3 Shampoos You Can Use to Prevent Head Lice, Head Lice Center
3 Shampoos You Can Use to Prevent Head Lice
- 1 3 Shampoos You Can Use to Prevent Head Lice
- 2 Coconut shampoo to prevent head lice
- 3 Tea tree oil shampoo to prevent head lice
- 4 Lavender oil shampoo to prevent head lice
- 5 Commercial lice killing shampoos
- 6 Does head & shoulders shampoo prevent you from getting lice?
- 7 14 Comments
- 8 Medications for Head Lice
- 9 Drugs Used to Treat Head Lice
- 10 Learn more about Head Lice
- 11 Further information
- 12 Coal Tar Shampoo
- 13 Uses of Coal Tar Shampoo:
- 14 What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Coal Tar Shampoo?
- 15 What are some things I need to know or do while I take Coal Tar Shampoo?
- 16 How is this medicine (Coal Tar Shampoo) best taken?
- 17 What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- 18 What are some other side effects of Coal Tar Shampoo?
- 19 If OVERDOSE is suspected:
- 20 How do I store and/or throw out Coal Tar Shampoo?
- 21 Consumer information use
- 22 Further information
- 23 Treatment for head lice effective with one dose and no combing
- 24 Review of 10 effective shampoos against lice and nits
- 25 General information
- 26 Instructions for use
- 27 Contraindications
- 28 Side effects
- 29 Precautionary measures
- 30 Form, package, price
- 31 Advantages and disadvantages
- 32 Chemical precautions
- 33 Review of shampoos against pediculosis
- 34 How can shampoo help fight head lice?
- 35 Remedies for lice and nits: forms of release and active ingredients
- 36 How to apply shampoo for lice
- 37 Shampoo against lice for children under 5 years
- 38 Advantages and disadvantages of shampoos
- 39 Popular pediculosis shampoos
- 40 How to choose shampoo
- 42 Can pediculosis be cured with shampoo?
- 43 How to choose the right tool?
- 44 The most effective shampoo for lice and nits
- 45 Regular shampoo
- 46 Step-by-step instruction
- 47 Preventive measures
- 48 What you need to know about pediculosis
- 49 Features of funds
- 50 General recommendations on how to get rid of lice
- 50.1 How to remove lice with shampoos?
- 50.2 Full Marks — liquid from lice and nits
- 50.3 Pedilin — shampoo for lice and nits
- 50.4 Pair plus — an aerosol on destruction of louses and nits
- 50.5 Paranit — shampoo
- 50.6 Chemerichnaya water
- 50.7 Pedikulen ultra
- 50.8 Nittifor — cream, lotion against pediculosis
- 50.9 Foxilon Lotion
- 50.10 Knicks — cream
- 50.11 Hygia Shampoo
- 51 Rules of application
- 52 Overview of popular brands
- 53 Alternative means
- 54 Adult Lice Shampoo
Many people are thinking of using shampoos for head lice prevention.
But there are some do’s and don’ts, and here are some shampoos to use to prevent head lice, as well as some shampoos that you should avoid when it comes to preventing head lice.
Head lice spread through direct head-to-head contact. The first head lice prevention measure is to avoid those contacts.
It is easy for adults but more difficult for children, who have games that involve head-to-head contacts quite often. In this case you can use some shampoos.
Head lice are attracted to us by our human smell. If this smell is masked by another that has a repelling effect on head lice, then it will keep them away.
This is exactly what essential oils based shampoos can do. You can use a tea tree oil shampoo, a lavender oil shampoo, or a coconut oil shampoo.
Coconut shampoo to prevent head lice
You can use a coconut-scented shampoo or conditioner or you can add a few drops of coconut oil to your regular soft shampoo.
Coconut oil is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. It has been used in many countries as a home remedy against head lice.
Pros: this is a good shampoo to prevent head lice.
Cons: no cons, as there are no side-effects and coconut appears to be safe to use.
Tea tree oil shampoo to prevent head lice
You can either buy one of these ready-made shampoos or you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular soft shampoo.
Tea tree oil contains terpenoids, which have antiseptic and antifungal properties, and have thus the property to kill adult head lice and nymphs.
Pros: it works at preventing head lice because even if you catch a louse it will be killed by the tea tree oil.
Cons: tea tree oil is better as a home remedy when you have an infestation already, than to prevent head lice, because it can have side-effects and be harmful to your health.
Sometimes people may have allergic reactions to tea tree oil, and pure tea tree oil applied to the skin may cause skin irritation, blistering, and itching.
Then, it is not a recommended substance for children and pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Lavender oil shampoo to prevent head lice
You can either buy a ready-made shampoo that contains lavender or you can add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your regular soft shampoo.
Just like tea tree oil, lavender oil contains terpenoids but much less than tea tree oil: the component terpinen-4-ol has a concentration of 30% to 50% in tea tree oil, but only 4% in lavender oil.
Pros: lavender can work well at preventing head lice and is safer as tea tree oil. It is not toxic and provokes very few skin irritations. It doesn’t have the side-effects of tea tree oil and is safer to use.
Cons: lavender oil shampoos should be used with care anyway, only to prevent head lice but not as an everyday remedy.
Commercial lice killing shampoos
These are shampoos which active ingredients are permethrin like in Nix, pyrethrum like in RID, or malathion.
They should NEVER be used to prevent head lice, as they have no prevention effect. Moreover, they can have side-effects that range from light to severe and should only be used to treat an existing head lice infestation.
Does head & shoulders shampoo prevent you from getting lice?
This is a common question, maybe because some people saw the movie Evolution (2001) where the shampoo was used as a weapon to destroy the alien menace…
Officially, Head & Shoulders shampoo cannot prevent anyone from getting head lice and has no repelling power. This is an anti-dandruff shampoo, nothing more.
However, it is true that many parents have reported some effectiveness of this shampoo to prevent head lice.
Head and Shoulders also contains dimethicone, which is the active ingredient in a lot of newer, one application, head lice treatments.
Dimethicone is a silicone product with a lower viscosity which the lice and eggs aspirate through their pores (which is how they breathe).
Although the dimethicone concentration is lower, repeated use of Head and Shoulders may provide continued head lice protection.
Just a little info I’m a hairdresser and Paul Mitchell has two great shampoos I swear by and also use on my children. There is your awpuai which is cocoanut and my fav the tea tree with lavander you can’t beat that and I use these on my children daily they are great and make there hair pretty and shiny too!
There are known scents that lice do not like. You mentioned coconut, lavender, tea tree; mint is also a scent that they do not like. It has been proven that they tend to walk in another direction when coming into contact with these scents. But, if its the only head available, they will go regardless of what scent you have on your hair. In my experience a lot of the repellant shampoos and sprays give people a false sense of security. I get a lot of customers who say “I don’t understand why my kid got lice, I use the repellant shampoo everyday”. The best thing to do is more of “early detection”. Use a good nit comb (a metal one with microgrooving is the best) once a week on your children. This way if they end up getting lice, you will catch it right away. You can still use the repellants everyday but incorporate combing into your schedule.
H&S works for removing dandruff that lice can hide under- I get outbreaks occasionally because I work with sm. children so I am constantly getting rid of lice. sometimes I wonder if its worth it they do no harm and nothing really is 100%. when it gets too much i do a treatment with evoo and comb with the nit comb and it lasts quite awhile…i just get tired of doing it..i am losing enough hair with out pulling out more with that comb..thanks for letting me vent because this is such a sensitive subject w/parents there really aren’t too many places to talk about it.
The nits are the biggest problem because they are so hard to comb out. I found that white vinegar in a spray bottle will help loosen the strong adhesive that these parasitic eggs are attached with, helping them be combed out easier. I did it yesterday, my girls have long hair, I had to section off each part of the hair with a clip to be thorough. I came here to read about tea tree oil as it was recommended by a friend. I will probably go with the coconut oil shampoo as a preventive measure because it seems safest.
I’ve started adding tea tree oil to our shampoo. My oldest daughter has really thick frizzy hair and even when you brush it it looks really messy. After I started using the tea tree oil her hair is really soft and smooth and not frizzy at all. I use a 100% natural oil, I don’t sea how it will hurt if it’s diluted to the proper concentration
Even though my grandchildren and I are nit and lice free. I still go over our hair with a fine tooth comb almost every night. After a 3 year battle and lots of school time lost we are finally winning.
I have been battling head lice with my youngest daughter for almost 4 months now. I have tried all the otc lice treatments and a prescription treatment. I’m washing the bedding and clothes, spraying the mattresses and vacuuming the carpets. She is 7 and this is my first experience with lice and I’m exhausted with all this! But I have found that the metal comb works better and I’m using that every other day since her last treatment 5 days ago and I think that could be the key to getting rid of them I hope.
Thanx for this site. My 8 year old granddaughter has suffered with lice for over a year now. It’s a constant thing and we’re so sick of it. Thick blond hair. We’ll try some Young Living essential oil in her shampoo if I can ever get all the nits out. It takes so long!
My son is in 3rd grade and my daughter started kindergarten this year. My daughter’s hair is down to her butt and i’m petrified of lice. Thankfully I’ve never dealt with it. During the summer before school started I began using tea tree oil on my daughter and myself because i heard it can help keep lice away. I am a single mother and my kids tend to sleep in my bed occasionally. That being said, my son caught lice at school and neither myself or my daughter caught it! I swear by tea tree oil shampoo/ conditioner. I buy it already made at the store and we use it daily. No bad reactions and the kids hair smell great.
I had head lice until I was in 2nd year of high school. Tried every wash and lotion there was. Combed hair and conditioner too. Nothing seemed to work. It was horrible especially as soon as you got treated because your hair would stink and be that horrible greasy texture. Seems like the stigma attached to head lice makes it a million times worse than to have it. I haven’t had them since though despite working with children. I read somewhere that as I have oily skin and hair that nits and lice aren’t attracted to it. Don’t know if thats true but seems to add up if other have used oil as a cleaner.
My daughter had lice a couple of times, the first time I took her to head lice troopers, it is a little pricey but they will work with you on the price if you ask, the second time I removed them at home myself with a ready mix formula with tea tree oil from cvs that works great. Since than I have put that on her hair every day and she hasn’t gotten them again.
Tea tree oil! I add a few drops once i have squeezed shampoo into my hand before washing my daughters hair..and for mine. It works! No irritations or rashes either!
Wow – Lice is really a problem everywhere! We moved to Mérida, México and are fortunate to have a nearby place that removes lice for $30 bucks ($600 pesos) with a free follow up after a week. That said – still, each year, almost like clockwork, we have to do the same steps again!
Hopefully, using the coconut shampoo will work to prevent! Thanks for the article & comments!
