Symptoms and treatment of otodectosis in dogs
Odedectosis in dogs: symptoms, treatment, medications
- 1 Odedectosis in dogs: symptoms, treatment, medications
- 2 Symptoms of otodectosis in dogs
- 3 Treatment of otodecosis in dogs, medications
- 4 Ear tick in cats: symptoms and treatment of otodectosis at home
- 5 What are fleas?
- 6 Ear mite in dogs
- 7 What does an ear tick look like in dogs?
- 8 Causes and ways of infection
- 9 Diagnostics
- 10 Complications
- 11 How to treat ear tick in dogs
- 12 How to drip drops in a dog’s ear
- 13 What is an ear tick
- 14 Symptoms of ear scabies in dogs
- 15 Dog ear mite treatment
- 16 Prevention
- 17 Owner Stories
- 18 Tick Drops
- 19 Ointments and gels
- 20 Drops at the withers
- 21 Injection and emulsion solutions
- 22 Conclusion and Choice
With otodecosis in dogs or an ear miteAbout half of pet owners are facing. Its causative agent is the tick Otodectes cynotis, which parasitizes in the auricle of the animal. This is a tiny insect (0.3-0.5 mm) with a gnawing proboscis and suckers on the legs.
Predominantly odotectosis occurs among puppies aged 1.5 to 6 months, regardless of season.
Symptoms of otodectosis in dogs
- The first symptom is that the dogBecomes restless. She tries to rub her ears about different objects, shakes her head, tries to scratch her ears with her paws, while traumatizing the auricle to the blood. As a result, scratches, abrasions, suppuration appear in the ears.
- When examining the ear, it is seen that the auditory canal is hammeredCrusts of dried out exudate. If the disease is complicated, then the inflammatory process extends to the inner and middle ear and then to the meninges.
- The dog looks depressed, with it there are nervous attacks, the body temperature rises, the animal refuses food, tilts the head towards the sick ear.
A dog needs to be shown to the veterinarian to clarify the diagnosis. For this the doctor takes a scraping from the inner surface of the auricle.
Treatment of otodecosis in dogs, medications
- First, it is necessary to clean the auricle of crusts, scales and exudate.
- After that, medication is prescribed. First of all, many acaricides are used to treat the auricle and canal. For example, the drug «Tzipam» destroys adult forms of tick after triple treatment with an interval of 5-7 days.
- The drops are heated to body temperature and with the help ofA syringe equipped with a rubber tube of 1-1.5 mm in diameter is inserted into the external ear canal. The auricle is carefully massaged to distribute the drug evenly. Also the auricle is carefully processed and outside.
- Liniments and ointments are applied with a tampon, carefully covering both the outer and inner surfaces of the auricles.
Also there are special powders, which are poured intoThe auricle, and then it is massaged. In use, they are quite convenient in aerosol packages based on alphametrin. Often, recently injections of ivermectins are used.
The drug of the Deca is popular among dog breeders. It includes a synergized acaricide, which kills mites, as well as wax and propolis. They contribute to the suppression of inflammatory processes.
If there are several animals (dogs and cats) in the house, then all should be treated with drugs from ticks, since they are probably all affected by ear scabies.
Ear tick in cats: symptoms and treatment of otodectosis at home
The most common type of flea found on cats is the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis), but rabbit and hedgehog fleas can also show an interest in your cat! Flea bites are itchy for all cats, and can lead to some developing allergies (known as flea-allergic dermatitis). As if fleas weren’t pesky enough, they can also provide a thriving environment for certain types of tapeworm, and heavy infestations can cause anaemia in kittens.
However there’s no need to worry, as there are plenty of treatment options available to keep you cat flea free.
What are fleas?
Cats are excellent groomers, so it might be tough to imagine your preened pet catching parasites! The most obvious sign that your cat has fleas is persistent scratching, or sometimes over-grooming, which can result in bald patches on their coat. If your cat develops a flea allergy they may also have scabs and red, sore areas on their skin. Regularly grooming your cat won’t necessarily prevent parasites, but it will at let you have a chance to check their fur for any signs of unwanted visitors, so that you can quickly seek treatment.
Cat fleas are dark brown and 1-2mm long. You might spot them in your carpet or notice tiny black specks of flea waste in your cat’s fur during combing. A good way to test for fleas is to put these black specks onto some damp tissue paper – if it is from a flea, the specks will turn red because of the digested blood they contain.
Fleas thrive in warm, humid environments which means late summer is the peak season for fleas on cats, although central heating in winter means you’ll need to de-flea your cat throughout the year.
Ear mite in dogs
A malicious tick settles in the auricle and begins its vital activity. Digs passages in the epidermis, feeding on skin, sulfur, regularly secreting digested metabolic products.
The tick not only causes discomfort, but also causes significant harm to health, provokes serious complications.
You can understand the presence of otodectosis by the behavior of the dog: it becomes restless, constantly scratching the ears. You must immediately get rid of the tick in order to avoid unpleasant consequences.
What does an ear tick look like in dogs?
Ear mites in dogs are arachnids, a subclass of arthropods. Not visible to the human eye. The length of the parasite does not exceed half a millimeter.
The body of the tick is oval, the color is beige, which makes it invisible on the skin. Outwardly, the pest resembles a small spider (see photo).
The life cycle of the parasite lasts 20-25 days, depending on temperature conditions. During this time, the tick goes through five stages of development, from the larva to the adult. Outside the body, it can last about three weeks, at a negative temperature it lives no more than five days.
