How to deal with a flea on cabbage — ✓ Farmer
How to deal with a flea on cabbage
- 1 How to deal with a flea on cabbage
- 2 Biological description
- 3 Signs of appearance and favorable factors
- 4 Agricultural measures
- 5 Folk recipes
- 6 Chemicals
- 7 How to protect radishes from pests? Photos and descriptions of insects, recommendations for combating them, differences from diseases
- 8 Radish danger
- 9 How to determine exactly what hit the root crop — a disease or insects?
- 10 Harmful insects — description, photo and methods of dealing with them
- 11 Prevention
- 12 How to deal with cruciferous flea on cabbage
- 13 Pest description
- 14 What is the danger?
- 15 Signs of cruciferous flea on cabbage
- 16 Methods of struggle
- 17 Pest prevention on cabbage
Fleas on cabbage are a common occurrence for gardeners. This gluttonous black pest from the detachment of leaf beetles in a short period of time is able to destroy young cruciferous seedlings. Consider how you can deal with the cabbage flea.
Fighting a flea on cabbage
The cruciferous black flea on the cabbage is a small insect no more than 3-4 mm long with a shiny curved back. The beetle is distinguished by good jumping ability provided by thickenings of the femoral parts hind legs.
A black cabbage flea awakens in the ground when spring heat sets in, when the average daily temperature is set at 15 ° C.
Cruciferous flea larvae develop in soil eating plant roots, in most cases weed grow nostyu. The larva turns into an adult individual in 2-4 weeks, pupating by the end of June.They can also hide from cold weather and overwinter in greenhouse designs or in piles with last year’s fallen leaves.
Signs of appearance and favorable factors
Adult small bugs that appeared on cabbage plantings young leaves and stems begin to eat, and their larvae damage the root system of plants. As a result of a massive invasion of cabbage fleas on cabbage, plantings can die in a few days.
You can determine that a black cruciferous flea appeared on the cabbage by changing the appearance of the vegetable crop:
- under the destructive effect of the larvae in the soil on the root system of plants begins to wilt and dry even with heavy watering,
- when adults of the cabbage flea appear, the cabbage foliage is covered with sores, gnawed between the veins, and extensive leaf gnawing.
As a result of severe damage to the cabbage seedlings, the plants dry up and die.
Among the conditions that favor the active propagation of the cabbage flea, hot sunny weather and the absence of rain.
Proper agricultural measures prevent the emergence and propagation of a cruciferous flea on cabbage.
By observing the timing of planting cabbage seedlings, it is possible to avoid a massive damage to the plantings by the pest.So, it is recommended to plant cabbage before and after the main stages of development of the insect. Early varieties of vegetables that are planted in early April and later varieties that are planted in July can avoid pest damage. By the time adults are ready, such plants have time to grow and take root, and their foliage is roughened, which becomes unattractive for the pest.
Adverse conditions attract pests
Timely harvesting of weeds makes it possible to create unsuitable habitats for the pest, breeding and development conditions. Therefore, it is recommended to thoroughly clean the site of plant debris in the fall, after a harvest of vegetables.
Such a measure as abundant watering on hot days can create protection for cabbage plantings against an insect. Cruciferous flea does not like moist environments.
Planting phytoncide plants, which include dill, garlic, coriander, can be measures to prevent the appearance of a pest in the beds. They create a specific odor that repels the pest.
You can protect the cabbage plantations in the fight against the cabbage flea by using covering materials if they cover young seedlings while they are it will not finally take root and will not get stronger.Among such materials are spandbond, lutrasil and other non-woven fiber.
Folk remedies are also effective methods in the fight against cabbage flea, allowing you to quickly get rid of it.
Dusting cabbage plantings with wood ash, tobacco or road dust or red ground pepper makes them unattractive to the insect. Such components work effectively both independently of each other, and in combined mixtures.
It is recommended to dust cabbage plantings or aisles in the morning, when the dew still remains on the plants, or in the evening after watering. The protective property of such products is valid until the first rain.
Spraying with tinctures will help get rid of insects
Among the effective folk methods of combating cruciferous flea on cabbage are self-prepared infusions that are sprayed with seedlings:
- a mixture of tomato tops and chopped garlic, taken in equal proportions and diluted with a ten-liter volume of water with the addition of a small amount of soap for binding,
- tobacco (200g) diluted in 10 liters of water with a small amount of soap,
- wormwood (1 kg) boiled for 20 minutes along with garlic (100g), diluted after being prepared to a volume of 10l,
- diluted in water chicken droppings in a proportion of 1:20, fermented outdoors ,
- vinegar (200g of table solution or 2 large spoons of essence), diluted in 10 liters of water.
methods become ineffective when the defeat of cabbage plantings is large-scale. To treat seedlings so that they are not completely eaten by cruciferous flea, it is necessary already with chemical preparations.
