How to Get Rid of Psyllids, Planet Natural
- 1 Psyllid
- 2 10 Natural Tricks to Remove Dark Knees and Elbows
There are over 100 species of psyllids found throughout North America. Here’s how to identify and get rid of them using proven, natural and organic treatments.
The original insecticidal soap! Concentrated formula makes 6 gallons of spray.
Sometimes called jumping plant lice, psyllids feed on a variety of plants including most fruit trees and small fruits as well as tomato and potato. Both adults and nymphs feed by piercing the leaf surface and extracting cell sap. This causes foliage (especially the upper leaves) to turn yellow, curl and eventually die. Honeydew secreted by the psyllids encourages the growth of dark sooty molds. Many species transmit disease-carrying viruses.
Adults (1/10 inch long) are reddish brown in color with transparent wings and strong jumping legs. They are very active and will hop or fly away when disturbed. Nymphs are flat and elliptical in shape, almost scale-like. They are less active than adults and are most numerous on the undersides of leaves. Newly hatched nymphs are yellowish in color but turn green as they mature.
Note: Psyllids are monophagous which means that they are host specific (each species feeds on only one plant type).
Adults overwinter in crevices on tree trunks. In early spring they mate and females begin depositing orange-yellow eggs in the crevices about the buds, and after the foliage is out, on the leaves. Hatching occurs in 4-15 days. Yellow to green nymphs pass through five in instars in 2-3 weeks before reaching the adult stage. There are one to five generations per year depending on species.
How to Control
- Spray horticultural oil in early spring to destroy overwintering adults and eggs.
- Beneficial insects, such as ladybugs and lacewing, are important natural predators of this pest. For best results, make releases when pest levels are low to medium.
- If populations are high, use a least-toxic, short-lived natural pesticide to establish control, then release predatory insects to maintain control.
- Diatomaceous earth contains no toxic poisons and works quickly on contact. Dust lightly and evenly over vegetable crops wherever adults are found.
- Safer® Insecticidal Soap will work fast on heavy infestations. A short-lived natural pesticide, it works by damaging the outer layer of soft-bodied insect pests, causing dehydration and death within hours. Apply 2.5 oz/ gallon of water when insects are present, repeat every 7-10 day as needed.
- Surround WP (kaolin clay) forms a protective barrier film, which acts as a broad spectrum crop protectant for preventing damage from insect pests.
- BotaniGard ES is a highly effective biological insecticide containing Beauveria bassiana, an entomopathogenic fungus that attacks a long-list of troublesome crop pests – even resistant strains! Weekly applications can prevent insect population explosions and provide protection equal to or better than conventional chemical pesticides.
- 70% Neem Oil is approved for organic use and can be sprayed on vegetables, fruit trees and flowers to kill eggs, larvae and adult insects. Mix 1 oz/ gallon of water and spray all leaf surfaces (including the undersides of leaves) until completely wet.
- If pest levels become intolerable, spot treat with insecticides approved for organic use every 5-7 days. Thorough coverage of both upper and lower infested leaves is necessary for effective control.
Tip: Do not overwater or over fertilize – sucking insects like plants with high nitrogen levels and soft new growth.
This native ladybug species is the best known garden predator available.
Contains active Beauveria bassiana spores that attack a long-list of troublesome pests.
Contains diatomaceous earth, a fine powder made from tiny fossilized algae-like plants.
Applied as a liquid, Surround WP — kaolin clay — evaporates leaving a protective film.
For broad spectrum use on vegetables, flowers, trees and more — indoors or out!
A superior type parafinic oil that degrades rapidly and has almost no toxicity.
Tomato & Vegetable
Effective against aphids, caterpillars, potato beetles, flea beetles and more!
A powerful, fast-acting formula made to provide broad spectrum relief.
10 Natural Tricks to Remove Dark Knees and Elbows
Accumulation of dead skin cells, friction, extensive exposure to sun, or a hormonal imbalance can become the cause of dark knees and elbows. These parts of our body don’t contain any oil glands and it’s important to protect them from dryness through proper care and hygiene.
We at Bright Side present 10 easy yet super effective techniques to help you nourish your skin and remove dark patches.
