How to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally Fast with 11 Home Remedies
How to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally Fast with 11 Home Remedies
- 1 How to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally Fast with 11 Home Remedies
- 2 CAUSES OF FLEAS
- 3 FLEA PREVENTION
- 4 BEST 11 HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY AT HOME
- 4.1 1. Get Rid of Fleas with Baking Soda
- 4.2 2. Salt for Fleas Remedy
- 4.3 3. Dish Soap
- 4.4 4. Lemon Spray to Get Rid of Fleas
- 4.5 5. Fleas Repelling Plants
- 4.6 6. Herbal Fleas Spray
- 4.7 7. Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas
- 4.8 8. Kill Fleas with Comb
- 4.9 9. Try Cedar Chips
- 4.10 10. Flea Power
- 4.11 11. Get a Vaccum
- 4.12 11. Rosemary to Kill Fleas
- 5 How to Get Rid of Fleas on Pets
- 6 17 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas In the Yard | Q&A
- 7 Child Safe Remedies for Fleas
- 8 Answers:
- 9 Great Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Fleas
- 10 Getting Rid of Fleas on Your Pets
- 11 Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Home
Fleas are those blood-sucking parasites that are not only harmful to pets but also to humans. This is reason enough to want to get rid of fleas
They are also wingless and their color ranges from reddish to dark brown. They can move easily through animals because of their flat bodies.
Also, their back legs are stronger and longer. This feature makes it easy for them to cover a long distance while in search of which animal’s body to perch on.
Fleas are tiny and their eggs are even thinner.
These eggs are laid by the adult females after eating and they can take 2 days to 2 weeks to hatch.
This explains why it is imperative one look for ways to get rid of fleas.
Before going further to list and also explain how to get rid of fleas naturally, we love to look at the causes of fleas.
HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES
» data-medium-file=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HOW-TO-GET-RID-OF-FLEAS-NATURALLY-FAST.jpg?fit=129%2C300&ssl=1″ data-large-file=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HOW-TO-GET-RID-OF-FLEAS-NATURALLY-FAST.jpg?fit=439%2C1024&ssl=1″ title=»HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES» src=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HOW-TO-GET-RID-OF-FLEAS-NATURALLY-FAST.jpg?resize=600%2C1400″ alt=»HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES» width=600 height=1400 srcset=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HOW-TO-GET-RID-OF-FLEAS-NATURALLY-FAST.jpg?w=600&ssl=1 600w, https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HOW-TO-GET-RID-OF-FLEAS-NATURALLY-FAST.jpg?resize=129%2C300&ssl=1 129w, https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/HOW-TO-GET-RID-OF-FLEAS-NATURALLY-FAST.jpg?resize=439%2C1024&ssl=1 439w» sizes=»(max-width: 600px) 100vw, 600px» data-recalc-dims=1>
CAUSES OF FLEAS
Warm, Moist Places
Fleas are usually attracted to a warm and moist environment.
Therefore, you must take extra care of your environment during the warm season.
Fleas survive in infested or dirty areas.
They can reproduce and spread rapidly in such environments.
Hence, take out time to clean your environment regularly.
Carried by the Host Animal
When an animal is infected, it can easily spread the infection to other animals around.
Therefore, take out time to care for your animals.
Abandoned or Used Furniture
Another cause of flea is due to used furniture because fleas will easily see it as a place to reproduce.
Here are ways to prevent fleas:
- Always ensure your grasses are not overgrown and keep your shrubs trimmed.
If you live in a home with a yard, ensure you keep your grasses under control.
This will prevent them from hiding in hidden places in your home.
Make sure you keep shrubs far away from your house and far away from each other.
- Block wildlife animals from coming into your yard. Take out time to look for loopholes and block them to prevent wild animals.
This is because those loopholes can be used as access to your home.
- Don’t attract them in. Avoid any form of food item that can attract them into your yard.
- Use flea spray more often.
Run a flea comb or brush through your pet’s coat before giving your pet access to come in.
- Consider having your pet hair shaved during summer to easily spot any flea infection.
- Keep your home clean all the time. Thoroughly clean every corner in your house.
Clean the baseboards, furniture area, underneath it, everywhere the pet lays and spend time.
- Change the vacuum bags often or place a flea collar in the bag to kill the fleas.
- Clean your car, if you always have your pet in your car.