I’m a teacher and it’s a constant problem. I’m currently combing out my 3rd Infestation caught from the kids. I find a white plastic comb best. I comb every day and you have to scrape the scalp with every comb. Keep going. It’s not something you clear out overnight. I wet comb with every wash and dry comb daily too. Forget potions. Your best friend in this battle is a good nit comb.
Medications for Head Lice
Other names: Lice, head; Nits; Pediculosis capitis, head lice
About Head Lice: Head lice are small, parasitic insects that infest hair on the head of people, and feed on blood from the scalp. Their six legs allow them to grasp and wander between hairs.
Drugs Used to Treat Head Lice
The following list of medications are in some way related to, or used in the treatment of this condition.
|Drug name||Rx / OTC||Preg nancy||CSA||Alcohol||Reviews||Rating||Popularity|
|OTC||Over the Counter|
|Rx/OTC||Prescription or Over the Counter|
|Off Label||This medication may not be approved by the FDA for the treatment of this condition.|
|A||Adequate and well-controlled studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters).|
|B||Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.|
|C||Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use in pregnant women despite potential risks.|
|D||There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use in pregnant women despite potential risks.|
|X||Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.|
|N||FDA has not classified the drug.|
|Controlled Substances Act (CSA) Schedule|
|N||Is not subject to the Controlled Substances Act.|
|1||Has a high potential for abuse. Has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States. There is a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision.|
|2||Has a high potential for abuse. Has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions. Abuse may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.|
|3||Has a potential for abuse less than those in schedules 1 and 2. Has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States. Abuse may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.|
|4||Has a low potential for abuse relative to those in schedule 3. It has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States. Abuse may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to those in schedule 3.|
|5||Has a low potential for abuse relative to those in schedule 4. Has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States. Abuse may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to those in schedule 4.|
|X||Interacts with Alcohol.|
Browse Treatment Options
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Coal Tar Shampoo
Generic Name: Coal Tar Shampoo (kohl tar)
Brand Name: Doak Tar, Ionil T
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 11, 2020.
Uses of Coal Tar Shampoo:
- It is used to treat psoriasis.
- It is used to treat dandruff.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Coal Tar Shampoo?
- If you have an allergy to coal tar or any other part of coal tar shampoo.
- If you are allergic to coal tar shampoo; any part of coal tar shampoo; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have lupus.
- If your skin is sensitive to light.
- If a large area needs to be treated.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with coal tar shampoo.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take coal tar shampoo with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Coal Tar Shampoo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take coal tar shampoo. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may stain fingernails, hair, and skin.
- Protect clothing and fabrics from staining.
- You may get sunburned more easily. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Use of other skin products while using coal tar shampoo may cause more irritation.
- If you are getting any kind of light therapy, talk with your doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told by the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If coal tar shampoo is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using coal tar shampoo while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Coal Tar Shampoo) best taken?
Use coal tar shampoo as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take coal tar shampoo by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Put on enough shampoo to make a lather.
- Lather well and leave on as you have been told.
- Rinse and put on again.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Coal Tar Shampoo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where coal tar shampoo is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Coal Tar Shampoo?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about coal tar shampoo, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Treatment for head lice effective with one dose and no combing
As a parent who has dutifully combed nits from my children’s hair, the promise of a no-comb treatment for head lice sounds mighty appealing.
As a parent who dutifully combed nits from my children’s hair, an alternative to head lice treatment with no combing sounded mighty appealing.
The FDA approved ivermectin for head lice in February 2012. That decision was based on two trials that included a total of 765 adults and children older than six months. Both were randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. That means people with head lice, or their caregivers, were given a coded 4-ounce tube to use. Neither the doctor nor the recipient knew if the tube contained ivermectin or placebo.
CDC photo of the stages of the life of a head louse, with a penny for size comparison.
The contents of the tube were applied to dry hair and the scalp, left on for 10 minutes, then rinsed off with water. No one was supposed to use a comb to remove nits (juvenile lice) attached to hair strands. A clinician checked the person’s head two days later, then again one and two weeks later. (Two weeks post-treatment is a good benchmark, because it takes about that much time for a louse egg to hatch and the nymph to become an adult.)
On day two, 95% of those who used the ivermectin lotion were louse free, compared to 31% of those who used the placebo lotion. On day 15, the score was ivermectin 74%, placebo 18%.
Some people in the study experienced side effects, which include eye irritation, a burning sensation in the skin, and skin redness. These were slightly less common among those using ivermectin.
Good lice treatment back-up player
The trials compared ivermectin with a placebo, not another head lice treatment known to be an effective way of treating head lice and nits. It makes sense that any treatment with an active ingredient would do better than a lotion with no medication at all.
Treatment of head lice traditionally calls for the use of a lice shampoo containing permethrin or pyrethrins as a first salvo against head lice. Treatments made with these substances generally work well. Most lice treatments need to be used twice, seven to 10 days apart, along with combing wet hair with a fine-toothed comb to remove nits. Some lice are resistant to pyrethrins and permethrin. That’s when it makes sense to turn to stronger prescription drugs, such as ivermectin and spinosad (Natroba).
Don’t overlook the value of nit combing. “Combing works,” says Dr. Claire McCarthy, a pediatrician at Harvard-affiliated Boston Children’s Hospital. “It takes patience and perseverance, but not only does it get rid of both live lice and eggs, it’s completely nontoxic and without side effects. That can’t be said of any other treatment for head lice, ivermectin included.” She also recommends checking everyone’s head in the family, adults included, and laundering in hot water sheets, pillowcases, clothing, and anything else that may have come in contact.
Review of 10 effective shampoos against lice and nits
Head lice, the causative agent of which are lice, always begins suddenly. The disease is treated exclusively by chemical agents with varying degrees of toxicity, which can only be purchased at a pharmacy. One of the most effective drugs is the Knicks shampoo, which allows you to easily remove lice and nits from the hair of the head, to eliminate the recurrence of the disease.
Healing shampoo Knicks, helping to fight parasites, both adults and children, has a moderate level of toxicity, It does not pose a serious danger from short contact with the scalp and hair. The tool, paralyzing lice, nits, seals their airways, destroying parasites at different stages of their development by 100%. Survival rate is only 3.5%.
Due to its unique composition, Knicks shampoo-cream, convenient to use. After each procedure, it provides hair softness, enhances shine, reduces tangling. This makes combing and combing dead parasites easier. Forming a hydrophobic film, softens the scalp, reduces the unpleasant itching sensation after insect bites.
The tool allows you to get lice and nits for 1 session, once a week. The processing time is usually from 10 to 15 minutes. When running forms of pediculosis, the course of treatment is from 3 to 8 weeks. During the use of the drug should be consulted with a doctor.
Universal medicated shampoo, officially recommended by the Ministry of Health for the treatment of pediculosis, to treat chemicals. The composition of the shampoo contains 1% permethrin and a number of insecticidal auxiliary substances, enhancing its action, reducing side effects. The drug is one of the leading places in the treatment of the disease.
We recommend to read: properties and rules for the use of permethrin against lice and nits.
The cream, belonging to a safe external use group for the destruction of ectoparasites, in its consistency is a highly viscous liquid, without taste, color. The degree of density, provides ease and ease of applying shampoo on the hair.
Important! During the procedure, it is allowed to use no more than two bottles of shampoo.
Instructions for use
Before using the product, you should familiarize yourself with the treatment summary from the manufacturer, in the leaflet approved by the Ministry of Health. Rules for the use of shampoo «Knicks» are the same for patients of different weight categories, including children from 1.5 years. When processing is necessary:
- Wash hair thoroughly with regular shampoo and dry.
- After shaking the bottle, apply the cream evenly on dry hair, along the entire length.
- After 10 minutes, rinse off with warm water. Dry the hair with a towel, then comb it with a comb, which comes with medicine, to remove dead lice and nits.
- After 7 days, repeat the procedure.
We recommend to read: TOP 5 best crests from lice.
The amount of cream in the package is calculated for the treatment of one person, its consumption depends on the thickness and length of the hair. The main and constant rule during the course of treatment is the isolation of the patient at home. Living family members in the same area with the patient must comply with a set of sanitary and hygienic measures. Read more about the treatment of the patient and the house from lice and nits during pediculosis on our website.
Careful combing out dead lice and nits makes it possible to cope with lice after a single use of the product.
Despite the fact that the drug has an effective effect, has low toxicity, does not cause irritation, it is not recommended to use it in patients with increased hypersensitivity to permethrin and auxiliary components. Children under six months old, pregnant and lactating women are prohibited to use it. Not prescribed tool for skin diseases in the head. You can familiarize yourself with the treatment of pediculosis during pregnancy on our website.
Patients with impaired liver function and kidney do not need to adjust the dosage regimen. The drug that enters the body through the skin does not accumulate, is removed from the body during the day.
Attention! If in the first months of a child’s life, according to the pediatrician’s observation, there is a potential threat of pediculosis, the doctor has the right to prescribe a strong Niks shampoo in order to avoid serious consequences of the disease.
Shampoo to combat head lice when interacting with other drugs does not cause side effects. With improper aging and overdose of the cream may cause an allergic reaction, such as skin swelling, rash.
The local reaction to the drug is manifested in the form of redness, rash, itching, burning sensation, skin pain. Nausea may occur. In such cases, the use of the drug is terminated.
The undesirable effects of Knicks shampoo are extremely rare. With a sudden reaction to the drug, you must call an ambulance or go to the hospital.
Adhere to the following rules:
- hair treatment is carried out in a ventilated area
- use a gauze bandage, rubber gloves for both the patient and the person performing the treatment,
- try to ensure that the drug does not fall on the mucous membranes of the nose, eyes. With a lesion, the organs are washed with running warm water
- if swallowed, gastric lavage and symptomatic therapy are performed.
Form, package, price
Shampoo «Knicks» for external use is available in 59 ml in a plastic bottle, with an additional comb, placed in a cardboard box. The drug is released without a prescription. Store at t not higher than 25 ° C, protected from light and out of the reach of children.
The average price of the drug in legally operating licensed pharmacies in Russia ranges from 237 to 449 p. The expiration date set by the manufacturer and indicated by the date on the package is 2 years. After its expiration, use of the product is strictly prohibited.
Comb with metal teeth company Antiv and Liceguard completely eliminates the hair from parasites. The usual type of plastic comb is ineffective.
Advantages and disadvantages
«Knicks» successfully destroying lice, larvae, nits does not make the process routine and painful. Shampoo, keeping hair its color and structure, is quickly applied, it foams well. With the course of treatment does not affect the driving. Despite all the benefits of a louse shampoo, the chemical medicine has a slightly pungent odor and a small percentage of allergies.
