traps and use them in a similar way.
Another simple method for the question “how to get rid of cockroaches in apartments” is using Osage oranges. Osage oranges, also known as ugli fruit, are proven to be effective in repelling a variety of bugs.
This fruit grows in Dallas, Fort Worth, and Denton. Osage Orange has the scientific name Maclura Pomifera, green, hard pods and looks almost like Sake fruits.
When all else fails, you can call a pest management company. Even though, for better, call your apartment’s front office. Residences often have you pay monthly for pest control. Therefore, let’s call and file a complaint so that an exterminator can come and cure the issue for you.
It can be the most straightforward way to get rid of cockroaches. Just need a monthly fee, and you have someone else solved the problem of uninvited insects. How convenient!
But! Wait for a second!
There are some other tips you need to remember to help you stay away cockroaches.
- Clean your house and your garbage daily.
- Put some mothballs in the closet. If you are allergic to mothballs, you can replace them with scented wax to ward off cockroaches.
- Do not abuse cockroaches or insect sprays. Although these chemicals are widely used, they will still affect our respiratory system if used regularly.
- Always close the drain hole. It helps prevent cockroaches from draining into your bathroom.
Just simple like that. And we won’t see ugly cockroaches anymore!
It is certain that you have the answers to the question “How to get rid of cockroaches in apartments”.
Mentioned above is just my experience for removing roaches from my house. How about you? Have you ever faced with a flying cockroach or else? Do you have any solution for this insect species? Share with me your story!
Cockroach Infestation in Apartments
Table of Contents
How to Get Rid of a Roach Problem in Your Apartment
If you have cockroaches in your apartment, be careful about how you choose to get rid of them. While it may be tempting to perform all-out maneuvers to rid yourself of this nasty creepy crawlies, utilizing the most extreme methods can be harmful to your health and safety.
Cockroaches usually appear in the kitchen or bathroom, especially if you’ve left these locations in unclean conditions. Cockroaches are attracted to open food and water sources, so keeping your home clean and tidy will help prevent infestations from occurring in the first place. But if you live in an apartment, the occurrence of infestations are sometimes beyond your control. When it is, you need to contact a roach exterminator in NYC. A trained, certified professional is your best chance at eliminating an ongoing problem.
The Problem with Cockroaches
Cockroaches are nocturnal species, so if you begin to see them during the daytime hours, that might mean you have a serious infestation. They tend to hide in the dark, moist places, such as behind refrigerators, sinks, or stoves, or even under floor drains.
If you have an infestation, you might also notice other signs, such as feces (usually ones that resemble black pepper) as well as unpleasant odors. You may also find oval-shaped egg cases behind furniture or other hidden locations.
Cockroaches don’t bite, but large populations can still be dangerous. They can spread disease and will also make your home a less sanitary place to live and relax. If you notice signs of an infestation, take immediate action to get rid of these pests.
Cockroach (Photo: Janet Hurley, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, Bugwood.org)
“Cockroaches are nocturnal species, so if you begin to see them during the daytime hours, that might mean you have a serious infestation.”
–Rest Easy Pest Control
What Do I Do If I Find Cockroaches in My Apartment?
First, contact your on-site handyman or unit manager. Let them know you have found a roach infestation because the likelihood that it is limited to your unit is small. They might already have a pest control service on retainer to deal with the problem. If they don’t you can recommend Rest Easy Pest Control as we are efficient at getting rid of roaches in NYC.
If you own the apartment, you need to talk to the individuals that live around you. They might have an infestation, and even if your ownership of the apartment unit gives you full license to kill these uninvited guests, it doesn’t give you the right to fog out your neighbors with your pest control techniques.
DIY Methods to Eliminate Roaches in Your Apartment
There’s a harsh truth all of us must face at some point in our lives: cockroaches aren’t going anywhere. They’ve survived for billions of years and no amount of global upheaval or nuclear holocaust will destroy them.
If your home or apartment has an infestation of roaches, what should you do? What can you do? Where are the roaches coming from?! If you want to rescue your home from these creatures, you can follow these four simple steps to get rid of them:
#1: Utilize preventative measures
All of your efforts will be in vain if more cockroaches continue to pour into your home, unabated, while you’re trying to cast out the ones that are already inside. To prevent this, take the necessary steps to avoid it.
Cockroaches typically want to get inside your house or apartment for food and water. Removing easy access to these things will do wonders in preventing a worse infestation of roaches. Basically, take your garbage out on a regular basis, seal up leftovers, and remove any standing water near your home. Also, be sure to fill in cracks and gaps around the perimeter of your home.
