How to Get Rid of Ants in Plants, Hunker
How to Get Rid of Ants in Plants
- 1 How to Get Rid of Ants in Plants
- 2 Ants in Plants
- 3 Aphids Attract Ants
- 4 Pesticide for Ants in Plants
- 5 Getting Rid of Ants
- 6 12 Ways To Get Rid Of Ants Naturally And Effectively
- 7 Well, is there any natural way to get rid of ants in the kitchen or anywhere?
- 8 Before starting: Know your Enemy
- 9 Follow the Spy
- 10 How to Get Rid Of Ants In A Car :
- 11 How to get ants out of a flower pot
- 12 Ants in flower pots — how to get rid?
- 13 The reasons for the appearance of ants in a flower pot
- 14 Preventive measures against the appearance of ants
- 15 Why do ants start in flowers?
- 16 How to protect a flower
- 17 About the causes
- 18 Why is this happening
- 19 About breeding methods
- 20 Ant funds on the site
- 21 How to Bring Ants out of Flower Pots
- 22 Ant Prevention
Ants in your garden can feel threatening. After all, they are insects and usually don’t travel alone. When you see lines of ants heading up the sides of container plants or streaming into a garden bed, it can feel like an invasion. But stop and take a deep breath. The fact is, ants in house plants are often are beneficial insects. They don’t hurt your plants and can actually aid them. But if you want to reduce their numbers or nudge them into moving on, you have more than one option.
Ants in Plants
Ants and plants seem to go together. If you have any sort of a garden at all, you’ll probably see ants from time to time. This can include ants in potted plants, ants in flower pots and ants in house plants. So what’s a gardener to do?
The first thing to do is reflect on the role ants play in a garden. Tunneling ants are little rototillers, aerating the soil like earthworms do and redistributing nutrients. They also help recycle by collecting dead insects and transforming then into soil fertilizer. Ants also help disperse seeds, especially with flowering plants.
Ants aren’t interested in munching your plants as some bugs do. Instead, they are looking for stem nectar. They will get rid of plant-eating bugs that can harm your plants in order to dislodge them from sticky stems and leaves. And in that role, they also protect some insects, such as the caterpillars of some butterfly groups that produce a sweet substance known as honeydew. The ants love honeydew and look after the caterpillars until they become butterflies. In turn, ants serve as food for other beneficial insects, frogs, toads, birds and even some mammals.
Aphids Attract Ants
If your ants happen to be one of the few types that are bad for your garden, such as carpenter ants or stinging fire ants, you’ll want to get rid of them. You may also want to reduce the population of regular ants in potted plants or house plants. One way to do this is to take out the aphids.
Although some caterpillars produce the honeydew ants love, much more is produced by aphids, a true type of nuisance bug in the garden. Just like ants herd and protect caterpillars that produce honeydew, they do the same with aphids. You want to get rid of aphids anyway because they suck out plant juices and damage plants. Just blast them off the plants with a hose or use a spray bottle with a mix of water and dish soap. Once the aphids are gone, the ant population will decrease significantly.
Pesticide for Ants in Plants
Perhaps the easiest method of getting rid of ants is to use ant bait stations. You buy them commercially and set them in the house or outside where ants are a problem. Yes, these are pesticides. Ants die when they collect the bait from the station and take it back to the colony.
Getting Rid of Ants
If you don’t want to turn to pesticides for ants in plants, there are various ways you can kill ants without chemicals. One natural ant killer for the garden is a substance called diatomaceous earth. This natural substance, available in hardware stores, kills ants without hurting plants. But you’ll need to wash it off any harvest after treatment. And, like other ways of killing ants, it is likely to kill other beneficial insects as well.
Some people swear that a mix of red paper flakes and chili pepper, crushed and spread around your plants, keeps ants away. Others use a spray of hot sauce and water. Some experts recommend a spray made from equal parts of vinegar and water. If you find a nest in the soil, flooding it with water from the hose should reduce the population.