The insecticidal preparation of systemic exposure to insects Bi-58 effectively fights like most pests, including effective against cabbage fleas. The active substance is diluted in 5 or 10 liters.
A universal chemical agent used in the fight against a wide range of insect pests. To increase the effectiveness of its contact-intestinal effect, it is recommended to treat plants at an established temperature of at least 25 ° C.
A chemical preparation intended for seed treatment before planting, capable of to create effective protection for their further cultivation.
Diazinon effectively protects the soil if the surface of the earth is treated with this preparation during the planting of cabbage seedlings.
How to protect radishes from pests? Photos and descriptions of insects, recommendations for combating them, differences from diseases
Many people love radishes and grow them in their backyards. This savory vegetable was loved by its specific taste and fertility.
Gardeners know that radish crops can be harvested several times per season. If you do not pay proper attention to planting, they will be subject to systematic attacks of pests.
If plants are already affected, it is important to know the characteristic symptoms, identify the problem in a timely manner, and understand how to deal with it.
By attacking a plant, pests can destroy the entire crop in just a few days.
The defeat of the tops is especially dangerous — the growth of the root crop stops and the plant dies.
How to determine exactly what hit the root crop — a disease or insects?
If the plant overcomes the disease, it changes its physiological state. Symptoms of various diseases can be:
- the appearance of white oil deposits on stems, leaves, pedicels and testicles;
- spherical growths on root vegetables, which eventually acquire a brown hue and begin to rot;
- black, light yellow or brown spots on radish leaves;
- root crops become covered with brown spots and overgrow with gray down;
- the veins on the leaves or the base of the stem turn black, the leaves turn yellow and begin to fall off.
Pathogens with such manifestations are fungi and viruses.
When attacking a pest culture is usually mechanically damaged. — ulcers and holes in the leaves, holes in the roots. Also, almost always, it is possible to detect the presence of the parasitic insects themselves on any part of the plant.
Harmful insects — description, photo and methods of dealing with them
Further on the photo you can see how some plant eaters look like.
Black bugs moving along the bed of intense jumps, making them easy to spot. The pest infects the leaves of the radish, gnawing fragments and rapidly increasing the affected area. The attacked radish stops growing and dries out.
Especially active cruciferous flea in dry hot weather.
How to deal with a pest than to treat a flea radish, are there any folk remedies against this insect?
To protect the planting from the attack of a flea, you can resort to natural remedies. For the manufacture of the protective composition will be required in equal proportions:
- Tobacco dust.
- Mix the components and sprinkle the resulting composition over the bed once every five to seven days.
With mass destruction and the inevitable need for the use of chemicals use drugs Tod, Alfatsin, Zolon, Kaiser, Arrivo.
The plant is processed according to the instructions. For example, Zolon, a preparation in the form of an emulsion concentrate, is used as follows:
- Spraying is carried out during the growing season.
- The composition is diluted in a ratio of 1.6 ml to 2 liters of water. The resulting solution is enough to handle about three square meters.
- To carry out processing in the morning or in the evening in windless, dry weather.
- The duration of the drug — 15-20 days, pests by 90% die on the third day after spraying.
White butterfly laying its larvae in the soil. Emerging caterpillars move to the leaves and destroy them. For the disinfection of plants need to prepare the composition of the following components:
- Mustard — 2 tablespoons.
- Ground black pepper — 1 tsp.
- Table salt — 2 tablespoons.
- Water — 10 liters.
- All components mix and sprinkle radish once a week.
The moth is a gray-brown color, measuring about two centimeters. Insect larvae can be found on the bottom of the leaves.. The hatched caterpillars feed on the foliage of the radish.
To counter the pest you need to feed the planting superphosphate with calcium chloride.
If a massive destruction of plants has occurred, then for the destruction of pests one will have to resort to chemical treatment with Lepidocide and Bitoxibacillin, remembering that it is forbidden to conduct such treatments during fruit ripening.
- The drug is prepared on the day of use, according to the instructions.
- To prepare the solution, only clean, warm water is used.
- Spraying is carried out in dry weather up to +35 degrees.
This gray-brown fly is not dangerous for a radish, unlike its larvae. They deform the root, gnawing holes in it. Also caterpillars are able to completely destroy the fresh leaves.
Insect does not tolerate naphthalene-based substances., hydrated lime and camphor. It is possible to carry out the treatment of plants with compositions that include one of the listed components.
If the lesion exceeds 15%, Lepidocide and Bitoxibacillin are used.
Butterfly brown color, the larvae which eat the shoots. As a result of such a lesion, the greens can grow, and the fruit does not develop, and so remains a root.
To destroy the pest, you can use the following recipe:
- 500 grams of dried tops.
- 50 grams of rubbed soap.
- 10 liters of water.