The described ticks affect not only dogs, but also cats, rabbits, ferrets, arctic foxes, sables, foxes. In humans, Otodectes cynotis do not parasitize.
Causes and ways of infection
A dog of any age, gender, breed can become infected with otodectosis. However, at risk are pets with weak immunity.
In most cases, pathology affects puppies and young animals up to a year old, whose natural defense has not yet been sufficiently strengthened.
Ear scabies in dogs does not depend on the season — you can pick up a tick at different times of the year.
Otodectosis is transmitted in the following ways:
in close contact with an infected animal. Both a dog and a cat can be a distributor; puppies often get the disease from their mother, through general care items, from their owner’s hands, clothes and shoes, on the street (dog walking area, grass, a pile of garbage).
Signs of an ear tick in dogs appear to varying degrees, depending on the severity of the pathology. The more neglected the disease, the stronger the symptoms.
Determine otodectosis by external changes. The habitat of the parasite becomes inflamed, turns red and swells. The inner side of the shell is contaminated with mite waste products, covered with black, dark brown crusts.
The animal feels discomfort, the following symptoms are noted:
Severe, continuous itching. The pet constantly combes the ear, often tearing it to blood, or rubs against surrounding objects. Unnatural position of the head. The dog tilts its head in the direction where it feels restless. Purulent discharge. In severe cases of the disease, nervous disorders are possible.
A bright clinical picture is characteristic of otodectosis, so if you suspect a pathology, you should contact a veterinary clinic.
To find out the exact diagnosis, the doctor conducts an examination, asks the owner of the pet about the symptoms, appoints laboratory tests.
The ear tick in dogs is noticeable when examining the affected area with an otoscope. This device has magnifying and illuminating properties, which make it possible to clearly see the parasite.
You can confirm otodectosis with a scraping. To do this, take material from contaminated areas of the inner side of the ear. The resulting sample is fixed on a glass slide and examined under a microscope.
The diagnosis is made on the basis of all the data obtained, the severity of the disease is determined and a treatment regimen is developed.
Poor or untimely therapy, as well as its absence, leads to a serious blow to health. The development of otodectosis causes a violation of the integrity of the eardrum. The infection spreads to the middle and inner ear of the dog. Next, the brain is affected, the progression of inflammatory processes in the membranes of the organ.
Thus, in a pet infected with otodectosis, the following pathologies occur:
Otitis — inflammation of the middle ear, accompanied by purulent discharge and high fever. Perhaps the presence of putrefactive odor. Labyrinthitis — the presence of an inflammatory focus in the inner ear, due to which the dog suffers coordination, coordination of movements is lost, the head is tilted. Meningitis — manifested by nausea, vomiting photosensitivity. Epileptic seizures, convulsions are noted. In advanced cases, paralysis progresses, blindness develops, and death occurs.
How to treat ear tick in dogs
It is not easy to treat otodectosis, it is required to undergo therapy with antiparasitic drugs. In severe cases of the disease, more than one course is needed to completely get rid of the pathology.
The medicine for an ear tick for external use is applied only to clean areas of the epidermis. Therefore, dirt is removed from the skin.
The scabs accumulated in the ears are pre-softened with hydrogen peroxide, boric acid, lotion or other antiseptic agents. Then they are carefully cleaned and the drug is applied.
In most cases, acaricidal treatment is carried out twice, depending on the life cycle of the tick.
Insecticidal drugs are toxic, so they are used strictly according to the instructions in compliance with the prescribed dosages. If adverse reactions occur in the animal, the medication is canceled.
This form of drug release is convenient to use, it is easy to measure the desired dosage. In the treatment of otodectosis, ear drops are most often used:
- Dekt. A comprehensive remedy for various types of ticks. It destroys parasites at any stage of development due to the destruction of the arthropod nervous system. The antibiotic included in the composition fights the infection at the sites of injury to the skin. Propolis suppresses foci of inflammation, has analgesic and antimicrobial properties. Drip 3-5 drops of medicine into each ear, massage lightly. Compliance with this measure guarantees the absence of toxicity. Not suitable for pregnant dogs and puppies up to a month.
- Front Line Spot-On. The active substance fipronil causes paralysis and death of arthropods.
Drops of Ear-Mite Treatment, Tresaderm, Fiprist Spot-On, Tsipam, Otedin, Attorney, Stronghold are also used to treat otodectosis. The last 2 preparations are intended for application to the withers of a pet.
Ointments, gels and emulsions
They have a dense texture, soft and long lasting effect. Against otodectosis effective:
- Sulfur-tar ointment. Designed for external application to areas affected by ticks. Smear a thin layer, rub a little. Apply twice a day until complete relief from otodectosis (average 7-10 days). The drug destroys the pest, inhibits the pathogenic activity of microorganisms. Safe for dogs of all ages, no contraindications.
- Birch tar. It has an insecticidal effect, heals injured integuments, destroys pathogenic microorganisms. To treat the skin, a warm ointment is taken, heated to 40 degrees. Apply twice a day. The course of treatment is twice with a break of one week.
- Amidel gel. Acaricidal means of contact action. Provokes a strong excitement of ticks, leading to death. It has a powerful analgesic and wound healing effect. The dosage is half a milliliter of drug per kilogram of animal mass. Contraindicated in pregnant females, puppies up to two months old, dogs susceptible to infectious pathologies and exhaustion.
In addition to ointments, Epatsid Alpha and Butox 50 emulsion is used to treat the affected auricle. In case of complicated otodectosis, Oridermil is used.