12 Ways To Get Rid Of Ants Naturally And Effectively
Last Updated on December 6, 2016
It is a good morning. Actually, it was a good morning until I saw ants’ armies in my kitchen. Ants? Again? Ants are going to make me crazy and you too, I guess. So, how to get rid of ants? It was the question I asked myself in that morning. This trouble must be ended forever.
Of course, it is easy to use insecticides and get quick temporary results. But do you know anything about side effects of insecticides? Do you have kids? It’s another problem.
There is nothing like depending on chemicals. It’s something such as curing a trouble by another, especially when we speak about insecticides.
Well, is there any natural way to get rid of ants in the kitchen or anywhere?
The good news is: There are MANY ways to get rid of ants in the house naturally and far of detrimental substances in insect control.
Before starting: Know your Enemy
There are many types of ants. You needn’t to know them all. But at least, know the general behavior of all types of ants. It is enough to know the types that bother you or it may do, and that’s it.
Why should I do?
Because the following types are the most common and their danger is limited. So, if you see another type you must ask outside help.
Anyway, they are around 5 types (Google for pictures):
Their dangers include losing food (by them or by you when you throw mixed food in trash), bad view of your house, and of course the horrible bites. To get rid of ants in the house you have to know its behavior well.
Ants live in gatherings called colony. Each colony chooses a location to live and store collected food. Almost in daily basis, colony management sends reconnaissance troops (Don’t laugh, I’m serious) to discover the environment (your house in our case).
Then when they find something that worth, they call their full force to collect their piece of the pie and get back to the colony location (anthill or so).
Follow the Spy
What my grandma said is: Don’t kill the spy. Don’t kill the reconnaissance guy but patiently follow him till the whole colony. Once you find their place, bring your weapons and declare the war. My grandma advised me to destroy the whole colony location to avoid ants coming back.
It is a good idea and I know that. It gives you the feeling of revenge. “I destroyed your house like you did with me”. Yes, I know this feeling well.
But what if you couldn’t find their location and want – at least – to reduce their bothering and even prevent their reconnaissance?
Ok, this is the time of the effective and tested methods in this article. This is the suitable time to know best way to get rid of ants naturally without side effects for you or your kids.
How to Get Rid of Ants in Nutshell
The following recipes are well tested and many of my friends told me about. Try one or more of them and you will touch a good result.
1. Vinegar :
It is even hard for us. What about ants? To get rid of ants in the kitchen, use vinegar. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar till the half and complete it with water. Spray the places that you saw ants there (Windows, doors, wholes in corners and so). Ants hate this smell. Vinegar is good smell for us and doesn’t harm kids.
2. Alcohol :
Next time you see ants stop them and shout “Hey, howdy? Come and have a drink.”
Next time you see ants replace vinegar with alcohol, and do the same. I know, you will like that smell though it doesn’t stay for a long period of time. But ants hate it like vinegar or more. It may kill them.
The only two cautions of this method are keeping it (the bottle) away from children or empty it after finishing, and don’t spray it next to a flame source.
3. Aromatic oils to get rid of ants :
Ants hate pungent odors. It makes them crazy, plus it loses him the sense of smell. Some of us like aromatic oils (personally I don’t) and it is good choice for both purposes: Perfuming air and killing ants.
Aromatic oils like mint, clove, cinnamon and camphor oils are very strong smell for ants. Water down any type of them and spray it in the places of ants invading.
4. Spices and Ants War :
You don’t have aromatic oils? No problem. Use the original source of these oils. Plants like mint, clove, cinnamon and camphor are still irritating odor for ants.
Grind a little of one of previous herbs and strew it over the expected places of ants. This was the dry healing. The wet healing is mixing the herb with water in a spray bottle and spaying it in corners and entries.
Also, you can use garlic, black pepper or cinnamon instead.
5. Chalk and Talcum Powder :
Chalk or talcum powder makes a barrier for ants. Ants could never go through a line of chalk or a pinch of talcum powder. (Flour has the same effect)
Make a thick line of chalk around the areas that ants come to. Do the same with powder. Powder will help you more. It will give you the ability to know how ants move and if there is another type of insects in your house.