- Wash your pet’s bedding, toys in warm water weekly to get rid of fleas and larvae.
BEST 11 HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY AT HOME
1. Get Rid of Fleas with Baking Soda
This is one of the effective ways to use as a flea treatment.
It works by getting rid of fleas by removing fleas from the fibers of your carpets and furniture.
Here is how to make use of baking soda to get rid of fleas in carpet
- Lay down baking soda on your carpet and furniture.
- Take a firm brush and rub it into the fabric.
- Vacuum your home thoroughly and remove the contents of the vacuum into a bag and place it outside the trash can.
Also, apart from getting rid of flea, baking soda provides the following benefits
- It alleviates Urinary tract infection by reducing the acid level in urine.
- Boosts the kidney function in your body. It reduces the acid level in the body by keeping the PH level in check.
- It treats gout and other joint problems. The high level of uric acid in the urine and blood tissue can lead to pain and chronic diseases such as gout and arthritis.
- Baking soda can help to neutralize it.
- Prevents acne and pimples due to the anti-bacterial properties in the body.
- Helps in teeth whitening.
- It is also an exercise enhancer by preventing stiffness and muscular stiffness.
2. Salt for Fleas Remedy
This is a flea killer method and you can as well add this method on your lists of how to get rid of fleas naturally.
Salt is a good remedy because it is a natural way to kill flea eggs.
This is because salt performs the role of a dehydration agent.
Follow these steps below to get rid of Flea Busters
- Take some finely ground salt
- Sprinkle it all over the carpets in your rooms.
- Leave it on for 1-2 days
- Then vacuum thoroughly.
- Empty the content in a trash can outside
Here are other Benefits of Salt
- It facilitates proper sleep and cures depression. This is because salt produces serotonin which reduces stress and helps you to sleep better.
- Increase your body immunity level which helps to reduce the chances you falling sick.
- Serves as an antibiotic
- Prevents osteoporosis because it keeps the bones healthy.
- Good for dental care
- It prevents muscle spasms
However, you must take it in moderation.
3. Dish Soap
One of the ways on how to get rid of fleas naturally is by using dish soap.
It is one of the best pest control methods.
All you need to do is to create a flea trap using dish soap and add water to it.
Follow these steps below on how to get rid of bed bugs, sand fleas, and rat flea.
- Fill a plate or a bowl with a mixture of warm water and dish soap.
- Place it in the rooms or where the fleas are mostly seen.
- This will serve as a glue which will trap the fleas. This is due to the high viscosity of the soap solution.
Remember to repeat this method with a fresh batch of water each day.
Make sure you do this at night for an effective result and this is because fleas are nocturnal creatures.
4. Lemon Spray to Get Rid of Fleas
A lemon spray can be used to get rid of fleas.
If your house is infested by flea you can use the flea killer method.
Follow these steps below on how to get rid of fleas naturally
- Make a citrus spray to use in an infested area.
- Slice lemon thinly.
- Add a small amount of water to it and boil it.
- Leave it overnight.
- Pour it inside a spray bottle.
- Spray the content on the infested area.
5. Fleas Repelling Plants
There are some types of plant that contains specific or certain oils, chemical or compound which repels fleas.
These types of plants can be utilized to get rid of fleas.
These plants are:
- Penny Royals.
All you need to do is to plant one of these plants in your compound to prevent fleas or get rid of them.
HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES
» data-medium-file=»https://i2.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Fleas-in-the-House-Forever.jpg?fit=180%2C300&ssl=1″ data-large-file=»https://i2.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Fleas-in-the-House-Forever.jpg?fit=600%2C1000&ssl=1″ title=»HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES» src=»https://i2.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Fleas-in-the-House-Forever.jpg?resize=600%2C1000″ alt=»HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES» width=600 height=1000 srcset=»https://i2.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Fleas-in-the-House-Forever.jpg?w=600&ssl=1 600w, https://i2.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Fleas-in-the-House-Forever.jpg?resize=180%2C300&ssl=1 180w» sizes=»(max-width: 600px) 100vw, 600px» data-recalc-dims=1>
6. Herbal Fleas Spray
This is one of the trusted and tested ways on how to get rid of fleas.
It can be utilized to get rid of fleas in carpet, kill flea eggs, flea busters, fleas on humans and fleas in human hair.