The advantage of this form is uniform spraying in the affected area. Quickly and conveniently handle large areas. Before each use, the spray can is shaken. For therapeutic purposes, prescribe:
- Acrosol. Effective means of contact action, intended for the treatment of otodectosis. Sprayed to the desired area within one second. For deeper penetration of the components of the drug, the ear is bent and lightly massaged. Processed twice, with a break of one week. It is forbidden to use puppies up to a month.
- Front line. Insect acaricidal preparation for different types of fleas, ticks, and lice eaters. Destroys both adult insects and their larvae. Due to the oily components, it remains on the skin for a long time, preventing re-infection.
Sprays are sprayed at a distance of ten centimeters from the lesion. Processing is carried out in the open air or in a ventilated room.
If the dog does not have certain restrictions on the use of injectable solutions, it is recommended to use this type of therapy.
Tick control agents in the form of injections cope not only with external pests, but also destroy internal parasites. They have a longer effect than medicines for external treatment. In veterinary medicine apply:
- Otodectin. Antiparasitic drug aimed at eliminating external and internal pests at any phase of development. The dosage for dogs is calculated as 0.2 milliliters of the drug solution per kilogram of weight. Valid for two weeks, completely excreted in the urine. Injections are recommended in the shoulder blade or forearm.
- Ivermek 1%. Solution of systemic action. The active substance leads to paralysis and subsequent death of external, ocular, gastrointestinal parasites. Active in the body of the animal for 10-14 days. Use once, administered intramuscularly. The maximum dosage is 0.2 milliliters per 10 kilograms of mass.
- The inverse of 0.5%. It is administered twice with a break between injections of 1-1.5 weeks.
The last two drugs are contraindicated for use in Sheltie and Collie breeds.
Therapy at home rarely leads to recovery of the dog. It is impossible to remove the tick only with folk remedies. However, this method is a good addition to the main treatment prescribed by a doctor. It is especially effective at the initial stage of otodectosis.
The following recipes are suitable for treating a tick-affected ear of a dog:
- Strongly brewed black tea without additives or flavors.
- Sunflower oil with one part iodine solution.
- Kerosene mixed with olive oil in equal proportions.
Folk methods have several advantages:
natural composition, lack of toxicity, no side effects and contraindications, with the exception of hypersensitivity to the components of the substance.
How to drip drops in a dog’s ear
Treatment of otodectosis with the use of drops has its own characteristics. First of all, both auditory organs of the animal are processed, even if there is only one infection. Before applying the medicine, study the instructions. Attention is paid to dosage and contraindications.
The procedure is carried out in several stages:
- The dog’s head is fixed in a fixed position.
- Bend the edge of the ear.
- Drop the medicine in the volume indicated in the instructions.
- Drops are evenly distributed by massage movements.
What is an ear tick
Ear mite — a microscopic ectoparasite that lives in the inner ear of a dog. The scientific name for this tick is Otodectes cynotis. The eight-legged parasite, similar to a spider, is very small, its size does not reach 1 mm. The environment in the dog’s ear is ideal for the growth, development and reproduction of a tick.
Once in the ear, the parasite gnaws at the skin — it feeds on lymphatic (sucrose) and tissue fluids. Female ticks are very prolific, they are able to lay 5 to 10 eggs per day. After a few days, larvae hatch from the eggs, which in three weeks reach adulthood and puberty. If treatment is not started, this process can continue indefinitely..
Infection of the dog population with ear mites is very high. However, not all infected dogs suffer from otodectosis. In order for the colony of parasites to multiply so much that the dog becomes ill, certain conditions must exist.
At risk for otodectosis:
- Young dogs (up to 6 months).
- Long-eared breeds and dogs with furry ears: spaniels, yorks, dachshunds.
- Hunting dogs. May be infected by wild animals.
- Puppies not treated with antiparasitic drugs.
- Immunocompromised dogs, sick animals, pets in recovery, exhausted dogs.
- Cohabiting animals in shelters, dog hotels.
- Homeless, stray dogs.
The main source of ear scabies infection is stray dogs. Try to protect your pet from contact with them.
Not a single dog is protected against infection by ear mites, therefore all owners
must know where these parasites come from.
A dog may become infected with otodectosis:
- in contact with a sick animal (dog, cat, ferret, fox),
- puppies with unformed immunity — from a mother infected with a tick,
- through a person who has had contact with a carrier animal,
- through common care items and dog accessories (combs, collars, leashes, bedding, toys),
- through external parasites — fleas can be carriers of tick larvae,
- through street shoes and man’s clothes.
Observe precautions: do not use other people’s accessories, do not allow the dog to come in contact with dirty street shoes and clothes.
Is it possible to see an ear tick
Without special devices, it is very difficult to recognize this parasite — it has microscopic dimensions. But, if the dog constantly scratches the ear and you see black dirt in the auricle, you can try to do this before visiting the clinic.
- a sheet of black (dark paper),
- cotton buds,
- magnifying glass (magnifier),
- bright source of light (flashlight, table lamp).
- take a cotton swab and carefully collect the contents of the auricle,
- make a swab with a cotton swab on a piece of black paper,
- point a bright light source onto the smear area,
- try examining a smear through a magnifying glass.
If you see microscopic white moving points — it means the dog is infected with an ear tick.
Even if you were able to consider parasites, the veterinarian should be diagnosed after examining the dog and clinical studies.
The consequences of infection — what is the danger
Do not underestimate the danger of infection with ear mites. The parasite is very small, but the consequences of otodectosis can be serious and dangerous to the health and life of the pet.