6. Food Grade DE :
DE is the abbreviation of Diatomaceous Earth. It refers to the fossilized remain parts of marine phytoplankton. It is very sharp against ants. It works as sharp knives and swords against bodies.
Strew DE under cabinet, beside windows, beneath doors, around garbage baskets and where you see ants.
Note: DE works in only a dry condition. Don’t wet it.
7. Cucumber Peels to get rid of ants naturally
If you like cucumber peeled, don’t get rid of peels, because it will be the best natural way to get rid of ants. Believe it or not: Cucumber Peels kill ants. They couldn’t bear its taste.
So, peel some of fresh cucumber. Distribute the peels to the parts you saw ants there. Make sure to replace dry peels with fresh ones in daily basis. Day by day you will notice the disappearance of ants.
8. Sesame Acts like Magic with Ants
“Open Sesame”. It is the magic word you know. But what you don’t know is the magical effect of sesame with ants. Sesame damages the sense of smell for ants. It makes them confused and vagrant. (It is one of my grandma best recipes)
Sesame is a good solution for reconnaissance troops of ants. It deceives them and then they can’t call the rest of colony.
Put enough amount of sesame in a plate near of the places of ants and watch the results.
9. Soda Paste
It’s another home recipe to get rid of ants safely. Soda kills ants, but how to attract ants to Soda Paste? This is the trick. We mix it with sugar.
Here you are the recipe: Mix 1 tablespoon of soda paste with another of sugar. Form the paste as small balls. Put the balls in the areas you saw ants there. Sugar will attract ants to come and soda will kill it.
10. Cayenne Pepper: The HOT Killer
It is one of the most effective ant repellents. Cayenne pepper affects the chemical signals that ants send/receive to locate the places of food or sugar. Ants feel confused and lose their directions.
Mix cayenne pepper with turmeric powder to make a powerful composition against ants. Sprinkle the new mix in the expected places of ants.
Important Note: Don’t use this recipe if you have 6 – 12 months kids. It may harm them.
11. Make it Clean and Fresh with Lemon
Who doesn’t love the smell of lemon? I guess no-one. But ants have another opinion. They don’t like it. Lemon cut off the smell messages between ants. Also, acidic environment of lemon kills ants.
There are many uses of lemon in such a case:
- Peel fresh lemon and throw the peels in the areas you saw ants there.
- Put some of lemon drops into ants’ colony place, or rub some lemon juice beside windows, doors and small corners wholes.
- Cut fresh lemon into small slices and scatter them on the windows and doors, or where you see ants.
Notice: This recipe works well with wet lemon. So keep it wet as much as you can.
12. Liquid Soap :
Soap kills ants. The mix of liquid soap and water suffocates ants. You only need to prepare your weapon (The spray bottle) and the mixture.
Mix 1 tablespoon of dish liquid soap with a cup of water. Spread the liquid along the corners and expected areas of ants or colony.
Another use: Fill the spray bottle with soap and water liquid. Sprinkle it over the ants directly. After 1 minute at most you will see ants’ dead bodies under the soapsuds.
Very Important Note: Each one of above 12 recipes should be used in a daily basis for a certain period of time. You have to be patient. This is the only natural ways to get rid of ants safely.
How to Get Rid Of Ants In A Car :
Your car is a sensitive place to be invaded by ants. I know it’s hard to use all above recipes. But I think aromatic oils, herbs, lemon and sesame are suitable options. Also you can try the following recipes to get rid of ants in your car:
1. Use Adhesive Tape to Get Rid Of Ants
It is effective. Ants are so weak and good types of adhesive tape are good enough to stop them. Use adhesive tape in the places you saw ants invade.
2. Use Insecticides to Get Rid of Ants in the Car
Your car is not a common place for your kids to play. Also, it is not the place you live in. So, you can use insecticides wisely. Do as the follow:
- Choose the time that you are sure you will not use the car for 2 consecutive days at least.