- Insist the botany in water in a warm place for four hours.
- Before spraying add soap.
- Handle landing in the evening in dry weather.
If a tool from natural ingredients did not work, you need to use chemical means. Zeta-cypermethrin, IntaVir has proven itself well.
The butterfly is white, the caterpillars of which feed on young leaves and eat away the flesh, leaving only the veins.
You can overcome the pests by collecting them manually and processed planting coniferous concentrate. For this you will need:
- Spruce or pine twigs and cones — 200 grams.
- Hot water — 2 liters.
- Fold the raw material into an enameled container, pour water on it, leave it at room temperature for a week.
- After a fixed time, strain the tool.
- Dilute one part concentrate to ten parts water.
- Spray in the morning every two weeks.
If there is a need for chemical treatment, Fitoverm, Bitoxibacillin and Lepidocid will work well.
Small, brown bugs with oblong calves. Destroy the tender shoots. Adults feed on foliage, and larvae feed on roots. On plants attacked with wireworm, rot and various fungal diseases can develop. Radish rot from the inside.
A good option for escape from the wireworm is to dig in the onion peel in the garden when planting radishes.
At the first symptoms of a lesion, fertilization based on ammonium sulphate may help.
If the plant is attacked en masse, use the drug Basudin. To destroy the wireworm, it is introduced into each well, with a dosage of 1 gram per square meter.
These are filamentous microscopic transparent whitish worms, up to 2 mm long. Their goal is radish juice, they can nest in the root of the fetus, the roots or the stem. Damaged radishes wither and die.
Against nematodes are effective marigolds:
- The plant is completely dried in the open air.
- Half a bucket of crushed marigolds is poured with ten liters of water and drawn for three days.
- In the resulting composition, add 50 grams of soap, filter the solution.
- Spray the plant must be weekly.
Insecticides are used to fight nematodes: Dimethoat, Rogor, Vidat. The use of these preparations makes sense only for young shoots.
Insect, about 8 mm long, yellow-orange in color with two black spots on the back. The shiny body with two pairs of transparent wings, yellow at the base and with a black border at the edges.Rape Sawfly female lays eggs in the second half of May — early June on the lower side of a sheet of radish. Hatching caterpillars eat away numerous holes in the leaves and lead the plant to death.
In the fight against pest will help the infusion of the black henbane. It is necessary to take:
- 500 grams of dry leaves.
- 2 liters of water.
- Insist 12 hours.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve.
- Dilute the resulting composition with eight liters of water, add grated soap and treat the beds.
Of the chemical drugs are effective Dendrobatsillin, entobakterin.
Entobacterin is dissolved in warm water, adhering to the dosage of 10 g per liter of water. Processing is carried out using a spray.
Small black bugs with bright orange stripes feed on radish juice and young shoots dry out. To protect the planting from pests, you can prepare the following solution:
- 500 grams of leaves dope ordinary.
- 10 liters of water.
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped soap.
- Mix components and infuse for 12 hours.
- Spray the tops every five days.
When chemical processing using Phosbecid, Actellik. Preparations are used according to the instructions.
Summer Cabbage Fly
Worm fruits of radish — the result of life of the summer cabbage fly. Malicious insect larvae are difficult to detect — they are whitish, up to 8 mm in length. Destroys the inner part of the stalks, makes moves and moves to the fruit.
Folk remedy in the fight against this insect includes:
- Salt — 200 grams.
- Ten liters of water.
Salt is diluted with water and irrigated beds. After the earth should be sprinkled with ashes.
Effective insecticides in the fight against summer cabbage fly — Karbofos, Zemlin, Rovikurt.
For pests the most attractive weakened shootstherefore, the timely introduction of supplements that strengthen the immune system reduces the risk of disease and parasites.
The following procedures can also be used to prevent the appearance of pests:
- to spray in beds of radish taken in equal proportions wood ash, slaked lime and tobacco dust;
- spray radish decoction of green wormwood;
- spray only the emerged seedlings with a solution of vinegar, prepared at the rate of 1 cup of 9% vinegar per ten liters of water.
To prevent the invasion of pests will also help competent selection of crops, neighbors for radish. Essential compounds found in potatoes, cumin, dill and tomatoes can scare off parasites. Also suitable for decontamination marigolds, nasturtium, mustard and fennel.
At the end of the season you need to clean the plant residues., since it is in them that part of the pests overwinter. Closer to the frost, the ground in the garden must be dug up so that the larvae and adult insects die.
Proper control of the crop, prevention of the appearance of pests and, if necessary, timely measures taken to destroy, will help the gardener to win the fight for a rich harvest of radish.
How to deal with cruciferous flea on cabbage
The appearance of cruciferous flea on cabbage is capable of delivering a lot of trouble to both novice gardeners and hardened aces of this occupation, but it is sometimes quite difficult to get rid of it. The following text will be devoted to the struggle with the cruciferous flea, which has settled on your cabbage.