- Decreased and total hearing loss.
- Joining a secondary infection, suppuration of the ear.
- The inflammatory process in the eardrum, a violation of its integrity.
- In rare cases, death.
Only timely diagnosis and the right treatment regimen can protect your pet from these serious consequences of otodectosis.
Symptoms of ear scabies in dogs
You should know how otodectosis is manifested. As soon as you notice at least one of these signs in your pet, show the dog to the veterinarian immediately. Ear mites reproduce very quickly, so it is important to start treatment immediately.
Signs indicating ear scabies:
- severe itching
- the dog shakes its head, as if it wants to shake something out of its ear,
- the animal often tilts its head to its side,
- scratched head and ears
- hard discharge from the ears of a dark color (grains similar to ground coffee),
- bad breath
- baldness around the auricles, scabs,
- depressed condition of the dog, refusal of food.
All these symptoms can be the result of other diseases (allergies, dermatitis), so do not self-medicate. Give the veterinarian an opportunity to inspect the dog, take biological material from it for research.
Do not try to clean the ear of your dog yourself before visiting the clinic — in the ear there should be discharge for examination for the presence of a tick.
Dog ear mite treatment
We want to warn lovers of folk and non-traditional methods of treatment — don’t even try, this parasitic disease cannot be treated in such ways. Do not experiment or waste time. Otodectosis is treated only with traditional medicine!
Owners of sick pets should be prepared for long-term therapy. Ear scabies is treated from one to several months. The treatment regimen and drugs are prescribed by the veterinarian depending on the severity of the disease. He makes a decision — whether the dog needs hospital treatment or whether it is possible to carry out therapy at home.
Inpatient treatment may be needed if the vestibular apparatus of the ear is affected. The doctor will leave the animal in the clinic for further observation and therapy. If necessary, a decision will be made on surgery. All other cases do not require treatment in the clinic, the animal after examination and appointments, released home.
How to clean your dog’s ears
First try brushing your ears without fixing the animal. If this does not work out, ask someone in the household to help you. Small dogs and puppies can be wrapped in a towel or plaid. If your dog is aggressive, put a muzzle on it so that it does not bite you.
- instill in each ear a few drops of saline and massage the base of the auricle for 2-5 minutes.,
- after that, straighten the dog’s ear and begin to clean the ear gently with a cotton pad soaked in saline or ear cleaning lotion,
- change drives as often as possible
- handle all anatomical grooves to thoroughly clean the ear.
Hygienic lotions for ears:
- Bars (Russia),
- BEAPHAR Ear Cleaner (Netherlands),
- VEDA (Russia),
- Otifri (Poland),
- Pchelodar «Ushastik» (Russia),
- PROSENSE Ear Cleansing Liquid (USA),
- Epic-Otique (France),
- 8 in 1 EXCEL (USA).
Do not use hydrogen peroxide or other aggressive products to clean the inside of your ear. These drugs can only be used for spot treatment of abrasions and wounds on the auricle.
What is included in the treatment regimen of otodectosis
The treatment process for ear scabies includes several mandatory steps:
- Elimination of itching and pain. For this, antihistamines and antiseptics are used.
- Thorough cleaning of the ear from secretions and dirt. Both hygienic solutions for the ears and saline are used.
- Acaricidal preparations. The type, brand and frequency of processing is prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Prophylactic treatment against external parasites (ticks, fleas, lice).
- Antibacterial and antifungal therapy — is prescribed in case of secondary infection.
When prescribing a treatment regimen, the doctor takes into account the condition of the dog, its age, degree of invasion, and the presence of secondary infections. Each of the stages is important in the treatment regimen of otodectosis.
How to apply medicine or drip drops
- Dogs with long-haired breeds are cut hair from the inner surface of the ears for the duration of the treatment to increase the effectiveness of the treatment procedures.
- The auricle is turned out — carefully straightened towards the back of the head.
- The nose of a bottle with drops or a tube of ointment is introduced into the ear canal so that the medicine can be dosed.
- After applying the medicine, the ear is returned to its original position and carefully massaged for 1 minute.
- If the manipulations cause discomfort to the animal, you need to calm him and distract him with a treat or a toy.
Pathology refers to highly infectious, therefore, all animals that come into contact with a sick dog should be subjected to antiparasitic treatment. In addition, pet habitats are disinfected.
Dog otodectosis medications
The best remedy for otodectosis. Highly effective drug manufactured by Zoetis (Pfizer) (USA). It destroys ear mites and serves as a preventive measure against re-infection. The tool is characterized by low toxicity. The drug has a complex effect, fights against external and internal parasites.
The medicine dropper is cut and squeezed out all the contents onto the skin along the spine. Single use required. The medicine enters the dog’s bloodstream and destroys ticks. If necessary, the doctor may prescribe a second treatment a month after the first application.
- puppies up to 1.5 months.,
- pregnancy and lactation,
- weakened immunity, the period of recovery after illness,
- violation of the integrity of the eardrum,
- individual intolerance.
Price: 3 pipettes — 1170-2600 rubles / 180-900 UAH.
The drug directed action is effective only against the ear tick. Ear drops relieve itching, act healing. The medicine is practically not absorbed into the skin of the animal, it acts locally.
Before instilling the medicine, the dog’s ears are cleaned of scabs and dirt. After that, the drops are instilled into each ear. Dosage: small dogs — 3 cap., Medium — 4 cap., Large — 5 cap. processing is repeated after 5-7 days.