- Use a muzzle or a mask to secure yourself.
- Put the car in the garage.
- Use the insecticide you chose. (Often, it will be a spray)
- After spraying it well, tightly close your car.
- Let it for 12 hours.
- Go back use the spray again.
- Next time before using your car normally, open its doors and windows to renew the air.
- Use it now and you will notice that ants disappeared.
It is easy to get rid of ants naturally by using grandparents’ recipes. Natural recipes have no side effects, safe for kids, affordable and easy to apply.
Now, you have over than 12 recipes to get rid of ants in natural ways. Try one (or more) of them and till us what did well with you.
How to get ants out of a flower pot
Most insects usually attack plants in spring — during the period of fertility and high activity of nature. Ants are very small but intelligent creatures that can cause a lot of trouble if they live not where you thought you were. If they start in home flowers, then this is not so good, since such insects can damage the roots of plants and kill the plant itself. How to get rid of ants in a flower pot so that they leave your house forever, we will tell in this article.
Ants in flower pots — how to get rid?
A good and environmentally friendly way to fight insects is to spread sesame seeds around the plant. If you sprinkle sesame on an anthill, the seeds of the plant infect the fungus. This helps get rid of the uterus of insects quickly enough.
However, at home for flower pots, this method is not entirely suitable. Therefore, we offer you a simple and affordable method for which you will need:
- Large capacity or bath.
- A plant in a pot with insects that have settled there.
To get rid of ants in flower pots, proceed step by step:
- Place the infected flower pot in a large container or bathtub filled with water. The pot itself must be completely filled and immersed in water.
- Leave the pot in water for 30 minutes. During this time, the ants will either run away or drown.
Important! If the flower pot is too large and you can’t move it, then plug the drain hole with plasticine and pour plenty of water into the pot. As in the previous case, leave the plant for 30 minutes, and then remove the clay.
- Remove old soil from the root system.
- Transplant the plant using new soil.
Important! Remove soil with ants away from other indoor plants and dispose of.
- Put the flower pot in its original place and make sure there is nothing nearby that could attract ants.
Important! Peretrum spray can help get rid of ants in a flower pot. Use the product very carefully. First, dilute the peretrum spray with water (10 parts of the product in 90 parts of water), and then water the plant and leave it for 10 minutes to water the glass.
The reasons for the appearance of ants in a flower pot
With the arrival of spring heat, house insects can become a big problem, especially for those people who live on lower floors or in a private house.
Important! Once a year, many winged ants appear in the nest.
- They can easily get into the house under favorable conditions and open windows, create a new family there, numbering hundreds, or even thousands of insects.
- Ants are able to travel long distances in search of food. Perhaps the ants first settled in your apartment, and then chose a flower pot for their settlements.
- Another reason for the appearance of insects is their presence in the brought land. When replanting a flower, you might not have noticed that there are eggs and insect larvae in the ground.
- Before you get rid of the ants in the flower pot, watch them. Perhaps they do not nest inside the pot itself, but somewhere nearby. Then you need to “fend off” the invaders not only saving the pot, but also use modern and old-fashioned methods for sending insects away for these purposes.
Important! You can use special traps for catching insects, filled, for example, with a delicacy of yeast and sugar.
For traps, you can use coffee grounds, which are dangerous for ants. Mix it with sweet juice, sugar syrup or jam. Such a bait will attract them. Using such a tool, you will effectively get rid of ants not only in the pot, but also in the apartment.
Preventive measures against the appearance of ants
To prevent ants from reappearing at your home, take preventative measures:
- Carefully monitor the cleanliness of your kitchen. Do not leave dirty dishes and thoroughly wipe all work surfaces from food debris.
- Do not leave open such products: sweets, meat, bread and other products.
- Store fruits in tightly closed food containers or in the refrigerator.
- Take out garbage more often, which can serve as an ant colony beacon in your kitchen.