#2: Spread around roach bait stations
The gel is a popular type of cockroach bait, and it can be spread anywhere, out of the reach of children and pets. It works by lining your walls, cupboards, and other places you’ve noticed them with the substance.
The poison contained in the gel is slow-acting, so unsuspecting cockroaches will carry it back to their nest, where it will spread to their brethren. This has proven to be a highly effective method of dealing with an infestation of roaches.
“Take your garbage out on a regular basis, seal up leftovers, and remove any standing water near your home. Also, be sure to fill in cracks and gaps around the perimeter of your home.”
–Rest Easy Pest Control
#3: Use boric acid rather than standard chemicals
This is a popular method that people often don’t consider. While you can spray chemicals in your home as a way to kill the infestation of roaches, the “wonderful” thing about these creatures is their ability to adapt.
If you use chemicals and don’t get rid of the entire infestation soon enough, the survivors will become immune to whatever you’re using. Boric acid, however, acts by drying out the cockroaches in order to kill them, which is something they are not able to become immune to.
#4. Bug bombs
Foggers, or aerosol bug bombs, are often used by pest control companies to get rid of a large-scale cockroach infestation. However, you have to be careful about using these in an apartment because they won’t just affect your unit, but also those in the entire building.
Everybody must be gone to avoid turning the apartment building into a gas chamber. Check with your management company, or consider hiring a pest control service, before trying one of these methods on your own.
There are several do-it-yourself methods of getting rid of cockroaches that, at the very least, can help keep their populations at bay. For example, flour and sugar stick traps will help draw cockroaches in and prevent them from moving away. These are best used in areas where children and pets can’t find them.
Other home control methods include commercial killers and traps. These utilize poison that the cockroaches eat and then bring back to their nests to share. Again, don’t use these if you have children or pets as they may find them interesting. You can also purchase poisonous sprays to help control the common cockroach entry points.
#5. Call the experts
If you own your apartment and have decided to take the next step in getting rid of your cockroach infestation, call an expert immediately. They will have the tools and experience necessary to undercover, destroy, and prevent future infestations of cockroaches.
They know where to look for and how to get rid of these creatures. Make sure you receive a contract that spells out the exact types and prices of services that will be performed.
If you have detected or suspect a cockroach infestation in your apartment, don’t stress. Call pest control experts today to get rid of your unwanted tenants.
How to Get Rid of Cockroaches Permanently?
Are you afraid of roaches and fed up of their unwanted presence in your house? Well, then you are at the right place. We will discuss various natural remedies that will help you to get rid of cockroaches easily and effectively. Cockroaches are the peskiest insects ever witnessed. Though many people do not find them ugly, but a few of them consider roaches as monsters. These resilient pests can even survive a nuclear explosion, so just forget about commercial pesticides and chemical bug killers. Later, you can read how to get rid of rats?, how to kill ants?, and how to get rid of bed bugs?.
So, when you are thinking to eliminate these ugly looking creatures from your house, then you need to think beyond those commercial bug killers. This is because the roaches are now immune to these chemicals and can easily rebel its effects. But, there are a few natural ingredients that these roaches dislike the most. What we will do is that we will use these ingredients in such a way that they will tend to effectively eliminate roaches from your house without much fuss. All you need to do is have patience.
Why Do We Need to Get Rid of Roaches?
Despite the fact that Cockroaches are not monsters that we need to be afraid of, but their infestation is a sign of an unhygienic environment. A few factors that explain the point include:
- Poor domestic hygiene.
- Contamination of uncovered food.
- Infestation in kitchen sinks, pipes and crevices.
- Immense fast multiplication.
- Highly resilient.
- Cockroach bites.
- Secrete bad odor.
An ignored cockroach infestation can lead to many diseases like:
- Food poisoning
- Stomach infections
- Skin Rashes
- Asthma attacks increase if your house is infested with roaches
Signs of Cockroach Infestation
- Discarded cases of hatched eggs.
- Roach feces that resemble coffee powder.
- Pungent or musty odor.
- Dead cockroaches.
- Scurrying sound at night.
- Stomach infections, especially in children.
- Spotting roaches during the day is a sign of severe infestation.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Cockroaches Permanently
1.) Bay Leaves To Repel Cockroaches
Bay leaves are an easily available ingredient in the market and various grocery stores. It is also one of the common ingredients used in various recipes. Now, bay leaves are not just limited to these uses. It is also an effective roach repellent that helps to get rid of cockroaches permanently. This is because of the smell of these leaves that help to ward off the roaches.
- Simply place a bundle of bay leaves in the infested areas of your house.