- individual allergic reaction,
- violation of the integrity of the eardrum,
- puppies up to 2 months.,
- weakened and sick animals.
Price: bottle (10 ml.) — 90 rubles / 40 UAH.
Front Line Spot He
Drops of the French production with high efficiency against an ear tick. Available in drops, packaging — individual disposable pipette. Effective against larvae and adults. It has a complex effect, destroys fleas, whipworms, lice and ixodid ticks.
4-6 drops are instilled into the cleaned ears. After that, the ears are massaged at the base. Processing is performed once.
- puppies up to 2 months.,
- individual intolerance.
Price: 1 pipette — 550 rubles / 260 UAH.
Insect acaricidal drug for the treatment of otitis media and otodectosis. Relieves itching and inflammation, destroys ear mites, serves as an effective preventive measure.
The prescribed number of drops is instilled into both ears — from 2 to 5. The treatment is carried out twice a day for 3-7 days.
- violation of the integrity of the eardrum,
- individual allergic reaction.
Price: bottle (25 ml.) — 550 rubles.
Ointment for ear scabies. A broad-spectrum drug is prescribed for dogs with otodectosis, which is complicated by a bacterial or fungal infection.
Hygienic cleaning of the ears is carried out and 0.5 cm of ointment is introduced into the ear canal. Then massage the base of the ear for 1 minute.
- animal weight less than 1.5 kg.,
- violation of the integrity of the eardrum,
- individual intolerance.
Price: tube (10 gr.) — 800 rubles / 200 UAH.
During treatment, it is likely that some of the parasites will leave the ear. Inspect your pet, observe its behavior. If necessary, the veterinarian can prescribe additional treatment of the dog with antiparasitic drugs (Bars, Prazitsid).
Otodectosis is a very contagious disease that requires a long course of treatment. To protect your pet from this infection, you need to perform the following prevention methods:
- Inspect and clean your pet’s ears weekly using hygiene products.
- Perform antiparasitic treatment of the dog quarterly.
- Observe hygiene measures. Keep the animal habitat clean.
- Never use other people’s accessories and care items (leashes, collars, toys, combs).
- Monthly clean the premises with insecticides.
- Avoid direct contact of the dog with stray dogs.
Can a dog pass an ear tick to other pets
Yes. At risk are dogs, cats, ferrets, raccoons. All animals in contact must undergo treatment.
Can a person get an ear tick from a dog
Yes, the tick can cross over to the human body, but they only parasitize on animals, they quickly die on humans. The risk of infection is minimal, no need to be afraid of contact with your pet due to the fact that the tick is transmitted to humans.
However, some people who are prone to allergic reactions may develop a condition called “false scabies”. Symptoms of this allergic reaction are similar to the symptoms of otodectosis. This condition does not require treatment — as soon as the dog is cured, the person will lose all symptoms.
Svetlana: “We took the dog from the shelter. She constantly combed one ear. When the veterinarian examined her, it turned out that she had ear scabies. The doctor prescribed Otoferonol Gold Drops and said they were effective. Treated both ears three times. There was a weekly interval between treatments. The dog was cured, it was possible to get rid of ticks. For prevention, they treated the dog with Prazicide, it helps to remove all external parasites. ”
Nikita: “Where my dog picked up this infection, I did not understand. I admit honestly that I did not look into the ears of my pet, and did not know how to understand that the dog was sick. We went to the vet when he combed his ear to the blood. They took a scraping from us and found a tick under a microscope. The doctor himself cleaned my Rex’s ears, I had little idea how to do this. We were prescribed drops at the stronghold withers. They need to be applied once. A month later, we appeared to the veterinarian; we did not find ticks in the dog. ”
Ear Cleaner from GlobalVet
Ear Cleaner is usually used for prophylaxis — with regular use, it reduces the risk of infections and tick infections. But the lotion is also good for cleansing from sulfur, dirt, crusts, parasitic waste products.
Ear Cleaner disinfects with sodium hydrogen phosphate and benzalkonium chloride, dries the dermis due to the presence of sodium chloride and zinc sulfate, and promotes wound healing thanks to glycerol. This is a good medicine in terms of price / quality ratio — it is sold at 350-400 p.
Sponges are moistened with lotion and rubbed on the skin. After instill 5-10 drops. and massage the ears at the base. When otodectosis is used 2-3 times a day, for prevention — 1-2 times a week.
|1. Surolan||700 p.|
|2. Oricin||450 p.|
|3. Bars||150 p.|
|4. Amitrazine||100 p.|
|5. Aurican||480 p.|
|6. Dekt||120-150 p.|
|7. Otoferonol Gold||110-130 p.|
|8. Anandin Plus||60-70 p.|
|9. Restored||60 p.|
|10. Tsipam||160 p.|
|11. Amit Forte||200 p.|
|12. Bio-Groom Ear Mite Treatment||450 p.|
Drops for ears — the most common dosage form for otodectosis. Popularity is explained by ease of use: to instill funds, it takes 2-3 seconds.
The drug is a complex action. It is used when otodectosis is complicated by otitis media. Renders:
- antibacterial effect — due to the antibiotic polymyxin,
- antimycotic — due to the presence of miconazole nitrate,
- antipruritic and anti-inflammatory — thanks to the glucocorticoid prednisolone.
Surolan is instilled in 5 cap. in each ear daily for 2 weeks. It is safe for pregnant and lactating bitches. But drops are prohibited during perforation of the eardrum and individual intolerance.