- If you have identified the paths for the appearance of ants, then stick an adhesive track 5 cm wide using double-sided tape. This will deter the onslaught of uninvited guests.
- Keep juices, sugary drinks in closed plastic bottles.
- Pour soda, black or red hot pepper near the doors, as well as on the windowsills. This will scare off insects.
- Ants also do not tolerate the smell of cinnamon, basil, peppermint and cloves (spices). If you place scaring folk remedies around the room or on the windowsill, then the ants will smell them and will not return to your house.
- Seal the windows and sprinkle the windowsill with deterrents so that they do not get through the window.
to contents ↑
Why do ants start in flowers?
Ants are planted in indoor flowers for the following reasons:
- irregular cleaning: a full bin, leftover food on the table and floor — they attract the attention of pests,
- ants or their eggs can be brought into the house on clothes or shoes from the street,
- due to the fact that these pests are heat-loving insects, with the advent of cold weather they rush into a person’s housing, ideal conditions for their stay are formed in the absence of hygiene,
- insects can welcome from a neighboring apartment, the owners of which decided to get rid of pests.
Ants in a flower pot
Once in the apartment, the ants will surely choose a flower pot and settle in it. After all, it was in it that favorable conditions were created for the living of pests.
How to protect a flower
If ants are wound up in indoor flowers, it is urgent to get rid of them. Otherwise, the plants may die.
If ants attacked a flower, then to get rid of them, it is necessary to flood their housing. To do this, put the flower pot in a deep, large-diameter container and fill it with water. Without this possibility, you should close the holes for water outlet and fill the pot to the top with water. The bustle of insects will become noticeable in a few minutes.
If ants are found in the ground, then if possible, it is better to change the infected soil. To do this, turn the pot over and gently shake the flower out of it. After that, thoroughly clean the roots and rinse with water to get rid of the eggs laid by the pest.
If there is nothing to replace the contaminated soil, then it must be calcined in the oven for 20 minutes without fail. The earth treated in this way after it cools down can be used for its intended purpose.
Withdrawing ants will help processing the pot and the stem of the indoor flower with garlic or vegetable oil. You can also put a sprig of wormwood, mint, lavender, anise or parsley in the place where the pests accumulate. The smell of these plants is not to the liking of insects, from which they will be forced to go in search of new housing. Similar properties have and tops of tomatoes.
The ants will frighten away the aroma of basil, cinnamon or cloves from the flower. Black and red ground pepper are afraid of insects. It is enough to sprinkle any of these spices near the pot, and the ants will leave the flower forever.
Extermination of ants in flowers
Oatmeal with honey
Fighting ants in home flowers can be done using oatmeal and honey. They are mixed in a ratio of 1: 2, the resulting mass is laid out near a flower pot. Ants are big sweet tooth, so the smell of honey will very quickly attract their attention. But oat flakes act as a poisonous component, by eating which the insects will die.
If ants settled in flower pots, then it is enough to pour millet on the ground. Krupa will clog ant passages, which will force insects to leave their nest. There is another opinion on the use of this recipe. Ants, eating cereals, die due to the fact that millet begins to swell inside them, deforming the organism of pests.
This method is often used to control pest in the garden, however, for indoor plants, it is quite acceptable.
Camphor oil is another effective pest control in the ground. It is enough to dilute 10 drops of camphor oil in 1 liter of warm water and water the infected flowers with the resulting solution. To achieve maximum effect, the procedure is repeated 2-3 times.
Regular cleaning of the apartment will help protect the indoor flower from pests.
About the causes
Ants on flowers
Factors contributing to the appearance of ant foci in flower pots are:
- neglect of regular cleaning: an overflowing garbage bin, the presence of food debris on the surface of the table or on the floor can attract various insects, including ants,
- ant eggs or pests themselves can be brought into the living room if they get on clothing or shoes,
- insects such as ants prefer to choose warm habitats for themselves, which causes them to aspire to the human home (if there is no hygiene in the apartment or house, this will serve as an ideal place for their distribution),
- a colony of ants can move to a neighboring apartment if one of the neighbors decided to start their breeding.