- The can also be placed at their entry points to keep the roaches away.
- Then leaves can also be placed in bookshelves and wardrobes to protect your books and clothes from infection.
- Also, these are the places where the roaches can easily escape.
2.) Use Ammonia Solution Carefully
Ammonia is the best solution to get rid of cockroaches that hide in drainage pipes, sinks, crevices, etc. It is the best solutions to eliminate roaches and also prevent their entry in the house. This is because of the strong pungent smell of ammonia is what the roaches cannot resist.
- Dilute a cup of ammonia is water and pour it in the sink.
- This will clean out the drainage pipes.
- You can also pour this solution in your toilets.
- Repeat the process until no signs of roaches are visible.
3.) Moth Balls To Repel Roaches
Mothballs are an excellent remedy to ward off the roaches easily. This is because the smell of these balls is what repels the roaches and help to get rid of cockroaches permanently.
- All you need to do is place a few balls at the roach infested areas.
- Keep on replacing the balls as they tend to evaporate with time.
- Regular usage will help to get rid of cockroaches permanently.
NOTE- Moth balls are poisonous, so keep them away from children.
4.) Mint Oil to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Mint is an excellent remedy to eliminate roaches. This is because the strong smell of menthol repel the cockroaches and prevent their entry into your house. Though, mint is not potent and beneficial as other remedies but, is surely a not toxic and natural remedy to eliminate roaches from the house.
- Crush a few fresh mint leaves and extract the juice.
- Mix it water to form a solution.
- Spray it on the infested areas using a spray bottle.
- Repeat regularly until the roaches are gone.
- You can also soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil.
- Apply to the entry points of the roaches.
- This will prevent the roaches from entering.
- Repeat the remedy until they stop coming in.
5.) Listerine for Roaches
Use of Listerine is not just limited to your mouth, it also helps to get rid of cockroaches from the house. This is because it has natural disinfectant properties that are used to eliminate the pest infestation in your house.
- Dilute Listerine in water to form a solution.
- Spray it to the roach infested areas.
- Regular application will help to get rid of cockroaches permanently.
6.) Cedar for Roaches
Cedar is easily available in all forms like balls, chips, blocks, etc. They are an excellent remedy to ward off the roaches from the house including various other pests. This is because the smell of Cedar prevents roaches and other pests to infest in the house. Cedar is also used to line cupboards and closets to keep the pests away.
- Simply place the Cedar balls or chips to the infested areas.
- You can also line the infested areas like closets, kitchen shelves, cupboards, etc with Cedar to eliminate roach intrusion.
- Regular application will help to get rid of cockroaches over time.
7.) Bleach to Eliminate Roaches
Bleach is one of the most common disinfectants used to ward off the pests and especially roaches. This because it kills the roaches and other pests, thus making it an excellent remedy to get rid of roaches.
- Dilute bleach in water and pour it in the sink and toilets.
- The solution will either kill or drown away the roaches and other pests living in these areas.
- Regular application will eliminate the cause for sure.
8.) Lemons to Get Rid of Roaches
The sour smell of lemons is what repels the roaches. Also, it has natural anti-pathogenic properties that helps to get rid of cockroaches easily. This is because roaches and other pests just can’t stand the citric odor.
- Dilute lemon juice with water to prepare a solution.
- Spray to the roach infested areas.
- You can also add a few drops of lemon juice to water used to mop the floor.
- This will help to get rid of cockroaches easily.
9.) Borax to Eliminate Roaches
Borax is an excellent remedy to get rid of cockroaches. This is because when the roaches come in contact with Borax it tends to burn their exoskeletons and acts as a slow poison for them. The affected cockroaches take it back to their nest and kill other roaches as well.
- Simply sprinkle borax to the roach entry points.
- This will kill the roaches and eliminate them from the house easily.
- Repeat until all the roaches are gone
10.) Soap Solution for Roaches
Soap simply clogs the pores making it difficult for the roaches to breathe. This will help to get rid of cockroaches easily if repeated regularly.
- Simply prepare a thick soap solution. (Lemon flavor recommended)
- Drain it in the toilets, kitchen sinks and other drainage pipes.
- You can also spray the solution directly at the pests.
- But, it is a bit hectic and tiring to run behind the pests whenever you see them.
- Regular application will help to get rid of roaches easily.
11.) Cucumber for Roaches
Cucumber helps to get rid of cockroaches, this is because it has many roach repellent properties. Also, it is nontoxic and an organic natural remedy.
- Place a few freshly cut cucumber slices to the infested areas.
- This will help to eliminate roaches easily.