Cost — 700 r. per bottle of 15 ml, 1 100 p. — per 30 ml vial.
It is prescribed for ear scabies complicated by bacterial or fungal otitis media. Oricin has a complex effect due to:
- nitrofurazone — a broad-spectrum antibacterial substance,
- ivermectin — leads to the death of ticks,
- sodium propionate — inhibits the spread of fungi,
- tetracaine — anesthetizes.
Before use, remove dirt, crusts, sulfur. After instill 2 drops. small breeds of dogs, 3-4 — medium, 5 — large. The ears are folded with an envelope and massaged at the base so that the liquid is better distributed.
If the dog shakes its head after instillation, it is fixed for 2-3 minutes. If it gets on the wool, wipe the product.
The most popular tick drops.
Sold at every pet store, and are cheap — about 150 rubles. However, they cause irritation and allergies in dogs with diazinon intolerance.
Bars are instilled by 3-5 cap. After a week, the treatment is repeated. If the medication did not help, they pick up another one.
Another inexpensive drug — sold for 100 r. for the bubble. It works comprehensively: relieves itching, inflammation and pain, soothes the skin, kills bacteria and parasites.
At the heart of the drug is a solution of amitrazine with dimexide. If the dog is allergic to these substances, they choose another remedy. Also, the drug can not be used in pregnant bitches.
Sponges moisten Amitrazine and wipe the skin. Or instill 3-5 drops. The frequency of use is every 3 days, the maximum number of procedures is 6.
The medication disinfects, adversely affects ticks and bacteria. Additionally, Aurican relieves inflammation, itching and anesthetizes. In addition, the tool softens the caked crusts, contributes to their withdrawal. Therefore, the medicine is suitable for complex forms of otodectosis, when the animal does not allow the ears to be treated with lotions or ointments due to pain.
Buried every day for a week. After — every 3-4 days for a month. Dosage in drops:
- 5 — for dogs of small breeds,
- 10-15 — for medium dogs,
- 20-30 — for large and giant breeds.
Aurikan is worth 480 p.
Inexpensive complex remedy for the treatment of ear scabies — Dektu sell for 120-150 p. Suitable for the treatment of otodectosis complicated by otitis media.
Amitraz in the composition leads to the death of adult ticks and their larvae. Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic effective against most types of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Propolis inhibits the growth of microbes, fungi, relieves inflammation, stimulates repair.
Dektu instill 3-5 cap. in each ear. After 5-7 days, the procedure is repeated. The maximum number of treatments is 3.
Decta is prohibited for pregnant, malnourished animals, dogs with infectious diseases and kittens for up to a month.
Effective and cheap ear drops. Adversely affect adult and larval forms, eliminate the disease in just 1-2 weeks. And they cost 110-130 rubles.
Thanks to cycloferon, Otoferonol Gold is prescribed when a viral infection is attached. And the propolis extract in the composition has anti-inflammatory, disinfectant and wound healing properties.
Apply Otoferonol Gold 3-5 cap. into each sink once. If the symptoms have not disappeared within a week, the treatment is repeated.
Contains antibiotics, acaricidal and anti-inflammatory substances. Inexpensive (costs 60-70 rubles), but toxic. Therefore, you cannot:
- process doggie near fish and bees,
- apply the medicine with bare hands — put on rubber gloves,
- apply to pregnant and lactating bitches,
- smoke, drink, eat during the procedure.
During treatment, increased salivation, itching.
Instill 3-5 drops., After massaging the ears at the base. Manipulations are carried out once a day until recovery — usually within 3-7 days. If the symptoms do not go away, the therapy is repeated. The treatment is not interrupted, otherwise it will have to start again.
Natural remedy based on pine essential oil and 9 herbs extract. It is shown as an auxiliary medication — it facilitates the cleansing of the ears, the exit of crusts and black plaque from the depth of the aisle.
Preliminarily heated in a water bath to 20-25 ° C. Instill 3-5 drops. The course is not limited — apply until the symptoms of otodectosis disappear.
The drug is based on 2 powerful insectoacaricides — amitrase and pyrethroid cypermethrin. These substances penetrate the spiracles and chitinous shell of insects, causing paralysis and death. Tsipam is effective for multiple parasitic infections — it is harmful for:
- ticks — ixodic, sarcoptoid, demodectic,
- beetle eaters
First, a sponge is moistened in Zipama and the sink is wiped. After instill 3-6 drops., Repeat the manipulation after 3-5 days.
Chip is prohibited for pregnant, sick, malnourished dogs and puppies for up to 1.5 months.The animal is treated with gloves, if the solution gets on the skin or mucous membrane, it is washed off under running water.
Amit Forte is suitable for pets with allergies to tick saliva — thanks to diphenhydramine, the drug has an antihistamine effect. It also relieves inflammation, anesthetizes, and fipronil in the composition causes paralysis and death of parasites.
Amit Forte instill 3-4 drops. twice a day for 7-10 days. If necessary, repeat the course after a week.
Low toxicity. However, there are a number of tips:
- do not use for pregnant and lactating bitches,
- do not use for puppies up to 2 months,
- do not treat sick and malnourished pets,
- carry out the procedure with gloves, at the end — wash your hands with soap,
- Do not eat, drink or smoke during the manipulation,
- 20-25 minutes after treatment, make sure that the dog does not itch and does not lick the medicine.
Bio-Groom Ear Mite Treatment
Drops for ears contain a natural insecticide — pyrethrin and aloe vera extract. Bio-Groom Ear is a low-toxic agent suitable for dogs allergic to acaricides. A herbal therapeutic squeeze relieves itching and flushing, stimulates repair.