Due to its bleaching properties, cucumber is among the most effective ways to get rid of dark knees and elbows. It removes dead skin cells and keeps your skin moisturized. Vitamins A and C that are present in cucumbers keep the skin beautiful and fresh.
- Gently rub thick slices of cucumber over your elbows and knees for 15 minutes.
- Leave it on for another 5 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
You can also mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your knees, elbows, and also underarms. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse it off. Do this on a daily basis.
9. Lemon and baking soda
Lemon is an excellent skin lightening ingredient. It’s packed with antioxidants and vitamin C which promote skin regeneration and improve skin complexion. Baking soda acts as a gentle and effective cleanser for whitening dark areas of skin.
- Take a lemon and cut it into 2 halves.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of baking soda on top of the lemon.
- Rub your elbows and knees for 1 minute.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
Repeat once every 2 days for a desired effect.
8. Aloe Vera and milk
Aloe Vera contains substances that help to moisturize your skin and improve uneven skin tone. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The combination of Aloe Vera and milk is a simple and useful way to lighten your skin naturally.
- Mix equal amounts of milk and Aloe Vera gel and apply the mixture to your skin.
- Leave it on overnight and then wash it off the next morning.
Alternatively, you can extract the gel from the Aloe Vera leaf and apply it to your knees and elbows. Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
Potato is rich in catecholase enzymes that can naturally lighten your skin tone. Daily usage of potato will soften your skin and help you get rid of dark areas.
- Grate the potato, squeeze out the juice, and apply it to your skin.
- Leave it on your skin for 15 minutes, then rinse it with water.
- Apply a moisturizer.
You can also rub your elbows and knees with a potato cut into slices for about 10-15 minutes and then wash off.
Turmeric is the most natural remedy remove impurities and dead skin cells from your knees and elbows without any side effects. It contains a compound called curcumin which reduces and regulates the excess production of melanin responsible for dark complexions.
- Mix some turmeric powder with 1 tsp of milk.
- Apply it to the knees and elbows.
- Massage for a few minutes and leave it to dry naturally.
- Rinse it with warm water.
You can add a bit of honey to the mixture for a better effect.
5. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is packed with essential fatty acids and vitamin E that help to repair dark and damaged skin.
- After each shower or bath apply coconut oil to the affected areas.
- Massage gently for 2-3 minutes until the oil is absorbed into the skin.
You can also add 1/2 tsp of fresh lemon juice to 1 tsp of coconut oil and gently massage your knees and elbows for a few minutes.
Honey acts as a natural moisturizer. In combination with lemon it can work wonders on your skin.
- Mix 2 tbsp honey, the juice of half a lemon, and 1 tsp baking soda.
- Apply the mixture over the darkened areas.
- Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes and wash off.
Honey also works well with milk and Aloe Vera. You can combine 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tsp of milk and 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera gel. Apply the paste to your skin, leave it for 15 minutes, and rinse it off with warm water.
3. Sugar and olive oil
A homemade scrub made from sugar and olive oil will nourish, hydrate, and remove dead cells from your skin.
- Combine equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to make a fine mixture.
- Apply it to knees and elbows and massage in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat this on a weekly basis.
This scrub can also be used to cleanse your face. Just make sure to not rub too hard, as it may hurt your skin.
2. Oatmeal scrub
Along with having a lot of benefits for health, oatmeal is another effective way to have a flawless skin tone. You will need lemon juice, oatmeal, and salt.
- Mix the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tbsp oatmeal, and a pinch of salt.
- Apply the scrub in circular motions to your knees and elbows for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a week to achieve the best results.
You can also combine 2 tbsp oatmeal with 2 tsp of milk and message the dark areas for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with water. It will make your skin feel soft, smooth, healthy, and radiant.
1. Vinegar and yogurt
The rich content of acetic acid in vinegar and lactic acid in yogurt will help to cleanse your knees and elbows and reveal glowing skin.
- Mix 1 tbsp of yogurt and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this mixture on your skin.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a week.
Another easy way to lighten your skin is to mix apple cider vinegar with some water and apply it to your elbows and knees with cotton balls. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off.
Do you know any other effective skin lightening tips? Feel free to share them with us in the comments!