The main disadvantages of the modern drug are, inconvenient bottle for use, high cost.
The medicine, by its effectiveness, takes the leading place among antipediculosis drugs. For medical laboratory research is considered a powerful drug. Therefore, when buying, you should pay attention to contraindications and get acquainted with consumer reviews.
What is important to know about pediculosis and head parasites:
- symptoms of the disease
- what are lice
- how fast the lice breed,
- incubation period of pediculosis in humans,
- the lice are dangerous
- where lice on eyelashes come from
- how to protect yourself from lice, prevention of head lice.
Shampoo as a remedy for lice and nits is a fairly safe remedy, but it also adheres to certain rules when using it to minimize the risk to health.
- All manipulations with shampoo against nits and lice are carried out strictly in accordance with the instructions.
- Most drugs are contraindicated for use in pregnant women who are in the process of breastfeeding. Also, children under 3 years old, and people with head skin problems, asthma, or susceptibility to the components of the drug.
- If the drug has not had an effective effect after 3 applications, the agent should be replaced.
- You can not use multiple drugs at the same time.
- Some products contain flammable substances in their composition, so after them you can not use hot hair drying hair dryer.
- If a person uses contact lenses, they should be removed before starting the procedure.
- Protect your hands with rubber gloves.
- When processing the head, make sure that the tool does not fall on the mucous membranes and eyes of a person.
- After completing the procedure, rinse your hands with detergent and ventilate the room.
If the pediculosis shampoo requires repeated use, then it should be kept out of the reach of children. If the product has got on mucous membranes, rinse thoroughly with water. When an allergic reaction occurs, wash off the product, take antihistamines and, if necessary, consult a doctor.
With the manifestation of side products from shampoo, the most correct decision is going to the doctor
Review of shampoos against pediculosis
Shampoo against nits and lice are used in the detection of parasites. You can not use these tools for prophylactic purposes: it is ineffective and can be dangerous. Before use, an allergic test is performed: apply shampoo on the skin behind the ear, wash it off after a set time, and observe the condition of the skin. If for at least three hours no allergic reaction followed, then the agent is applied to the entire head. Ideally, an allergic test is performed for 24 hours.
Shampoo against lice with the main active ingredient permethrin. Available in a bottle of 100 ml, the approximate price of 150 rubles. According to the instructions, the product is applied to the hair with cotton pads: it should be actively rubbed into the hair roots, where nits are usually attached. According to the instructions, the drug should be left for 10 minutes, but the reality shows that the agent begins to act when it is on the hair of 40 minutes. At the time of shampoo aging, the head is tied with a thick kerchief, then washed with warm water, and the hair is combed with a comb with frequent teeth to remove dead parasites and nits.
If live parasites are detected, treatment should be carried out in a week. In some cases, the drug can cause local allergic reactions such as burning and itching. Treatment is recommended to be carried out in a well-ventilated area or, if possible, on the street. During use, you can protect your eyes with a gauze bandage, tying it over your forehead.
In terms of its composition, the preparation “Knicks” refers to creams, but is used as a shampoo. Designed to eliminate nits and lice, the main active ingredient is permethrin. Before using the hair, wash it with the usual shampoo and dry it with a towel. Shake the bottle with the drug, applied to the skin and hair, actively rubbing it. Hold for 10 minutes, then washed with warm water, dried, and comb out with a comb with frequent teeth.
In a difficult situation with the spread of pediculosis, the Knicks can be applied weekly for 2 months.
If live parasites are detected within 10 days, the treatment must be repeated.Contraindications include sensitivity to the components of the drug, pregnancy and lactation, a small age of children. Allergic and skin reactions to the components of the drug.
The shampoo helps against lice, is based on clearol, which consists of natural oils: anise, coconut, and ylang-ylang. Its action is to block the respiratory system of parasites and their dehydration. The drug is not recommended for women in a pregnant position and during breastfeeding, children under 3 years. The approximate cost of funds from 500 to 1000 rubles, depending on the city.
Before use, all family members should be examined to treat the infected in one day. Shampoo is applied on dry hair and scalp. To enhance the result, you can wear a shower cap or plastic bag on your head. Leave on the head for 10 minutes, then wash the head with warm water. Dried and combed hair with a frequent comb. After treatment, disinfect all items that participated in the treatment. Clothes are also washed in hot water above 60 C, for complete destruction of nits. A week later, the procedure is repeated.
The shampoo has a double effect on the hair: it destroys adults with permethrin, and the acetic acid present in the composition helps to dissolve the sticky enzyme nits. Apply Hygia shampoo to dry hair with soapy movements. Wait 30 minutes, then rinse with warm water, and comb the dead insects with a comb.
Hygia actively fights with mature individuals and nits.
The tool is not used for women during breastfeeding and pregnancy, as well as for children under 3 years. The average cost of the drug from 170 rubles. With an overdose of the drug may be the occurrence of allergic reactions.
Malathion is the main active ingredient of the drug. It is released in the form of shampoo and emulsion. Contraindications to the use of: individual intolerance to the components. The average price of funds — from 100 rubles.
With moderate lice, only shampoo is used. Apply it on the hair, actively massaged for 5 minutes, then thoroughly wash the head. Dry and comb out the dead insects.
With strong lice, you need to combine shampoo with emulsion:
- wadded disk emulsion is applied to the hair, knotted a scarf, and incubated for 30 minutes,
- apply shampoo, massage for 30 minutes, rinse with warm water,
- dried and combed hair.
After treatment, items used in the procedure are disinfected. In case of contact with the mucous membranes — thoroughly wash them with water.
The active ingredient in the shampoo is permethrin, which paralyzes the nervous system of parasites, which leads to their death. Shampoo is allowed to use during pregnancy and lactation, but it is not allowed to treat children under 30 months of age.
Method of use:
- provide good room ventilation
- rinse hair with water,
- apply shampoo, actively massaging the skin and hair,
- cover your head with a towel or shower cap,
- wait up to 40 minutes
- washed with water and combed out the dead parasites.
Among the side effects are burning sensation on the skin, itching and redness. If ingested, gastric lavage is required.
Does not incorporate chemicals and insecticides, completely natural, designed to remove nits. The active components of the shampoo destroy the enzyme that nits are attached to the base of the hair.
LiceGuard is a relatively safe shampoo that contains only natural ingredients and is distinguished by its mild action.
Apply the product to dry hair and scalp, can withstand up to 5 minutes. Churn the drug with a small amount of water, then removed from the hair by washing. Carefully comb the head with a comb, removing insect eggs.Conduct additional processing after 7 days.
The composition of the shampoo includes natural ingredients: neem extract, anons, camphor and coconut oil. It is safe for humans, but effectively helps against lice and nits. The average cost of the drug is 200 rubles.
Before use, moisturize the head with water, apply shampoo and actively foam. Stand up to 4 minutes, then wash off with warm water, and proceed to the mechanical removal of parasites from the head with a comb.
Itax shampoo is designed to eliminate head lice, its active substance, D-Phenotrin, causes neurotoxicosis in insects, and in small doses is safe for humans. Before use, wash your hair in the usual way, then dry your hair. Wearing gloves, shake the drug and applied to the hair and scalp. Wait 10 minutes, then re-apply the tool on the head with a thick layer of foam. Wash off the drug from the hair, and remove dead insects with a comb. Not recommended for children under 2 years old, and people prone to allergies.
Itax shampoo is suitable for the treatment of pediculosis in young children under 2 years of age.
It is often used to fight insects, but the initial purpose of tar shampoo is to eliminate itching and burning with pediculosis. Its action is too slow, and insects begin to die within 5 days after the start of use. Apply as an ordinary shampoo: put on wet hair, beat the foam, hold it for 5 minutes, then wash the hair. Buy tar shampoo can be a pharmacy, and in a regular store, its price starts from 70 rubles.
Tar shampoo is characterized by a pungent smell, but gradually it disappears and does not remind of itself. Apply it in diseases of the scalp, in order to prevent the alternation of tar shampoo with everyday.
The modern range of pharmacies offers a wide selection of pediculicidal agents for adults and children, so when choosing, it is necessary to build on the person for whom the drug is being purchased, and the degree of its effectiveness.
How can shampoo help fight head lice?
Insecticides contained in these shampoos, lead to paralysis of parasites and their death. Active ingredients do not enter the bloodstream of humans. Thanks to the active component of the therapeutic composition, it is possible to kill all the lice and get rid of nits.
Before using the tool you need to carry out a simple test — put a small amount of it on the wrist or elbow bend. If after 4 hours at this place does not appear redness or burning, it means that the shampoo can be used for its intended purpose.
There are a lot of tools to combat head lice. Each of them has its own characteristics.
Remedies for lice and nits: forms of release and active ingredients
The most effective among all kinds of drugs for the treatment of pediculosis are those that are developed on the basis of the following pesticides:
- permethrin — inhibits the processes of polarization of the membrane of nerve cells, which leads to their prolonged excitation and insect paralysis,
- Phenotrin — violates cationic metabolism in the membranes of nerve cells, which leads to the same consequences,
- Malathion is oxidized to poisonous malaoka, which accumulates in the body and causes the death of an insect in a few minutes, but is also dangerous for animals and humans.
Some substances that are part of pediculicidal agents are used in pure form in the fight against parasites.
Pharmaceuticals are available in the form:
How to apply shampoo for lice
When choosing antiparasitic shampoos, one should pay attention not only to the composition, but also to age restrictions. Most of the funds contain permethrin — an insecticide that inhibits the nervous system of the parasite, which contributes to its paralysis and subsequent death.Although the substance does not enter the bloodstream of a person, children under 5 years of age are not recommended for pregnant and lactating women to use shampoos based on permethrin.
Before proceeding to the treatment of pediculosis, you should carefully study the instructions and conduct the test. To do this, a small amount of shampoo is applied on the elbow bend, wrist. If after 3-4 hours there is no irritation, redness, burning, deterioration of health — you can use the treatment.
There is one more nuance on which it is worth to focus attention, choosing a shampoo against lice. Only a small fraction of the drugs has an ovicidal effect — it destroys nits. The predominant part of the funds affects only adult lice and larvae, they are not capable of destroying the dense shell of the egg. Therefore, you need to be prepared for the need to re-process.
The procedure for removing lice with shampoo consists of several steps:
- Apply the product to dry or wet hair.
- Cover the head with a plastic scarf, hat.
- Sustain the drug for 10-40 minutes, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Wash off shampoo with plenty of warm water.
- If there are no components in the product that destroy the adhesive substance, with which the nits are firmly attached to the hair, then rinse the hair with a solution of vinegar.