From channels 3 to 10 drops are dripped into the channels. depending on the size of the pet. Massage the ears and let the pet shake his head. Repeat every other day until the passages are cleansed.
Sell at 450 p. per bottle of 30 ml.
|1. Ivermek||250 p.|
|2. Acaromectin||150 r|
|3. Anti-flea spray||—|
Convenience sprays are similar to drops. But they are used carefully — if the animal breaks out, the sprayed product will get into the eyes or mouth. Therefore, this dosage form is less popular.
A drug based on ivermectin — a substance effective against sarcoptoid ticks, lice, nematodes.
Ivermek spray the shell with 4-9 sprays, depending on the size of the animal. The procedure is repeated after 3-5 days. If otodectosis did not pass, the course is prolonged.
Ivermek is forbidden to pregnant and lactating bitches, puppies up to 1.5 months old, sick and weakened dogs.
After treatment, pets can not bathe for 2 days. During this period, contacts are limited, after stroking, wash their hands with soap.
Another spray based on ivermectin. Additionally contains alcohol for disinfection and mineral oil, which accelerates healing. Plus is cheaper — 150 p.
Acaromectin is sprayed inside the ears in a dosage of 1-2.5 ml. Do not exceed the dose — excessive salivation, muscle tremors, weakness are possible. Pre-clean the dirt, sulfur, exudate. The procedure is repeated after 8-10 days.
Acaromectin is forbidden to be used simultaneously with other drugs from parasites, kittens up to a month, pregnant and sick dogs.
Anti Flea Spray
Moderately toxic medication. It is preferred when the dog is affected by 2 or more types of parasites. Thanks to fenthion and permethrin, the product eliminates ticks, fleas, lice.
However, Anti-Flea Spray is used carefully:
- doggie is processed on the street, away from fish, bees, birds,
- manipulation is carried out with gloves and a respirator,
- to prevent licking, they put a muzzle on the pet and do not remove it before the spray dries,
- they don’t stroke the dog for 24 hours, they don’t bathe for another day and are forbidden to contact the children.
Anti-Flea Spray is prohibited for kittens up to 8 weeks old, pregnant, weakened animals.
Ointments and gels
|1. Aversectin ointment||60-70 p.|
|2. Amidel gel NEO||190 p.|
|3. ORIDERMIL||800 p.|
|4. Sulfur-decar ointment||50 p.|
Ointments and gels are the best option in the treatment of otodectosis. On a greasy surface, parasites cannot lay eggs. They are best used in combination with lotions, sprays or drops.
The most popular among ointments for ear scabies. It is effective, quickly eliminates the manifestations of otodectosis, does not irritate the skin. And it costs only 60-70 rubles.
Aversectin ointment lubricates the cleaned shells with an even layer. After folding the ears and massaging. Treatments are repeated every 5-7 days until recovery.
Ointment is prohibited for puppies up to 2 months old, sick, pregnant and lactating dogs. Toxic to fish and bees.
Amidel gel NEO
Low toxic and safe gel, available in a convenient syringe dispenser. Amidel-gel is a complex drug. He contains:
- amitraz acaricide — the main substance leading to the death of parasites,
- lidocaine — anesthetizes, eliminates itching and inflammation: as a result, the animal itches less, which contributes to healing,
- methyluracil — a reparative component, accelerates skin recovery.
In cleaned ears lay 0.5-2 ml of gel, depending on the weight of the pet. The treatment is repeated 1-2 times every 5-7 days.
Amidel-NEO is approved for pregnant and lactating dogs. It can not be used for sick, exhausted dogs and puppies up to 2 weeks.
Oridermil has the most extensive action among ointments. Is he:
- relieves pain and hyperemia,
- eliminates bacterial and fungal infections — indicated for otitis media,
- It kills otodectosis, sarcaptoid, demodectic and choriptic mites.
Apply twice a week. If necessary, repeat the course after 7-14 days. The drug is prohibited:
- puppies and decorative breeds weighing less than 1.5 kg,
- pregnant and lactating,
- allergy sufferers
- with perforation of the eardrum.
During treatment, the sick pet is isolated from other animals and children.
Time-tested tool. Sulfur-tar ointment disinfects, eliminates bacteria and microbes, leads to the death of parasites. And it costs a penny — 50 p. for a jar of 40 g.
Ointment lubricates the inner surface of the ears and the skin around the diameter of 2-4 cm. The procedures are carried out 1-2 times a day until the crusts are separated. It is not necessary to clean the sinks and cut the wool.
Sulfur tar ointment can be used in combination with other medicines. She is safe and suitable for everyone.
Drops at the withers
|1. Stronghold||250-450 p.|
|2. Front line||450-600 p.|
|3. Dana||100-150 p.|
|4. Finprist||240-360 p.|
Drops at the withers are a convenient option: their use will take about 10 seconds. But, although the drugs are indicated for parasitic infestations, they do not always help. These funds are good for prevention, and for treatment it is better to choose other options.
Plus drops at the withers — they are effective against ticks, fleas, and water-eaters. And some of them are against worms.
Effective and popular drops based on selamectin. Help against roundworms, ticks and insects. They cost 250-450 p. depending on the pipette volume by weight of the animal.
The agent is applied once pointwise between the shoulder blades or on the withers. You can repeat the manipulation after a month.
Stronghold is forbidden to use for puppies up to 1.5 months old, emaciated animals, injected into the ears. When processing, you can not drink, smoke, eat. Contact with a pet is limited for 2 hours.