Note. When ants enter the apartment, they settle in an indoor flower pot, where the conditions for their habitation are most favorable.
Why is this happening
Before looking for ways to bring ants out of a pot of flowers, you need to find the reason for their appearance. Experts have proved a close symbiosis between ants and aphids. The latter prefers to use plant juice as a food source. Indoor flowers in pots are the best place to live. It is always warm there, moderately humid and all plants have enough juice.
Ants themselves are able to grow entire colonies of aphids, carefully taking care of its representatives. For these insects, the sweet pad, which is secreted during the life of the aphids, becomes the tidbit. As a result, large colonies of aphids and ants grow on the window in flower pots.
Ants in indoor plants
Also, the reason that ants appeared in flower pots may also be initially contaminated soil. It is often brought flower growers from the forest.
Before the start of the fight, you should carefully study the behavior of insects and determine the place of their localization.
Ignoring the problem threatens the rapid death of your favorite potted plants. After all, after an aphid attack, decorative flowers quickly begin to fade, stop growing and may finally die.
Soap to help
Ant soap solution
At home, it is quite simple to get rid of aphids in flowers. To do this, you can use soapy water:
- Grate a bar of soap on a coarse grater and dilute it in water. The ratio of soap chips and water should be 1:10.
- Spray a flower with a soapy solution.
- It is important to process all the plants in the room and the whole house so that it would not be possible for insects to simply move to neighboring copies. This method will also help to destroy ants in indoor colors.
Another effective way to get rid of pests in flower pots is to help prepare goodies that can kill annoying ants. For this, millet and honey are used. It is necessary to mix the two ingredients and put on a plate next to the infected plant. The sweet component of the product will surely make the insects eat it, and the six-legged digestive system cannot digest the croup. As a result, all individuals who have tasted the delicacy will die and the flowers will be able to fully grow and develop.
Ants have a fairly developed sense of smell to feel food over long distances. Therefore, if ants are wound up on flowers, some plants can be used.
Ants cannot stand the smell of wormwood, mint, parsley and tomato tops. You can simply spread these plants on window sills near flower pots, and pests will quickly leave the occupied territory.
If ants were wound up in indoor flowers, then you can also take off with directed insecticides. In stores, solutions are presented that need to be treated in potted soil. Poison sticks are also offered. For their use, it is enough to insert an insecticide into the ground.
Well-proven special bait. This is one of the most popular means. You can buy them in the store, or you can cook them yourself. To do this, simply mix sugar, honey or other sweetness with a small amount of boric acid. Roll up balls and place them on ant paths.
Thus, the fight against ants in domestic flowers has positive results at the very beginning. The main thing is to take action as quickly as possible until the population has spread and has hit all the domestic vegetation.
About breeding methods
Cases when a flower bed is populated by insects are not uncommon. The most common method of treatment, how to get rid of ants on flowers, is spraying with potent drugs, for example, «Anteater».
To destroy insects without damaging the bud or other parts of the plant, you can use the infusion of aromatic citrus peels or celandine solution, which is prepared by infusing a bunch of flowers for two days.
For home flowers growing in pots, the location of which is the street, for example, on the veranda, you can carry out the procedure of fumigation with tobacco smoke, placed in a plastic bag and left until morning. This method is aimed at destroying aphids and repelling ants.
The safest method for removing ants from the garden is to establish a sweet bait. To do this, the remnants of the old jam are diluted with water (sugar syrup made at home is also suitable), which must be spread out throughout the garden. Thus, instead of breeding aphids, ants will use sugar syrup as food.
Also, ants can be exterminated with a solution based on ammonia in an amount of 10 milliliters per 1 liter of boiling water, which must be filled with an anthill.
A solution based on ammonia from ants
Processing the site with boric acid is an effective, highly effective and harmless measure, both for flowers and for insects that are not pests. With a mixture of powder and sugar, mixed in equal proportions, you can fill up the tree trunk circle, anthill, flower bed or ridge. Thus, after some time, the insects will leave the garden.