- Using a special comb or comb with fine pitch, comb out dead parasites and lice, periodically removing adhered individuals from the teeth.
Shampoo against lice for children under 5 years
Not every shampoo sold in the pharmacy is suitable for the treatment of pediculosis in babies. The list of detergents for removing lice in pregnant women and children is very limited. This is due to the fact that not all pharmaceutical companies can afford to conduct laboratory, clinical studies confirming the safety of the drug. Some because of lack of funds, others due to the lack of volunteers.
Shampoo lice and nits for children produced by several companies. How much is the drug and the age limit are shown in the table:
Paranit — safe shampoo
Effective antiparasitic drug for the treatment of head lice. It is a thick bright liquid. The composition includes perfume perfume, foaming agents and the active component — mineral oil Clearol. When applying the shampoo to the hair, the active substance tightly envelops the hair shaft, thereby preventing air penetration, which causes insects to suffocate.
According to manufacturers, the drug Paranit has a killing effect on lice at all stages of development. Shampoo is evenly distributed on dry hair and aged 10 minutes. Then washed off and comb, included in the kit, comb out dead insects, larvae. After 7 days, re-treatment is recommended. Paranit Sensitive is also available.
Contraindications to the use of Paranita are skin diseases, the presence of wounds on the skin, pregnancy and lactation.
Sumitrin — a cheap remedy
Pediculosis shampoo for children over 2 years old. The active ingredient is Phenotrin from the pyrethroid group. The procedure is performed with gloves. Apply the product to slightly moistened hair and leave it for 10 minutes. Immediately after the end of the specified time, the head is slightly moistened and the drug is actively rubbed, after which it is washed off and the dead individuals are removed with a lice comb.
Possible side effects: itching, rash. It can be used as a preventive measure once a decade and for disinsection of things, premises Analog Sumitrina — shampoo Anti-bit.
Nit Fri — a natural drug
Shampoo based on essential oils, one of which is peppermint oil, which has repellent properties. You can buy in bottles of various sizes. Does not irritate the scalp, does not provoke dryness, daily use is allowed.The effectiveness of the application depends largely on how thoroughly the lice is combed out. Manufacturers recommend to additionally purchase a special comb of their production, which provides total combing of all nits.
Among the drawbacks of Neath Free, the high price of shampoo is noted, as well as the oily structure, which makes the product foaming poorly.
Advantages and disadvantages of shampoos
They are the most convenient, but not always effective. After using them, thoroughly wash off the dead parasites and brush their hair. Their advantages:
- ease of use — they are applied to wet strands for a few minutes (most often up to half an hour), after which they are washed off with warm water,
- safety for hair — they have a mild effect, unlike some substances (for example, benzyl benzoate), which destroy the hair structure, therefore, after using drugs based on them, curls are restored with therapeutic agents or cut,
- efficacy against lice — the components of shampoos have a detrimental effect on adults and larvae,
- holding time up to 30 minutes — other forms of pediculicidal agents sometimes keep on hair and skin for several hours, which is difficult, especially if there is a burning or itching.
Shampoos are easy to apply and wash off, which is why they are very popular.
Despite the impressive list of benefits, lice shampoos have cons:
- inefficiency in the fight against nits — the shell of eggs is more difficult to destroy than the insect’s chitinous cover,
- the need to use more than once — because shampoos are mostly not effective against nits, of which new individuals hatch after a few days, the procedure is repeated.
Pediculosis shampoos are used to prevent disease. When lice are on the person, they begin to actively multiply. Therefore, we need funds that destroy eggs, not just adults.
Shampoos destroy adults and larvae, but do not act on nits
Knicks — a remedy for lice for crumbs
German-made Knicks shampoo cream that can be used to treat pediculosis in children over 6 months of age. Differs in characteristic sharp smell, contains permethrin. One bottle is enough for 2 short-length hair treatments. Attached plastic comb. To get rid of lice, the drug is applied to wet hair, from the roots to the very tips, the exposure is maintained for 10 minutes.
According to reviews, the tool has a number of disadvantages:
- ten minutes is not enough to kill the lice, so you have to comb out half-dead individuals,
- in most cases, the Knicks helps to get rid of parasites after two procedures,
- the comb, which is included in the kit, poorly copes with its tasks and does not remove nits,
- vial form does not allow to remove the tool completely.
Popular pediculosis shampoos
There are many remedies for nits and lice, but the characteristics of use and effectiveness of not all of them suit people.
Permethrin-based antiparasitic shampoo acts on adults and larvae, but not on nits. It slightly destroys the sticky substance that allows the lice eggs to stick to the hair, but does not completely destroy it, so the nits remain. Veda and Veda 2 shampoos are released. Their fundamental difference in the concentration of the active component (in the first 0.4%, in the second 0.5%) and the exposure time are 30–40 and 10 minutes, respectively.
- non-toxic to humans
- do not cause irritation
- destroy lice and larvae,
- weaken the attachment of nits to the hair.
But there are also disadvantages:
- eggs remain alive
- the need to repeat the procedure, but no more than 2 times a month.
The adhesive substance is destroyed by the acid, so after rinsing the hair, the hair is rinsed with a 4.5% solution of vinegar (diluted in half with water and vinegar). After drying the hair, the lice and nits are combed with a special comb.
For combing parasites use special combs
- lactation and pregnancy
- children up to 5 years
- hypersensitivity to components
- skin diseases.
Shampoos Veda and Veda 2 have the same effect on lice, but have different concentrations of permethrin in the composition
The insecticidal agent based on permethrin and detergent paralyzes lice and lathers well, and the skin and hair are not damaged and there is no pain or itching. Also included is acetic acid. It contributes to the destruction of the gluey substance by which the eggs of lice are attached to the hair. The shampoo is applied to wet strands and left for 20-25 minutes, then washed off with warm water. Its advantages:
- lack of toxins
- if the skin is damaged, there will be no burning or itching from the shampoo,
- relatively short exposure time: 20-25 minutes
- The kit includes a special comb for combing lice and nits from dry hair.
Negative sides of shampoo:
- the need for two procedures with an interval of 7-10 days,
- possible allergic reaction in the form of redness of the skin.
- children under five years old
- pregnant women and during lactation,
- with individual intolerance to the components of the tool.
Hygia shampoo is easy to apply on hair and quickly washed off, does not cause burning
The shampoo is based on clearol, which consists of anise, coconut and ylang-ylang oils. Foaming agents are included as additional elements. The complex of active components acts on the parasites suffocatingly and provokes dehydration, as a result of which all hatched individuals die. It affects the nits less, because they are protected by the shell.
Contraindications to the drug:
- children up to three years
- pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- individual intolerance,
- damage to the skin of the head.
- shampoo holding time is only 10 minutes
- safety, since pesticides are not included.
- it does not help the first time — one or more procedures are required,
- some nits and adults survive,
- high price.
Products called Paranit are quite diverse: shampoos, sprays, repellents
The basis of this tool is rosemary and ylang-ylang essential oils. They envelop the parasites, depriving the air, and also contribute to the destruction of the sticky substance holding the nits on the hair. Essential oils have wound-healing properties, so that after using the shampoo, damaged skin heals faster. The avalanche is used for prophylaxis and after treatment with other pediculicidal agents to consolidate the result obtained and to destroy those lice and nits that are still alive.
- rapid healing of the affected skin,
- hair restoration after aggressive means
- the presence of scallops in the kit.
The disadvantage is low efficacy against parasites. It also has contraindications:
- children up to two years
- pregnancy and lactation,
- individual intolerance.
The avalanche comes in the form of a spray and shampoo.
Nok — Universal Shampoo
The drug against head lice, pubic lice, for the treatment of scabies. It is also effective against fleas, ticks, acts on imago, nits, larvae. Can be used for the prevention of pediculosis. The active ingredient is insecticide permethrin.
Processing is carried out in a well ventilated area. Shampoo is applied with massage movements to wet strands. Cover the head with a cap, after 40 minutes, wash off and wash your head with any familiar detergent. As a preventive measure, a small amount of shampoo is applied to the hair, after which they are combed and dried. The repellent effect on lice persists for 14 days.
Shampoo based on aniseed essential oil is effective against hatched individuals, and is not affected by nits and adhesives. Its advantages:
- lack of toxins
- kills adult individuals and larvae after the first use,
- holding time — half an hour,
- does not cause allergic reactions
- allowed for use by pregnant and lactating women after consulting a doctor.
The disadvantage is that the shampoo does not act on nits. Contraindications:
- children up to 5 years
- individual intolerance to anise.
Pedikulen Ultra is popular for its safe composition
Another tool whose active ingredient is permethrin. By its consistency, it resembles a cream that is applied to clean, dry hair, but just like shampoo, it is easily washed off with warm water. Just one procedure is enough to kill all the lice and nits. Over the next 2–6 weeks, Knicks protects a person from reinfection. During the use of the drug may cause an allergic reaction in the field of bites.
- children up to 6 months
- pregnancy and breastfeeding,
- individual intolerance.
- the action of the drug from the first time,
- killing nits,
- protection from infection for 2–6 weeks,
- holding time on the hair — 10 minutes
- the presence of scallops in the kit.
The disadvantage is that the active ingredient of the drug is an insecticide. Its dose to humans is insignificant, but it cannot be used by people with hypersensitivity.
Despite the fact that the Knicks is more like a cream, it is easy to apply on hair and skin and rinse like a shampoo
How to choose shampoo
To buy an effective remedy, consider:
- The degree of infection with parasites, their number, how long they appeared. If the skin is covered with red bumps, itching and hurting all the time, then shampoo is not enough. Relieve itching, pain and destroy the living parasites, it will help, but not completely cured. If you just got infected, any shampoo will do. The more lice and nits, the harder it is to get rid of them
- Treatment or prophylaxis is necessary. If you happen to be in places where parasites are found, use an essential oil-based product to avoid lice. Various essential oils are good prevention of pediculosis.
- Financial opportunities. Not always shampoos, even the most expensive, are as effective as emulsions or sprays, the price of which ranges from 100-400 rubles. Sometimes it is worthwhile to buy an uncomfortable emulsion, which is kept for an hour or longer on the hair, but cheaper and more effective.
- Individual body response to the components and such restrictions as age and pregnancy, the period of breastfeeding.
To get rid of pediculosis with shampoos, it is important to apply them correctly:
- Apply them to wet hair and maintain the time indicated in the instructions. On average, it does not exceed half an hour.
- Keep out of eyes. If this happens, wash them with plenty of water.
- Keep funds in places inaccessible to children, pets and where sunlight does not penetrate. Pediculicidal shampoos are much more dangerous than usual, so they need to be removed as far as possible from children.