- As an addition, you can also add a few bay leaves with cucumber to get better results.
12.) Boric Acid and Sugar Remedy
This is an effective remedy because sugar acts as a bait for roaches on the other hand boric acid is a poison that will kill roaches. So, the duo serves as an excellent remedy to get rid of cockroaches overnight.
- Simply prepare a mixture of Boric Acid and Sugar.
- Place it on the kitchen shelves, cupboards, and wherever the pests infest.
- Clean the large number of dead roaches the next morning.
- Repeat the remedy until all the roaches are gone
13.) The Vaseline Trap
When nothing works and you wanna show your creativity skills, this is what will help you to get rid of cockroaches. This is because the roaches get stuck in the Vaseline due to its gooey consistency.
- Just use Vaseline to outline the rim of a jar.
- Put in few food items or simply sprinkle sugar in the jar.
- This will act as the bait for the roaches.
- Place it at the roach infestation areas.
- When the roach tries to reach the bait, they will get stuck in the Vaseline.
- Repeating the process several times will help to eliminate all the roaches from the house.
14.) The Coffee Trap to Kill Cockroaches
The other effective method to eliminate roaches is The Coffee Trap. This is because Coffee powder clogs their pores making it difficult for them to breathe. Thus, the roaches die easily.
- Just fill the bottom of the jar with coffee powder.
- The caffeinated aroma will surely attract these pesky little creatures.
- Fill the jar with water to drown the roaches when they try to get in for the bait.
- Also, repeat the remedy to get rid of cockroaches permanently.
15.) Insecticide Spray to Get Rid of Cockroaches
There are thousands of chemical insecticide sprays available in the market that contains Cyfluthrin, which is very efficient in getting rid of the roaches fast. Spray the insecticide in the infesting areas of roaches such as cracks in the wall, drainage areas, vent, in the trash can etc. Cockroaches usually produce in warm and damp areas.
- It is important that you follow all the safety instructions while spraying the insecticide.
- Keep your children and pets away from the insecticide.
16.) Cockroach Bait to Kill Cockroaches
The cockroach bait consists of a chemical gel which works as slow poison for the cockroaches. The roaches will get attracted to the bait and will also bring their family to the bait. The entire cockroaches will be removed within two weeks.
Keep the bait where the cockroaches roam frequently such as near the vents, cracks on the floor, trash can, cabinets, bathrooms, under the sink, etc. Cockroaches will consume the bait and may carry it to their nest exposing to other roaches as well to eat the poison in the bait.
17.) Pepper, Garlic and Onion Solution to Kill Cockroaches
When you combine these three ingredients together a smell is created which is unbearable for the cockroaches. All you need to do is take one liter of water and add one tablespoon of pepper. Add half mashed onion and some garlic cloves. Mix some liquid soap and sprinkle this solution in every corner of your house. You can even mop your kitchen counters and floor with this solution.
18.) Lilac Oil to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Lilac oil is a very good choice if you do not want to try synthetic methods to get rid of cockroaches. The highly volatile components present in lilac oil act as an insect deterrent. It is less toxic and cheap than chemical repellents. All you need to do is fill a regular sized spray bottle with water. Mix one tablespoon of lilac oil. Spray this solution in the infested areas.
Tips To Keep in Mind While Killing Cockroaches:
The given remedies for cockroaches are very useful in getting rid of roaches from your home, however you need to take responsibility of certain things while attempting to get rid of cockroaches permanently:
- If you are using chemicals and insecticides to get rid of roaches, maximum care should be taken to stop the inhalation of chemicals. These chemicals may affect breathing problems and lung inflammation in your body.
- The baits and chemicals used for eliminating the roaches may contain some harmful ingredients for children and pets. So always keep the chemicals and baits in places not easily accessible to pets or children.
- Keep your kitchen area and bathroom, dry to prevent being the breeding area of roaches.
- Cleaning the kitchen floors and counters using disinfectant liquids will resist the entrance of roaches.
- Keep the food containers sealed. Make sure that dirty dishes are not left outside overnight.
- Cockroaches can’t live without water for more than a week. So discard any water leakage by fixing it properly.
- Always store your cooking pots and vessels upside down to avoid cockroach eggs or droppings in them.
- If you are killing cockroaches manually, then clean up the place immediately.
- Clean the house with non toxic disinfectants.
- Keep all the rubbish in trash cans that are covered with a lid.
- Make sure there are no holes in the walls and cupboards.
- Vacuum your house on a regular basis.
- Keeping naphthalene balls in various parts of the house like inside the cabinets and clothes to prevent cockroaches as they hate the smell of naphthalene.