Ant funds on the site
The most highly effective remedies for ants on flowers are how to get rid of them:
- Anteater, acting on several species of ants. The affected area is the intestine of the insect, poisoned by diazinon. A paralyzed pest gradually dies. Upon contact with healthy insects, infection is also transmitted to them. The solution is poured onto the anthill,
- Ant form is a drug sold in the form of granules that destroys various types of insects. Based on the contact-intestinal method of exposure. At normal dosage, it is not toxic to the plant. A single treatment will be enough to destroy a large colony.
- Muratsid — a remedy aimed at defeating the ant intestines and nervous system, contributes to its death. The ampoule has a dispenser that allows you to measure the required volume of the drug. Designed for processing, as anthills, and the area around the trees.
- The summer resident is a universal preparation based on essential oils, with a fir aroma. It is realized in the form of a spray.
- Thunder-2, in addition to ants, is able to destroy midges. The granular preparation is laid out in the furrows around the flower plantings — most often it is a rose or peony. Pests die in two days.
Highly effective ant remedies
How to Bring Ants out of Flower Pots
How to Bring Ants out of Flower Pots
There is a list of ways to remove, if ants appeared on the flowers how to fight:
- A widely used well-known popular method of flooding is carried out by placing a flower pot in a large deep container, which must be filled with water. If the home inventory does not have a container of a suitable size, the pot is filled to the top with water. After a few minutes, when it gets into the flooding condition, the pests will almost stop fussing,
- Soil replacement work must be carried out correctly: the pot is turned over and a flower is carefully removed from it. Further, the entire root system is thoroughly cleaned and washed to remove eggs laid by ants,
- The method of applying repellents is to process the pot and trunk with garlic or vegetable oil.
- The list of herbs that drive away ants includes:
- tomato tops
- чёрный перец,
- красный перец.
Травы от муравьёв
Insects do not tolerate the smell of the above herbs, which makes them look for a new habitat.
Useful advice. If it is not possible to replace the infected soil, it must be calcined by placing it in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Soil can be used as intended after cooling.
- You can also catch ants by sticking tape over the flower pot so that the sticky side is facing out,
- A soap solution for exterminating ants is prepared from 1 teaspoon of liquid soap dissolved in 0.5 liters of water. The resulting liquid is poured into the spray gun and used to treat the flower planting by spraying. In addition, it is recommended to pour a little solution into the ground,
- You can exterminate ants by spreading a mass mixed from oatmeal and honey near a container with a flower. Honey is a very smelling component that attracts ants, oatmeal is a poisonous substance for these insects, which, when eaten, they will die immediately,
- When ant foci appear in a flower pot, you can sprinkle the soil with millet. When the cereals are eaten, the ants will die, because due to the swelling of millet inside the insect, its body is deformed,
Note. The method of exterminating ants using millet is considered the most suitable for use in vegetable gardens.
- A solution of camphor oil for excretion is made by diluting 10 drops of this essential component in 1 liter of warm water. The resulting liquid is used to water diseased flowers. Repeat treatment should be 3 times.
You can prevent the occurrence of anthills in a personal plot by conducting gardening events, including:
- timely digging of the earth,
- if you remove the old tree bark,
- laying plant residues in a compost heap when harvesting,
- refusal to plant linden and viburnum in the garden,
- sowing mint, garlic, onions and calendula along the perimeter of the plot,
- rid the land of weeds.
Peppermint on the site as an ant prevention
At home, ants can be prevented as follows:
- remove food from the table
- do not leave dirty dishes
- pick up crumbs
- get rid of stains
- keep garbage in an airtight bag,
- clean the house regularly.
In the garden plots, in most cases, the ants are not completely exterminated, having processed only the necessary plantings. The only exception is the situation when the ants fall into the well. But if they get into home living quarters, they can harm both property and the state of health of the owners of the house or apartment. In this case, the fight against them is mandatory.