- After shampooing, comb the nits and lice with a special comb. The most convenient way to do this is on dry hair, because there is more air in them and less parasites get stuck. But shampoo manufacturers recommend doing it immediately, until the surviving bloodsuckers came to their senses and regained their ability to quickly escape.
- If required, repeat the procedure 7–10 days after the first one. Many drugs can not be used more than twice a month.
When using shampoos, an allergic reaction may occur in the area of parasite bites. This is due to the sensitivity of the damaged areas. In this caseStop using the product to prevent serious consequences, for example, angioedema.
After washing, I dried my hair with a hair dryer and joyful went for a check, it turned out that you need to keep this tool on your hair longer and reuse it only after a week . Yes, the tool helped in 10 minutes, but the clicking (live) nits are still remained, it was decided to repeat the procedure the next day, but previously smeared with Cheremical water. 2nd day of my torment. It’s good that it’s summer and we have a lot of free time! This time I held the product for 50–60 minutes, washed off, dried my hair, straightened it with an iron and began to wait for the checker (mother). In the evening, the test was completed, the nits just fell off the hair, of course, this is probably a merit and a flat ironing, but I think we could not do it without VEDA-2 shampoo!
In general, she processed the head of her daughter. I have to say that the smell of the shampoo is pleasant. Wait 10-15 minutes with shampoo on your head — no problem, it does not flow at all. In general, from the application — some positive emotions, but as for the result . During the combing I found a pair of living lice . The instructions have a warning that after processing the head lice can still be alive (they are already poisoned and you need to wait a little time). But the next day . All lice were living crap! Scrubbed six pieces absolutely alive! Only I was amazed — how quickly they moved on the napkin! The only thing I liked about this tool is a comb. It is plastic, but very thick.
Shampoo was applied to dry hair (it was not very convenient to apply), as thick hair had to be poured almost half a bottle on my head. And the consistency is not entirely successful, like oil. After 10 minutes I went to flush — there was a lot of foam when I came in contact with water! Hair washes until creaking. The kit includes a comb for combing nits, which must be done after using the shampoo. According to the instructions, the shampoo should be used 2 times. That is, after the first use, you need to repeat the procedure in a week. But I can say that even the first time I completely lost lice, although it was quite difficult to comb the nits. Scallop from the kit-not really grabs them. Perhaps this is why you need to repeat this procedure. As a result, I can say the remedy is very good. Its price is fully justified.
After shampooing — combing out what’s left there. I was afraid of this even more than the treatment itself and was worried that I had to listen to my child, because my daughter’s hair is very naughty and it is just so hard to comb it, because they are very confused. And here in the set such a small comb. But to my surprise, her hair was very docile, and never hurt the little girl. This is due to the quality of fine and metal scallops. So, she even, leaning on the table, fell asleep while I was busy in searching for corpses. Of course, the smell remained, though not so strong. But the hair and scalp was not affected. The next day was smooth as silk, even though the advertisement is removed. I liked this fact. Fortunately, I almost did not find any remnants of lice, I still think that the remedy is effective, true, expensive. But what can’t you do for our kids.
I applied the product to the hair (abundantly), then washed it off under running water, and washed it with ordinary shampoo. The flavor is annoying, not easily washed out. In use, as you can see, there is nothing complicated. Since my lice were at the housewarming stage, it was enough for me once.
They chose meticulously, one of the most important conditions was that the product could be used for a daughter, and she was not yet 2 years old. Under this condition fit only one cream — NIKS. As it turned out, this is the only remedy for the treatment of lice in Russia that can be used by children from 6 months. Bought, came home, started treatment.They did everything strictly according to the instructions: they washed the hair with shampoo, applied the cream to the hair, scalp, washed it out after 10 minutes (later I read reviews that recommend keeping it longer, but as for medicines, I always follow the instructions clearly). According to the description of the drug, the parasites should have been paralyzed. Imagine our surprise when, while combing, we found live, quite viable, I would even say, cheerful lice! The tool went into the trash, and we again in the pharmacy. The only plus is a special plastic comb with frequent teeth for combing lice and nits, which is the only thing left.
When choosing a shampoo for the treatment of pediculosis, first consult with your doctor. But if this is not possible, take the most effective of those that are not contraindicated to you.
Can pediculosis be cured with shampoo?
To get rid of lice and nits with a special detergent is quite simple and effective.
Which shampoo is better from lice and nits? As a rule, such shampoos do not require a complex technique of application, are safe for the patient and at the same time show high efficiency.
Sometimes these drugs are the only possible means of treatment of pediculosis at home. Pharmacies will meet a wide variety of shampoos from lice and nits.
It is inappropriate to save money in the treatment of this disease. A cheap tool may turn out to be of poor quality, cause allergic reactions, or not at all show proper efficacy.
Now let’s talk about the most popular shampoos against lice and nits.
The most popular among pediculosis shampoos is a drug called «Veda-2». In addition to its effective action against lice and nits, shampoo has a mild composition that does not contain aggressive chemicals.
As a rule, the effect of the shampoo from lice Veda is manifested within 30-40 minutes after treatment with the skin of the scalp. To obtain the best effect, it is necessary to withstand the treatment composition on the hair for ten minutes.
In order to avoid recurrence, it is necessary to repeat the procedure every two weeks. However, if you are prone to allergic reactions, for a start, it is better to consult with your doctor, because shampoo is effective, but in some cases it can irritate the skin of the head.
Another effective shampoo for lice and nits — «Paranit». This drug is used, as a rule, in children’s pediculosis, as the agent is chemically harmless, but also effectively copes with the manifestation of the disease in adults.
The active substance that is part of the drug, envelops harmful organisms with a thin film, as a result of which they die soon.
It is necessary to apply Paranit shampoo from lice on the hair, beat the foam and distribute it throughout the hair.
The tool is aged for 10-15 minutes, after which it is removed, taking lice with it. If you hold the composition for forty minutes, then the manifestation of pediculosis can be completely eliminated.
The list of the best lice shampoos also includes “Pedilin”. Its active ingredients — malathion and tetramethrin are known for their ability to accumulate in the body of parasites and poison them.
Which leads to the death of lice and nits. The drug treatment is performed by treating the scalp hair on the hair moistened with water with massage movements.
Aged «Pedilin» on the curls for three minutes. Repeat the procedure required in a week.
This drug has a strong effect, as it contains chemical elements that can be harmful to the human body. Therefore, we strongly recommend to consult with a specialist before using it.
Also, quite often, when a patient asks a doctor to recommend a good shine shampoo, he is offered a “Knicks” product. Due to the same active component, which is part of the drug «Veda-2», these tools are almost identical in their effectiveness.
This pediculosis prevention shampoo is also practically does not cause allergic reactions and irritation. It is noteworthy that the treatment with this shampoo should be done only after cleansing the hair with ordinary shampoo and dry it a little.
To achieve the best result, it is necessary to withstand the drug on the head not for 15 minutes, as indicated by the instructions, and not less than half an hour. After this time, the tool is removed from the hair using a regular shampoo.
Hygia is a good shampoo for lice and nits, it provides high-quality removal of adult parasites from the skin of the head, thanks to its active ingredient — permethrin.
Acetic acid, which is included in the structure of the preparation, has a softening effect on the shell of nits, as a result of which insects easily peel off from the scalp.
This effective shampoo for lice is applied to the hair with massage movements and kept for half an hour, then the drug is removed, and the hair is combed out with a special comb, which is attached to the product. As a rule, it is the use of such a comb that effectively removes parasites from the scalp.
Now, let’s talk about the composition of the louse shampoo, which components should be part of a good product.
How to choose the right tool?
Surely, this question asked every patient who turned to pharmacy shampoos to get rid of the disease. But how not to get lost in the variety of shampoos and make the right choice?
First, pediculosis shampoo must contain low toxic components. For example, good ingredients would be: clearol, anise oil, lavender oil, ylang-ylang oil. These ingredients do not cause allergic reactions and irritation.
Secondly, necessary content of natural ingredients such as: pyrethrin, sumitrin, malathion, permethrin, dimethicone. They have a toxic effect on parasites.
Thirdly, it is better to give preference to shampoos, complete with which is a special comb. As a rule, it is the removal of lice and nits with the help of combing out after the treatment with the head with a detergent that gives the maximum effect. Read more about how to comb out parasites correctly here.
The most effective shampoo for lice and nits
From the above preparations “Higia” and “Pedilin” shampoos have received the best reviews. Patients who underwent treatment with these means indicated that they show their effectiveness after the first use.
Since “Pedilin” contains two active components in its structure, the drug works even in the case when the parasites have resistance to one of the ingredients.
Can I get lice out with regular shampoo? Definitely not.
As a rule, conventional preparations for cleaning the hair and scalp do not have the necessary components. Simply parasites will not respond to it.
Can shampoo lice appear? It is impossible to contract pediculosis from using regular shampoo for washing hair, because the disease is transmitted only when making contact with the carrier of the disease. For more information about the causes of pediculosis, read on our website.
They can be both cats, dogs, and people. Pediculosis can be transmitted by using personal hygiene items.
Can lice be removed with flea shampoo? Yes, to get rid of this disease is excellent flea shampoos will do.
It is noteworthy that such drugs are good in use for both people and pets.The components that make up these shampoos are completely harmless to them, but very harmful to the parasites.
For the treatment of lice, both in humans and in pets, Veda-2, described above, is well suited. Now that you know whether flea shampoo for lice helps, let’s talk about how to use special shampoos.
The method of use for all shampoos is almost the same:
In normal cases, it is enough to hold up to two procedures. To prevent recurrence, the procedure should be repeated after a week and a half.
In order to prevent the development of pediculosis, it is necessary to carry out the procedure of washing the head with special shampoos for lice for prophylaxis every two weeks. It is also necessary keep a close eye on personal hygiene, change bed linen every week, underwear is not recommended to be worn for more than one day, do not use other people’s hats and hairbrushes, regularly carry out cleaning of home premises.
What you need to know about pediculosis
It can only be infected by living lice, nits are not transmitted from person to person, as they are firmly attached to the hair 1 cm from the root. Lice do not fly, do not swim, but only crawl, so infection is possible only when one person touches the hair with the hair of another, and most often it does not occur in public places, but at home or close contact of children in kindergartens and schools.
Also, sleeping on one bed, using one set of bed linen is a risk for transmission, contrary to the beliefs of many through combs, hats, headphones, transmission is extremely rare, only if you have a massive pediculosis in a child or adult. Most often prone to girls lice, due to the presence of long hair, so parents should teach their daughter to ensure that the hair was always neatly styled, braided.
How many lice live?