Herbal flea spray is a natural home remedy and the best side of using this home remedy is that it is non-toxic which makes it not harmful for your kids and pets.
How to make use of herbal flea spray for pest control
- Get 4 liters of vinegar
- Lemon juice (500ml)
- 250ml of witch hazel
- Big spray bottle
- Make sure you vacuum your home properly before using this product in your home.
- Empty the content in an empty can outside.
- Wash any beddings or cushions that could be infested.
- After doing that, apply the natural remedy inside your home using a heavy spray, spraying carpets, pet beddings, window blinds, furniture, and floors.
7. Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas
This is a flea treatment to get rid of fleas. It can be used in your flea infestation house.
Diatomaceous earth is the microscopic remains of fossilized algae, diatoms.
It is a smooth fine powder which is not harmful or toxic to human.
It is the best way to get rid of fleas because of the dehydration effect it provides.
You can get rid of fleas using diatomaceous earth by following these steps below:
- Sprinkle the powder over areas you suspect where there is high flea activity
- Apply it in thin layers.
- Leave it on for 2 days and vacuum thoroughly.
- Ensure you use a face mask to prevent eye irritation and throat irritation.
8. Kill Fleas with Comb
Making use of a flea comb can help to get rid of the flea.
All you need to get is a bowl of soapy water which is handy enough to soak in the remains once you comb the hair of your pet out.
Ensure you comb the neck and tail area thoroughly because fleas reside mostly in these areas.
9. Try Cedar Chips
Cedar chips can be used to get rid of cedar.
It is a natural remedy for pest control.
It can be used as essential for suppressing weeds and retains moisture in the soil.
Follow these steps to use cedar chips
- Get cedar chips
- Sprinkle it into your garbage cans to act as a natural remedy for getting rid of fleas.
10. Flea Power
This is one of the safest methods to get rid of fleas. It is an environmentally friendly product.
Before using this product, remove the beds in your home and have them cleared thoroughly.
Here is how to use a flea powder
- Sprinkle the flea powder along the perimeter of all the walls in your home.
- Remove the cushion from your furniture.
- Sprinkle the powder in the flea areas.
- Cover your floor area with it.
- Scratch or brush the powder inside the carpet until the powder is no longer visible.
11. Get a Vaccum
Another way on how to get rid of fleas is by getting a vacuum to adequately vacuum the carpet.
Then sprinkle the powder on your furniture, carpets, pet bedding, and window sills.
You should also sprinkle it on any other place you suspect flea activity in your home.
Shampoo or steam the carpet to remove any flea.
Dispose of the bag to prevent the eggs from developing in the bag.
In conclusion, there are also some other natural methods you can utilize to get rid of fleas naturally apart from the ones listed. They are:
11. Rosemary to Kill Fleas
Rosemary. It is a great home remedy for organic flea control products.
However, it is good to note that it can be used to treat light infestations as well as on pets and this largely depends on how to use it.
Here is how to make rosemary flea powder to get rid of flea
To make an herbal flea powder using rosemary, you will need to place this herb with some other natural products like wormwood, fennel, and peppermint into a pestle and mortar and grind them into powder form.
You should also note that rosemary is not as powerful as other natural remedies.
But it can help prevent the spread of flea in your home.
HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES
» data-medium-file=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-dogs-at-home.jpg?fit=133%2C300&ssl=1″ data-large-file=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-dogs-at-home.jpg?fit=455%2C1024&ssl=1″ title=»HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES» src=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-dogs-at-home.jpg?resize=600%2C1350″ alt=»HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS NATURALLY FAST WITH 11 HOME REMEDIES» width=600 height=1350 srcset=»https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-dogs-at-home.jpg?w=600&ssl=1 600w, https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-dogs-at-home.jpg?resize=133%2C300&ssl=1 133w, https://i0.wp.com/remediesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/How-to-get-rid-of-fleas-on-dogs-at-home.jpg?resize=455%2C1024&ssl=1 455w» sizes=»(max-width: 600px) 100vw, 600px» data-recalc-dims=1>
How to Get Rid of Fleas on Pets
You can also bath your pet. Bathing your pet often will also help rid your home of fleas.
Ensure you use a good antiseptic soap to get rid of the flea.
You can also use essential oil after bathing your oil.
Before you do, know that some dogs and cats may have problems with oils with Citrus, Cinnamon, Clove, D-limonene, Geranium, Tea tree, Lavender, Linalool, Bay, Eucalyptus, Pennyroyal, Rue.