Effective against fleas, lice, lice, ticks. Frontline Spot-On is produced in 4 forms for pets of different weights: 2-10 kg, 10-20 kg, 20-40 kg and 40-60 kg.
Frontline Spot-On is injected into the ears for 4-6 drops, the remaining liquid in the pipette is applied to the withers. Do not use puppies up to 2 months. Allowed for pregnant and lactating dogs. During processing adhere to standard precautions and hygiene.
Sell at 450-600 p. depending on the form of release.
Overview and instructions for the use of frontline for dogs.
The drug is similar to Frontail, only developed by a Moscow company, so it costs less — 100-150 rubles per pipette.
Bury 3-5 drops in the ears, fold the shells and massage at the base. The remaining liquid is spotted on the withers. Repeat the treatment 2-3 times every 5-7 days.
Dana Spot-It contains alcohol, so it irritates the olfactory receptors, and can cause hypersalivation.
Dana is forbidden to kittens up to 3 months old and animals weighing less than 2 kg.
Fiprist contains the substance fipronil. After application, it is evenly distributed throughout the body, accumulates in the sebaceous glands and is excreted along with their contents on the skin. As a result, the toxin penetrates the parasites during bites, leading to their death.
Fiprist drip 4-6 drops., The residues are applied between the shoulder blades. The medicine is valid for 1 month. It is forbidden to use:
- puppies up to 2 months old
- dogs weighing less than 2 kg,
- weakened pets
- close to fish and rabbits.
Cost — 240-360 p. depending on the form of release according to the size of the animal.
Injection and emulsion solutions
|1. Neostomazann||10-20 p.|
|2. Averse||70 p.|
|3. Otodectin||65 p.|
|4. Epacid-Alpha||60 p.|
Injection solutions are the cheapest parasite remedies. But they have other advantages: the drugs work against all ectoparasites, and some of them are used both for treating pets and for treating rooms.
Not all pet owners know about injection solutions. But this is a great way out — with one remedy you treat a pet and get rid of parasites in the house.
The cheapest ear tick remedy for dogs is Neostomazan. It is sold at 10-20 p. per ampoule per 1 ml. Take 2 cones of 1 ml for treating the animal, and 2 for 5-10 ml for treating the apartment / house.
The dosage for the treatment of animals is 1 ml of the drug per 200 ml of water. Neostomazan is used in 2 ways:
- wipe the ears with swabs dipped in a solution,
- bathe the dog — the sponge is moistened in solution, applied throughout the body except the muzzle, wrap the doggie in 2-3 towels and hold for 20-30 minutes.
A solution for processing is also prepared — 1 ml per 200 ml of water. Pour the product into a spray bottle and spray thresholds, baseboards, carpets, upholstered furniture, stove benches.
Neostomazan has a pungent smell like gasoline or kerosene. But it disappears in 10-15 minutes.
Averse K & C 0.2%
Aversect is intended for intramuscular or subcutaneous injection. After administration, the drug spreads to the tissues and organs of the dog, has a detrimental effect on ticks, insects, and worms.
Enter Aversect at the rate of 0.2 mg of the active substance aversectin C1 per 1 kg. After 7-10 days, a second injection is given. Medication is prohibited:
- up to 7 weeks
- whelping bitches
- old dogs
- sick pets.
Price — 70 p. per ampoule.
Another solution for subcutaneous injection. Otodectin is administered to puppies from 2 months old and adult healthy dogs. Caution is used in pets with liver and kidney pathologies, collie breeds, boxer, sheltie, bobtail and related ones. Dose — 0.2 ml of the active substance ivermectin per 1 kg.
There is a bottle of 5 ml of 65 r.
Epacid-Alpha is an emulsion based on alphacipermetrin that acts against insects and ticks. Designed for outdoor processing. It costs 60 rubles per bottle for 10 ml.
Epacid-Alpha is applied to clean skin. The vial is shaken off, the contents are collected into a syringe without a needle and 1-1.5 ml is injected into each ear. After 3-5 days, the manipulation is repeated.
It is forbidden to pregnant, lactating dogs, puppies up to 2 months, exhausted pets.
Conclusion and Choice
There are a lot of preparations for ear scabies. But you should not use it thoughtlessly one after another. There is a treatment scheme that has been tested for decades:
- The ears are cleaned with chlorhexidine — that’s enough. If you want, buy a lotion — it is better to take Epi-Otik.
- Then apply an aversectin ointment. If the wounds are large, itch severely — apply Amidel-NEO gel.
- In between treatments (for 5-7 days), the ears are wiped with Neostomazan.
- At the same time, they treat an apartment / house with Neostomazan or a similar drug — Stomazan, Butoks. After 10-14 days, repeat. If the parasites remain indoors, the pet will again become infected with them in a couple of days.
- In parallel, they give drugs for worms and fleas, because they carry tick eggs. Use separate funds or complex medicines: Stronghold, Aversect K & C.
The principle is used for healthy adult animals. Individual cases:
- pregnant — Surolan, Amidel-NEO, Front Line Spot He, sulfur-tar ointment will suit them,
- puppies: most medicines can not be applied up to 1.5-2 months, with the exception of Amidel-NEO and sulfur-tar ointment, they are used from 2 weeks.
Treatment of otodectosis is carried out under the supervision of a doctor. The disease is often complicated by bacterial or fungal otitis media. In these cases, some medications for ear scabies will not help. We need antibacterial and antimycotic drugs.