- Adult parasites can survive just 1 day outside the scalp.
- On the head of a person their life does not exceed 21 days
- Of the eggs (nits) lice hatch after 7 days
- Neither cats, nor dogs, or other domestic animals are not carriers of human head lice.
- Lice can not be kept on smooth surfaces — metal, plastic, polished, their limbs are adapted only to move through human hair
- Lice are not carriers of any diseases and even with prolonged absence of treatment they do not cause serious harm to health, except for furunculosis of the scalp and pustular diseases, in very advanced cases lymphadenitis of the cervical lymph nodes is possible.
It belongs to the group of organophosphate insecticides. The active substance accumulates in the body of the parasite in large quantities, which leads to its death. Effective against adults and nits. They get self-poisoning with acetylcholine.
Shampoo applied to the hair, moistened with water. After 3 minutes, it is washed off, repeat the treatment and the parasites are combed out with a frequent comb. The hair is washed well, after a week the whole procedure is repeated.
Features of funds
Means of this category are general purpose, but differ in contraindications. There are shampoos that can not be used by pregnant women, as well as children of a certain age — up to 3, 5 or 12 years.
There are some drugs allowed for one year old babies. This difference is due to the composition of the funds, and most importantly, the main active ingredient. According to this criterion, there are shampoos that contain:
- Permethrin. A viscous chemical component that paralyzes the nervous system of blood-sucking parasites. Insecticide fights with different types of insects, therefore it is also found in the means against fleas and ticks for animals (it is used with care for cats). The substance is obtained from the extract of chrysanthemum, so for people with allergies to these flowers, it is important to obtain a doctor’s permission to use products with permethrin.
- Phenotrin. It is a methyl ester, which also affects the nerve cells of lice and nits, providing a toxic effect.
- Essential oils. They do not destroy adults and their larvae in the physical sense, but they repel insects with a pungent odor, as well as at the expense of an oily consistency make combing pests easier. Additionally, the esters have a positive effect on the condition of the strands and the skin, healing small wounds. These louse shampoos are suitable in most cases for children and pregnant women. From contraindications — individual intolerance to oils or allergies to them.
- Dimethicone. Liquid silicone penetrates the insects’ respiratory system and blocks oxygen.
- Clearol. It is a mineral oil that envelops blood suckers with an airtight film and thereby provokes their death.
- Natural ingredients. This category includes tar shampoos from different manufacturers. Natural tar contains phenols, esters, organic acids. They are unable to kill insects, but they cause discomfort to the parasites and temporarily immobilize them.
- Combination of substances. Such funds are considered the most effective. Combination options: permethrin + malathion (insecticide), permethrin + piperonyl, etc.
Also in the preparations there are other components. For example, panthenol or herbal ingredients. Some companies add flavorings to their ingredients.
Attention! Shampoo kills lice, but dead parasites still need to be combed out of the hair. This will help ordinary or special scallops with frequent teeth. Often they come with anti-pediculosis remedy.
Pedilin — children’s remedy for lice and nits
A good and inexpensive shampoo based on malathion. The drug is characterized by a specific odor. On the hair is kept for no more than 10 minutes, after which rinsing with acetic solution is recommended. In their reviews, consumers agree that to completely get rid of lice requires several procedures.
General recommendations on how to get rid of lice
In order for the treatment to be effective, you should clearly follow the recommendations specified in the instructions for use of the drug, be it liquid, spray or shampoo. Only in this case, you can count on the successful disposal of parasites. How to get rid of lice:
Most chemicals do not destroy nits, so an important condition for the effectiveness of treatment is thorough combing them with a comb. That is, first, live lice must be destroyed with any chemical preparation, and then thoroughly, during the week, comb the nits (hands, comb). Then, after 7 days from the treatment, carefully examine the head and if living lice are found, repeat the application of the preparation and also thoroughly comb the nits in the following week.
- Use either a chemical or combing with an air conditioner. At the same time, such procedures should not be performed, as the conditioner creates a film on the hair, reducing the absorption of chemicals.
- Home-made treatments or “folk remedies” — mayonnaise, margarine, petroleum jelly, herbal remedies, essential oils — rosemary, geranium, basil, olive oil (harm and benefit) are not effective, do not waste time on such procedures. It is especially dangerous to use kerosene, gasoline and other toxic substances, which are successfully used in veterinary medicine, but they have a very negative, toxic effect on the human body, since they are actively absorbed through the skin.
- Also doubtful effect with no guaranteed effect have electric combs. These are quite expensive lice products that destroy them with electric current. Apply them only on dry hair and they are not 100% effective.
The old method of destroying lice and nits by crushing by hand today is no longer relevant and is also ineffective, since living lice can easily crawl onto the hair that has already been examined and whoever performs the same procedure can easily become infected with lice. With massive breeding lice sometimes shaved hair bald.
One of the safest and most effective ways to control lice is to use a conventional conditioner when combing parasites. This procedure should be carried out very carefully according to a specific scheme. And it should be remembered that for removing lice you need to use either air conditioning and scallops, or chemicals, as air conditioning prevents the absorption of drugs. The effect of combing with conditioner appears if this procedure is performed 4 times for 1 day, 5, then 9 and 13, that is, every 4 days for 2 weeks.
First, the head is washed, then a large amount of conventional conditioner is applied and the parasites are combed first with a comb with rare teeth, then with frequent teeth.
The comb should always be rinsed, since lice and nits should be removed along with the air conditioner. After such a thorough procedure, the hair is dried, combed and combed again, using a frequent comb (see for more information on head lice and pediculosis treatment in children).
How to remove lice with shampoos?
- Before use, you should carefully comb dry hair with a regular comb.
- Read the instructions for use of the selected agent and apply it to the hair as indicated in it.
- Wait for the time specified in the instructions.
- When time is up, carefully comb your hair with the included comb to remove dead lice and nits.
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo and rinse with 2% solution of table vinegar. This is necessary for the destruction of the adhesive substance, through which the nits are attached to the hair, and once again comb the hair.
- Be sure to daily comb the hair in the following days with a comb and remove the nits if live lice are detected, which means either the product is not effective or the instructions for its use have been violated.
- A week later, you should check your hair using “detecting combing”. If you find parasites — repeat the procedure again.
- In case of accidental contact with the mucous membranes and skin, thoroughly rinse the nose and mouth with warm water.
- If when using chem. Means irritation, itching, rash on the skin should be washed as quickly as possible this area and, if necessary, consult a doctor.
- In case of accidental contact of the substance with eyes, rinse thoroughly with plenty of water and also with a weak solution of baking soda 2%. If irritation of the mucous eyes appears, you should drop the eyes with a solution of sodium sulfacyl 20-30%, if there is pain — 2% novocaine solution.
- If the upper respiratory tract is irritated, remove the victim to fresh air, wash the mouth, nasopharynx with a solution of baking soda.
Full Marks — liquid from lice and nits
Ingredients: cyclomethicone and isopropyl myristate. Included — an oily liquid and comb for combing.
This lice cleaner is not a water-based shampoo, so the procedure should be carried away from a source of heat or open flame. This drug has passed a lot of clinical trials proving its effectiveness, he has no smelleasy to use.
Contraindications: children under 5 years of age, pregnancy, lactation, hypersensitivity.
Application: Shake the container with liquid, apply the product to dry hair, rub it evenly into the skin and hair along the entire length, wait 10 minutes. Then follows the comb, included in the set, to comb the dead lice. A week later, the procedure should be repeated, because some nits can survive. If you carefully comb the nits, then reuse can be avoided. Rinse the comb carefully after each combing of the strands and wipe with a dry cloth or cotton pad. After that you should wash your hair well with shampoo without conditioner.
Reviews: Easy to use, odorless, what’s important for children with asthma, non-toxic, oil-based, fluids all hair well, comb is very good, It is effective if after treatment you carefully comb the nits (52% efficiency). Among the shortcomings, they distinguish the fact that it is a very oily remedy, the hair remains greasy for a long time, it is poorly washed off and the child scratches his head for another week.
Price: solution 100 ml. 500 rubles, spray 150 ml 750 rubles. manufacturer UK.
Pedilin — shampoo for lice and nits
Active ingredient: Malathion and Tetrametrin.
This is a remedy for pediculosis from the group of organophosphate insecticides. Its action consists in the accumulation of its high concentrations in the body of the parasite, which leads to the death of both lice and nits due to self-poisoning by acetylcholine.
Overdose symptoms: Both prolonged exposure to the skin and inhalation of a toxic substance can lead to systemic and local toxic effects — tearing, blurred vision, hypersalivation, tachycardia (causes), hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), changes in blood pressure, vomiting, nausea, seizures, cyanosis, respiratory disorders, abdominal pain, urinary incontinence, weakness.
Contraindications: children under 2 years, hypersensitivity to the drug.
Use: Shampoo should be applied to damp hair, rubbing a little, wait 3 minutes and wash off, then repeat the application and comb the lice with a comb. After carefully washing the hair, a week later, you can repeat the procedure.
Reviews: Most of those who use this shampoo claim that it is an ineffective drug, even 4 times its use and a long time (up to 40 minutes) its effect does not work as soon as the hair dries, the lice “continue to run”, in addition, the product has a very strong odor .
Review Performance 57%
Price: 240-300 rubles. manufacturer Slovenia.
Pair plus — an aerosol on destruction of louses and nits
Active ingredient: complex preparation Permethrin, Malathion and Piperonyl butoxide
Contraindications: children up to 2.5 years, with bronchial asthma, with hypersensitivity, pregnant and lactating women.
Application: Spray aerosol short press, applied over the entire length of the hair and on the scalp, then wait 10 minutes, while the head should not be covered with anything. After washing the head with ordinary shampoo, and the dead insects are combed out with a thick comb.
Reviews: A lot of reviews about the drug, both positive and negative. In some cases, the drug was effective, there is no need to reuse, in some even 3 times the use did not lead to a positive result. The disadvantage of all is its high cost, the need to cover the nose and mouth of the child due to the risk of developing bronchospasm.
Estimated to use 56% efficiency.
Price: 680 rubles., Manufacturer France
Paranit — shampoo
There are contraindications, read the instructions.
Active ingredient: mineral oil Clearol
Contraindicated: children under 3 years old, during pregnancy and lactation, prone to allergies.
Use: Before using the shampoo, you should make sure that there are no lice in all family members, especially in the temporo-occipital region of the head. All those who have parasites, should be treated hair on the same day.
- Apply shampoo to dry hair, evenly distributing throughout their length, gently massage the scalp, leave the product for 10 minutes. Then add water and whip the foam on your hair, wash it off and rinse your head thoroughly with water.