You can call a Veterinary to get rid of fleas.
This is if after all other natural methods have not yielded any good result. Then you can consult a Veterinary Doctor.
17 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fleas In the Yard | Q&A
Q: Grandma, I’m looking for a remedy for getting rid of fleas in the yard since they cause skin problems for my family.
A: Dear O, You can find ways to treat them with the help of shampoos or a special collar; however, this may only provide temporary remedy. It is important to treat the problem at its very main cause. It can be possible that your pets come in contact with fleas when they are let out in the yard. There are a lot of inexpensive ways to keep your yard free from fleas.
HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF FLEAS IN THE YARD
1. Vinegar – Use a water bottle and spray vinegar in your yard. This will help keep the fleas away from your yard.
2. Apple Cider – This will have the same effect of vinegar. Add lemon to double the effect and give you a better scent.
3. Garlic – According to legends, garlic can help keep the vampire away, and it also has the same effect in fleas. The smell and the taste of garlic will keep the fleas away.
4. Lime – The acid properties of lime will help deter fleas from coming into your yard. Put lime juice in a water bottle and start spraying.
5. Citrus Rinds – Rinds of oranges, grapefruit, lemon or lime are normally thrown away. Take a grater and shred as much as you can from the rinds and sprinkle this on your yard.
6. Borax – Sprinkle borax on the whole area of your yard. This is guaranteed to kill the fleas that are living in your yard.
7. Pyrethrum – If you want something organic if you keep a vegetable garden or to protect your pets, choose pyrethrum. This will be not toxic to crops or animals but will surely keeps fleas and other pets away.
8. Fennel – Fennel is a very effective flea repellant. Sprinkle this around the yard in order to keep the fleas away.
9. Cayenne Pepper – Sprinkle cayenne pepper around the yard and your house in order to help keep fleas away. Fleas cannot take how spicy cayenne pepper is.
10. Eucalyptus – A lot of insects hate the taste and odor of eucalyptus; this includes fleas. Make sure to plant eucalyptus trees around the yard.
11. Rosemary – Keep potted rosemary around the yard and around your home. This releases an aroma that acts as a deterrent to fleas.
12. Chrysanthemum – Chrysanthemum will not only provide you with beautiful flower for your garden, this will also protect this from pests and that includes fleas.
13. Lavender – This is another flowering plant that you can plant on your garden to get rid of fleas. You would love the wonderful aroma of flowers.
14. Citronella – Planting this around the house will make sure your yard is free of fleas. This Is also great in keeping mosquitoes away.
15. Catnip – Your cats will love this, but the fleas won’t. Have a few of this plant scattered around the yard.
16. Cedar Shreds – Line the yard with cedar shredding and sprinkle the rest around the lawn. Fleas hate the aroma. You may also use this as pet bedding.
17. Clean – You prevent fleas from breeding by making sure your garden is kept clean. This will also provide you with good exercise.
Child Safe Remedies for Fleas
Ask a Question Here are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Question: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
What can I use to get rid of fleas with home remedies? I need something that will not harm my children. I have a 6 month old and a 1 1/2 year old. What should I use?
By heather amon from Owosso, MI
About 2 cups dry borax for each carpeted room. Spread, leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum. Carpet is the best breeding grounds for fleas. This is safe for children in the house. Crawling babies even. Use whatever safe method of killing the fleas on your pets. Residual borax will continue to kill the fleas for a year and a half. It will not harm carpet.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
Archive: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
By jennifer from Baltimore, MD
Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
Cut up a few lemons and place in 4 cups boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to boil then cover and turn off the heat and leave to steep overnight. Strain (keeping the liquid) and put into a spray bottle, to spray on pets, especially behind ears.
Sprinkle salt and bicarb soda (baking soda) on all floors (especially carpet), bare mattresses, and fabric sofas and seats, then vacuum.
If it’s really bad, bathe your cats in oil. This smothers all the fleas. The wash in a gentle dishwashing liquid to degrease.
Check your supermarket for flea treatments. Many of them last a month to a few months and protect your pets (and you) from pretty much every nasty they can get.
Hope I helped!
Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
Vacuum daily because fleas breed every two weeks. Get rid of carpet and rugs if possible or put outside until fleas are under control. Vacuum furniture and bedding and dispose of bag after use or they will breed inside the bag. Do not allow cat on bed. Shake borax in crevices of rooms, floor, cat bed, wherever fleas are seen, it will desiccate them. You can also use salt, the coarse kind is best.
Wash the cat in lemon scented dish detergent and all his bedding and toys. You will have to do this weekly due to the life cycle of the flea. Begin washing the cat at the neck to keep fleas from running to the face. Wet wash his face and physically remove fleas. Then wash the rest of him or her. Try to let soap sit on cat for 5 minutes or more to give it time to work.
If washing is a problem, use a soap-soaked microfiber cloth especially under the belly, behind the ears around the neck, base of the tail, and genitals. Put kitty in tub to minimize the mess. Use a second one to rinse. Use a big heavy towel to dry. A sham, is good for drying. Give kitty a nice treat after bath so he/she will look forward to the intrusion.
Wash floors on a regular basis and sprinkle your borax. Keep cat inside to cut down on exposure. You can put a dish of lemon soap water under a night light and fleas will be drawn to the dish and the light. Do this in several places at night.
Try to locate the source of the fleas, the nest. It is usually in the basement, or some warm undisturbed place, such as a clothes box, or storage container.
The best way is to use Frontline which is placed at the nape of the neck every 6 weeks. You use a single vial that is absorbed and then leaves no traces behind. But if you object to all chemical control you will have to fight fleas vigorously and constantly and be satisfied with less than perfect control.
In the summer keep house cool, and in winter it helps to air out so it gets really cold while you go away for a day or two as often as you can. Let me know how this worked for you and if you have any questions. (07/12/2010)
Archive: Child Safe Remedy for Fleas
I have a newborn and a 4 year old. I cat sat for a friend and my cats got fleas. I don’t want to use pesticides because of my kids. I just had surgery and can’t move things out of the house for the exterminator. What can I do to get rid of them? It’s getting bad.
Great Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Fleas
Fleas are not just an itchy annoyance. They can cause serious skin problems for pets and may also lead to intestinal tapeworms. In humans, flea bites usually cause itching, but it is also possible for fleas to transmit serious diseases. Fleas produce over 200 trillion eggs in only nine months, so if your pet has fleas or you have an infestation in your house, addressing the problem quickly is essential. Pesticides are effective for killing fleas, but some chemicals can be harmful to both you and your pet. Fortunately, there are many natural and affordable great home remedies to get rid of fleas.
Getting Rid of Fleas on Your Pets
Effective flea control starts with keeping your pet clean. Dogs should be bathed with a gentle shampoo and groomed regularly. Cats do not usually need repeated bathing, but if fleas are present, it may be necessary. Adding a few drops of a natural flea repellent such as lavender or tea tree essential oil to the bath water may be helpful.
There is a safe, effective spray you can make at home to repel fleas. Mix two drops of lavender oil with two drops of cedar wood oil and 12 ounces of water. This can be used to spray the pet three times per day. In about two weeks, the flea problem will be gone or markedly reduced.
Another powerful home remedy is brewerвЂ™s yeast. This can be given as an oral supplement. For cats and small dog breeds, feed 1 teaspoon per day. Medium to large dogs can have one tablespoon per day. It may take several weeks for this natural repellent to work.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Home
Getting rid of fleas in your home is essential to keeping fleas off of your pets permanently. This can be a little more challenging. First, wash everything in the home that is washable. This includes pillow covers, pet bedding and anything else your pet comes into contact with. Upholstery and carpets should be steam cleaned if possible. Use a high-powered vacuum to help remove flea eggs from carpets.
Some home remedies to get rid of fleas involve common grocery items. Sprinkling salt on carpets and under cushions both before and after vacuuming can help to kill fleas. Apple cider vinegar can be mixed with water and sprayed directly on your pet, or it can be used as a household cleaner and repellent. The acidic environment it creates drives fleas away.
Getting rid of fleas in your home doesn’t have to be a pungent chore. A more pleasant-smelling repellent can be made with essential oil of eucalyptus. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of the oil with 8 to 10 ounces of water and shake well. Spray this around the house and in places where fleas hide, but do not spray it directly on your pet. To control fleas outdoors, spread pine needles, cedar chips or diatomaceous earth in problem areas. Consistent use of these home remedies to get rid of fleas protects your petвЂ™s health and saves you money on vet bills.