- Then follows a special comb (included in the kit) to comb the hair to remove dead lice and nits.
- To do this, divide the hair into 4 sections, with long hair, braid each section into a braid and carefully brush each section from root to tip, dividing it into separate small strands with a special comb.
Separate each strand of hair that has been cleaned and tested from nits from those that have not yet been treated on the other side.
After each combing hair strands should wash off insects from the comb and wipe it with a cotton disc.
- After a week, you can repeat the procedure.
- During the day, head lice can be viable in the external environment. To avoid reinfection, you should wash clothes, bedding, towels in hot water on the same day, thoroughly rinse all hairpins, combs, combs used by the child or infected family members.
Reviews: The overwhelming majority of those who used Paranit claim about the effectiveness of the remedy (58%). Some report that it causes skin irritation, is very oily and doesn’t get rid of lice, the bottle lasts 1-2 times with an average hair length, 4 times with short hair.
Price: PARANITES shampoo 200 ml. with a comb 720-800 rubles. CGR No. RU.77.99.21.002.E.022214. 06.11
Active ingredient: Phenotrin
Contraindicated: children under 2.5 years old, pregnancy, lactation, idiosyncrasy.
Application: Apply to slightly damp (lightly moistened) hair for 10 minutes. After that, the hair is additionally moistened with water and rubbed in the product, then the drug is washed off. Hair combed, removing dead lice. Sometimes the procedure should be repeated after a day, as well as a week.
Reviews: Parasidosis does not help many people, neither the nits nor the lice die. Efficiency 36%.
Price: shampoo about 300 rubles., Manufacturer France.
Ingredients: tincture of hellebore Lobel rhizomes
Contraindicated: in case of hypersensitivity, with caution during pregnancy and feeding, safety when used in children has not been proven.
Application: shake the bottle well and apply to damp hair all over the scalp and all hair, especially behind the ears and on the back of the head. Do not rinse the solution for 20-30 minutes, then comb it out with a frequent comb of dead lice, rinse the head with shampoo and dry it. After a day, you can repeat the procedure, as well as a week later.
Reviews: According to many reviews, the drug helps well if used according to instructions. Efficiency 26%.
Composition : anise oil 6%, isopropyl alcohol, functional additives.
Contraindications: children under 5 years old, breastfeeding, pregnancy, scalp diseases, skin damage. Use only with gloves, remove contact lenses before use.
How to use: Liberally moisten hair with Pediculen, slightly rubbing. After 30 minutes, rinse with running water and wash them in the usual way. Then the hair should be combed with a frequent comb to remove dead insects.
Reviews: Negative reviews are based on a very pungent smell (causes vomiting in sensitive children and adults), an irritating effect on the skin of children. In general, the drug helps a lot.
Price: lotion 160 -180 rubles, shampoo 500-600 rubles.
Nittifor — cream, lotion against pediculosis
Nittifor — When using the active substance does not enter the bloodstream, it is not absorbed.
Application: The solution should not be diluted, ready means to moisten the head, rub into the roots, leave for 40 minutes. After that, rinse hair with shampoo and rinse with 5% vinegar solution and comb out dead lice and nits with thick scallop. On average, per person requires 10 — 60 ml of Nittifor. If there is a risk of re-infection (contact in the kindergarten or school), it is better to use the product after washing your hair and leave it after drying. Nittifor is able to remain active for up to 2 weeks, preventing reproduction of lice.
Cream: shake the bottle, wash your hair, dry with a towel, evenly apply the cream to the hair of the head, rubbing it into the hair roots. After 10 min, wash off the product and wash the hair with shampoo, rinse with 5% aqueous solution of acetic acid, and comb it out with a comb.
Side effects: allergies, itching, erythema, burning, tingling.
Contraindications: Children under 5 years of age, during pregnancy and lactation, in case of hypersensitivity.
Reviews: It is easy to use, does not flow, is well washed off and evenly distributed, it helps well from 1 time even with a large number of lice. Review Performance 32%
Price: 300-350 rubles., Producer Hungary
Medifox concentrate for the preparation of an emulsion of 5%
Means for the treatment of pediculosis in children, a means for the treatment of scabies.
Contraindications: individual intolerance, children up to 1 year.
Application: In the treatment of pediculosis is used externally in the form of freshly prepared aqueous emulsion (1/3 of a bottle is added to 200 ml of warm boiled water). The aqueous emulsion is abundantly applied to wet hair of the head, lightly rubbed into the skin with a cotton swab. 20 minutes after treatment, the agent is rinsed with warm running water and soap (shampoo).
Medifox gel pediculicide
This tool is used to treat pediculosis in children from 5 years.
Application: The gel is evenly applied to clean, wet hair of the head, rubbing it into the hair roots. The product is washed off after 40 minutes with warm water and soap or shampoo. To remove dead insects, hair is combed with a frequent comb.
Gel consumption: from 10 to 50 gr. (from 1/5 to 1 tube) per person, depending on the degree of infestation by insects, length and thickness of hair. In case of repeated infection, repeat the treatment.
Price: Medifox 100 rub.
Funds from pediculosis with the active substance benzyl benzoate.
Purpose: Used externally for the treatment of pediculosis in children from 5 years.
Ingredients: 20% gasoline benzoate and functional additives.
Method of application: The lotion is evenly applied to clean, damp hair of the head, rubbing into the hair roots. After 10 minutes, rinse off with warm water and soap or shampoo. To remove dead insects, hair is combed with a frequent comb. Consumption rate from 10 to 50 ml per person, depending on the degree of insect infestation, length and thickness of hair.
Contraindications: Children age 5 years old, pregnant and lactating women.
Reviews: Most of these tools help, the main thing is to correctly implement the recommendations on the use of the drug according to the instructions. Review Performance 31%.
Knicks — cream
Contraindications: dermatitis of the scalp, with caution in children up to 6 months and women during pregnancy.
Application: First, you should wash your hair with shampoo, dry, then thoroughly shake the bottle of cream and apply it on the head, distributing it evenly, especially to pay attention not to the back area of the head and behind the ears. After applying, wait 10 minutes, then wash your hair and dry with a towel that is part of a comb to carefully comb the nits and lice. A week later, repeat the procedure for the detection of nits or new lice.
Side effects: paresthesia, swelling of the skin, rash, burning pain, allergic reactions, redness, skin irritation.
Reviews: The same number of positive and negative reviews, many argue that the tool is capable of destroying only live lice, it does not work on nits, so it is important after processing to carefully comb out dead lice, as well as nits. Unlike Pair Plus, the product is non-toxic, convenient to use. Effect 48%
Price: 320-400 rubles.
Contraindications: Not recommended for children under 5 years of age, persons with skin diseases, allergic reactions to cosmetic or medicinal products.
How to use: Moisten the hair slightly, then apply the shampoo, rubbing it thoroughly into the roots, wait 20 minutes, rinse the shampoo with water. Carefully comb the strands of hair with a comb to remove dead insects. The treatment is usually repeated after 10 days, but you cannot use shampoo more often than 2 p / month.
Reviews: Shampoo has an unpleasant smell, slightly tweaks, effectiveness is evaluated differently, one helps with one use, the other does not help.
Price: 200 rub., Manufacturer Bulgaria
Veda-2 pediculicidal shampoo
Contraindications and side effects are similar to other drugs with the active ingredient permethrin.
Application: Moisten hair, apply 1-3 tbsp. spoons of shampoo, beat the foam, wait 10 minutes, then rinse the head thoroughly, rinse with vinegar 5%. After carefully combing the dead parasites.
Reviews: The instructions indicate that you should keep the tool for 10 minutes, but according to some reviews you should wait at least 20 minutes, then there will be an effect. However, many argue that this tool does not help.
Price: price 150 rubles., Manufacturer Russia (Moscow)
If you have used any lice medicine, please leave your feedback to our readers, this will be very useful and important information.
Rules of application
Proper use of anti-pediculum shampoo increases its effectiveness. Manufacturers inform customers with detailed instructions on the bottle, box or liner. Read these recommendations carefully before using the drug. The basic rules are:
- The tool is used once. If one more treatment is required, it is carried out at least in 7–10 days.
- Before shampooing spend an allergy test. A drop of the drug is applied to the wrist and wait 10-15 minutes. Further advice is only relevant if there are no signs of an allergic reaction on the treated skin: red spots, itching, burning, peeling.
- To prevent the liquid from getting into the eyes, a tight bandage is put on the forehead. You can tie a towel.
- Shampoo is distributed on wet hair, beating fluffy foam.
- After that, the head is covered with a plastic bag (if intended by the instruction).
- After a time specified by the manufacturer, the agent is rinsed with running water. Some users recommend for this purpose vinegar rinse, which will facilitate the process of combing insects.
- Drying hair with a hair dryer is not recommended! Some manufacturers claim that it reduces the effectiveness of the shampoo.
- Wet strands are carefully combed with a comb to remove dead lice and nits.
- Then the hair is washed with regular shampoo.
- During pediculosis therapy can not eat, drink and smoke.
- You must ensure that the tool does not fall into the nose or eyes. If this happens, the mucous membranes are washed with copious amounts of water. If the drug gets into the mouth, a thorough rinsing and sorbent intake is recommended.
Attention! Even for the purpose of prophylaxis, medicinal shampoo cannot be used as an ordinary cosmetic shampoo. The frequency of application — once in 7-14 days.
Overview of popular brands
When buying a pediculicidal head wash, you should focus on its composition, features of use and contraindications. You can choose a tool that fits the whole family, including children.And there are more toxic drugs, designed for enhanced control of parasites, but with restrictions on use.
This review presents popular shampoos for lice and nits. Thanks to reviews, they are considered the best in their niche. All products are arranged in alphabetical order.
Veda and Veda 2
Both preparations contain permethrin. The difference is in concentration. In the Veda-2 shampoo this substance is 0.1% more. Means low toxicity, but still not intended for pregnant women and babies up to 5 years. Veda preparations are classified as inexpensive pediculicidal products.
Find out how much these shampoos are at the pharmacy, and whether they are really effective against various parasites.
It refers to the means of traditional medicine, so there are practically no restrictions. Another advantage of drugs with tar — low cost. However, to achieve a noticeable result, you will have to use it regularly. This feature distinguishes tar shampoos from other products in this category.
We will describe how these agents act on parasites and how they are useful for problematic scalp.
Shampoo Russian-made designed for the destruction of lice, which bred on the head or pubic region. To cope with this task, the drug helps one of the main active ingredients — permethrin. The tool is available in two versions: for adults and separately for children. Each of them is a set of shampoo, hats and combs.
All this is used in the complex as follows:
- Hair plentifully moisten with means, rubbing it in roots of locks. The consumption per procedure depends on the length and density of the hair and is 10–60 ml (the volume of a bottle of shampoo is 100 ml). To distribute the solution will help cotton swab.
- A cap is put on the head that goes in the set.
- After 40 minutes, the mixture is washed with running water. It is allowed to use soap or regular cosmetic shampoo.
- Scallop carefully remove insects and their offspring.
If, after 7 days, live lice or nits are found on the head, the procedure is repeated in the same sequence. Also, the manufacturer recommends a different scheme: the tool is distributed over the cleanly washed hair and leave it to dry. In this case, the shampoo for 2 weeks blocks the reproduction of lice. After each shampoo, DIS is applied again to the curls. This method is relevant for situations where there is a high risk of infection with lice in the team (garden, school, etc.).
By the way. The entire kit costs about 500 rubles. But some consumers say that DIS is difficult to find in pharmacies.
Available in the form of a cream shampoo. In addition to fighting insects on the head, it has a positive effect on the hair structure. The drug makes the strands softer, shiny, prevents them from entangling. All this facilitates further combing of parasites.
Find out from our review article what the Knicks has, and whether it can be used to treat children.
Under this brand comes a whole line of tools. In addition to shampoo, it is conditioner, mousse, gel, oil, as well as a special neon spray. All products of the Argentine brand are made from safe for health components. Due to this shampoo is suitable for all family members who suffer from pediculosis.
The high price of Nit Free is compensated by its weighty advantages. In the detailed review we will tell the duration and effectiveness of treatment with this tool.
Shampoo cream made in Israel is used against head and pubic lice, nits, as well as against ticks and fleas. Due to the presence in the composition of permethrin remedy is contraindicated in children who have not yet turned 2 years old, and pregnant. The rest of carriers of pediculosis manufacturer recommends the following scheme of application:
- Wash your hair, comb the strands.
- Apply shampoo to the hair with massage movements, rubbing it into the roots. For this it is convenient to make a cotton swab.You should not save: hair and skin should be abundantly covered with an agent.
- To tie a head with a kerchief or to put on a hat.
- To sustain the allotted time. At the initial stage of pediculosis, 10 minutes is enough, 40 minutes is recommended for advanced cases.
- After that, rinse your head, rinse with shampoo. If necessary — use the balm.
- Wet the hair with a towel, let them dry slightly in a natural way.
- Comb out dead insects and their larvae.
If, in a week, new parasites are found on the curls, the treatment is repeated. In shampoo NOC 100 ml. It costs about 600-700 rubles, but is rarely available.
Attention! With individual sensitivity to the components of the funds may develop side effects: burning sensation, tingling, numbness.
Medical and prophylactic products against pediculosis are produced in different forms. Finding the best option is not difficult if you familiarize yourself with the assortment in advance. This is especially true in a situation where the lice shampoo does not meet expectations. Most often this can happen for the following reasons:
- improper use of the drug,
- one-time procedure, whereas for the course you need to wash your head several times, maintaining an interval,
- allergy to ingredients that forced to stop using the product.
It also happens that the shampoo did not like the smell in the store, the texture or did not fit due to limitations. In this case there are always other options. For example, sprays or lotions.
They are also optimal for long hair and easy to use, but also have contraindications. We did a review of popular sprays and lotions., to facilitate your search for a simple and reliable means against nits and lice.
Much less often ointments are used to fight insects on the head.. Means in this category successfully cope with their task, destroying bloodsucking parasites, but are not quite suitable for processing medium and long strands.
It is more convenient to use them to combat pubic lice. Learn from our thematic section about the most popular ointments, as well as what recommendations on the use of these drugs give manufacturers.
Another alternative to louse shampoos is folk remedies. There are recipes based on vinegar and alcohol, kerosene and cranberries. Almost all components are quite aggressive for the hair and scalp, but at the same time, merciless against parasites. For this reason, not all products prepared at home are equally safe — including for children. Find in our selection a recipe that will suit you in all respects in order to evaluate the effectiveness of traditional medicine on yourself.
The treatment of pediculosis in children is discussed separately in the following articles:
Nuda is an effective shampoo for pediculosis treatment.
The composition includes Dimethicone, which, like a silicone film, envelops the hair, thereby disrupting the air exchange of the lice, which causes their death. The drug is applied to the entire length of the hair, gently rubbed into the scalp. Aged 45 minutes, then carefully washed off and carried out combing nits.
Means Nuda does not have a detrimental effect on nits, so after 7-10 days it is necessary to repeat the procedure.
Adult Lice Shampoo
Any of the above means can also be used as a louse shampoo for adults, teenagers, children of school age. However, upon reaching the 5-year milestone, the list of pediculicidal agents is more extensive:
- Veda — domestic budgetary drug, the price of which does not exceed 200 rubles. The instructions indicated that the tool is aged for 10 minutes. However, most of those who bought this shampoo say that lice does not occur during such a period of time and it is necessary to leave the drug on the hair for 30-40 minutes.
- Hygia — gel-like shampoo with light notes of citrus aroma. In addition to permethrin, acetic acid is included in the composition; therefore, it is not necessary to prepare an additional acetic solution for rinsing. It is recommended at the end of the procedures to apply on the curls regenerating mask, as the drug provokes a loss of shine and dry hair.
- Tar shampoo is a natural remedy for removing lice in children and adults. The main disadvantages are the characteristic smell of birch tar and a strong drying effect, which is why shampoo is more often recommended for owners of greasy hair. There are undoubted advantages in the tar product: unlike other pediculicidal preparations, it can be used in the presence of wounds, inflammations on the scalp. The tar has healing, soothing properties. Shampoo is used in combination with a solution of vinegar. It destroys the adhesive substance, which nits are attached to the hair and thereby simplifies the process of combing. In the absence of shampoo tar tar can be used.
It is difficult to say which shampoo for lice and nits is better. Each has its pros and cons. One differ in sharp aroma, others in the high price. The only thing that unites all the preparations is the need to comb. The effectiveness of the event largely depends on the last stage of the procedure. Reviews of shampoos confirm this fact. Also, consumers agree that if the instructions are followed, no side effects are observed.
Not spared the problem of head lice and our family. On a routine inspection in school, my son found lice. For the first time faced with parasites, initially did not know what you can poison the lice in children. The pharmacy advised shampoo Nok. Withstood the remedy, as indicated in the instructions for 10 minutes. Lice seemed to be inhibited. I later read the reviews and learned that I had to endure for at least 30 minutes. Finally, it was possible to get rid of insects only after the second treatment.
Bred daughter lice Paranit. I liked the comb, which was included in the set — metal and with frequent teeth. After the procedure, the hair had a subtle characteristic odor. They were able to cope with pediculosis after the first treatment, but just in case, after a week they washed their hair with shampoo again, especially since it remained anyway.
When they were on vacation in the village, the son got infected with lice somewhere. Neighbors vied began to offer different folk methods. They did not stint on the councils and advised infusions of meadow herbs, kerosene masks and even Dichlorvos. We stopped at the most benign — tar shampoo. The procedure was performed every day. It is good that the son has a short haircut, and they would be tortured to comb the parasites. After 5 days, no lice or nits were found. What upset is that the hair has become very dry.
It has the appearance of a thick liquid. The active ingredient is the mineral oil clearol. It envelops every hair, not allowing air to penetrate to it. Insects are dying from choking.
The shampoo is applied on dry strands and held for 10 minutes, after which the composition is washed off, and the curls are combed with a comb to remove dead adults and larvae. After a week, the treatment is repeated.
Based on permethrin. It has low toxicity. Allows you to get rid of pediculosis after the first treatment. It leads to paralysis of parasites and their death. Acts only on adults. The glacial acetic acid in the composition contributes to the splitting of the substance, with the help of which nits are attached to the hair. They are easy to remove using the comb in the package along with the shampoo.
The tool is applied to wet strands, lightly rubbed, left for 20 minutes, then wash off and comb out the nits and lice. A week later, the procedure is repeated. Use the drug can be 2 times in a row, no more.
Shampoo Veda 2
Contains permethrin, leading to paralysis of insects and their death. The composition is applied to the hair, washed with regular shampoo and thoroughly combed. Beat it up to the state of foam, so that it covers all the curls, and leave for 10 minutes. After that, the shampoo is rinsed with running water, rinsed with a solution of vinegar, because the acidic environment weakens the sticky enzyme that holds the nits on the strands. The hair is carefully combed with a frequent comb, and then again washed with regular shampoo. After 7-10 days, the treatment is repeated. If necessary, a third procedure is performed with the same interval.
Effective remedy belonging to the group of pyrethroid insecticides. It has a neurotoxic effect on adult insects and their larvae. The cationic exchange is disturbed in the nerve cells of the parasites, which leads to their death.
The treatment is carried out twice, withstanding the day. Shampoo is applied only to wet hair. When applied, the composition is slightly rubbed, then another portion is applied, after 5 minutes it is washed off and combed out with a crest of larvae and dead insects. If the need arises, the treatment can be repeated in 7-10 days.
NOC Cream Shampoo
The active ingredient of the shampoo is insecticide permethrin. Hair treatment is carried out in a room that is well ventilated. After applying the composition, a plastic cap is put on the head, after 40 minutes it is washed off, the head is washed with regular shampoo.
It is imperative at the end to carefully brush out the dead lice and nits using a frequent comb.
Contains 1% permethrin. Before use, the contents of the bottle are shaken, applied to the washed and towel-dried locks and scalp. After 10 minutes, thoroughly wash off and comb out nits and lice with a frequent comb. Usually one procedure is enough, but if necessary, it can be repeated after a week.
Contact with the shampoo should be avoided. If this happens, it should be removed under running water.
Contains phenotrin, belonging to the group of pyrethroids. The composition is applied, wearing gloves on his hands. Before the procedure, the strands are slightly moisturized, the shampoo is left for 10 minutes, after which the hair is slightly moistened with water and actively foams the drug. After that, it is washed off and combed out the dead parasites with a comb.
What pediculosis shampoos are suitable for children?
For the treatment of children, you can use the following drugs:
- Medyfox — contains permethrin and castor oil, suitable for children from a year.
- Parasidosis — it is kept on the hair for only 5 minutes, which is an undoubted advantage, since children can be naughty during the procedure. Has a comb included.
- Here — Dimethicone, which is the active ingredient, does not belong to poisons, therefore it is safe.
- Paranit — used to get rid of adults, nits drug does not destroy.
- Itaks — acts quickly, allows you to get rid of not only lice, but also from their larvae.
- Hygia — suitable for children over 5 years old. It can not be used for prevention. Shampoo is intended for treatment.