Cruciflo flea — pest, which got its name from the culture, which predominantly eats, opting for representatives of both the cultural cruciferous (cabbage, radish, colza) and weed cultures (for example, mustard and shepherd’s purse), which is a whole science to fight with.
Did you know? Parasites on cruciferous cultures are not only adult representatives of this species, but also larvae.
Larvae develop and live underground, feeding on the root system of plants. The period for which the larva turns into an adult is about 2-4 weeks.
At the end of July, the larvae pupate and caterpillars appear 6–14 days later, which then turn into mature individuals.
What is the danger?
The process of awakening of pests begins in springtime, when the average daily air temperature begins to approach + 15 ° С.
Small beetles eat up the peel of young leaves and stems of your cabbage, and their developing larvae grind the roots of plants. If there are many fleas that attacked your plant, it can die in just a few days. Even if you managed to save your landings from the already started invasion of flea beetles, the crop will lose its pleasant aesthetic appearance.
In this regard, it is recommended not to wait for the moment when the plants will be attacked by the pest, but immediately after making the landing, take a set of preventive measures, which are described below. The most dangerous are fleas for young, newly planted plants, since they still have an insufficiently well-formed vegetative mass and with a higher probability will not suffer this “attack”.
Signs of cruciferous flea on cabbage
To determine the appearance of cruciferous flea can be on the appearance of plants. First, before the period of emergence of adult individuals, it becomes noticeable that the leaves of the plant wither, even despite its abundant watering. This occurs as a result of the destructive impact of the larvae of the flea on the root.
Did you know? It is still unknown who is a wild relative of the cabbage garden, it is unclear in what place it was first grown as a cultivated plant.
Later, after the appearance of imago, ulcerous gnawing, inter-vein crevices, and even skeletonization of the leaf begin to appear on the leaves of cabbage until the state of the presence of veins alone.
Learn ways to effectively fight against rapeseed flower beetle, ants, flea beetles, cabbage, shchitovki and false guard, leafworm, spider mite, moth.
Methods of struggle
If you are sure that the cruciferous flea has settled on your cabbage, it’s time to take measures to combat its complete destruction. Modern science has developed a wide range of chemicals that can help you in the fight against this pest, but no one forbids you to use folk remedies, many of which show no less effective.
Grandfather’s proven methods include the following activities:
- The easiest way to implement —maintaining a stable wet environment. The effectiveness of this method is due to the fact that the flea is not able to survive in a wet environment. That is why radishes, cabbages and other cruciferous plants are recommended to be planted in wet areas of your garden.
- Pollination of leaves with dry powders. Powder is prepared from wood ash and lime-fluff or tobacco dust in a 1: 1 ratio, and then poured into a gauze bag. You should shake this bag over the affected plants in the morning periods, before the dew comes down.
- You can use the same method of dry pollination, but already the land between rows and using naphthalene or tobacco dust.
- Spraying various decoctions and infusions. For example, steaming ash in boiling water in a ratio of 1: 3, after infusing for several days, add a little soap solution or, say, process 200 g of garlic and 1 cup of tomato leaflets using a food processor, then add the mixture to 10 liters of water of average temperature, after straining, add 1 spoon of liquid soap.
- Haveseedling and seedling cover. Suitable for those who have light covering material available (lutrasil, agrospan, spanbond). Cover them with young seedlings, as a result, the midges simply do not crawl to the desired plants, while air, light and water easily overcome this barrier.
- You can also catch flea with pieces of cloth.which are well impregnated with used automotive oil. To do this, these pieces of fabric should be placed on cardboard sheets placed along the beds. For the greatest efficiency, it is recommended to place traps at a distance of 4 m from one another.
Important! If traditional methods do not give the expected effect, do not over-tighten and proceed to chemical treatment, since every day the probability of losing the crop will only increase.
The best result will certainly be given by spraying your plants with insecticide solutions.
However, it should be remembered that most of these drugs are a threat to human health, so you should observe precautions when working with them. You can use any solution, for example: Aktara, Karbofos, Sherpa, Decis, Arrivo, ECD and many others.
Remember that each of these solutions has individual, different from other methods of preparation and application rates. Therefore, properly read the instructions before processing.
It is best to spray these preparations in the evening, after sunset, because during this period almost all the midges sit on the sheets.
Pest prevention on cabbage
Before you deal with cabbage flax, you can and should try to prevent its occurrence on your site. The first measure to help prevent the occurrence of a flea is to destroy the cruciferous weeds that feed on this insect in the first period after its awakening after hibernation.
Important! In the autumn, it is necessary to dig up your plot, because this insect, like many others, chooses the upper layers of soil for wintering, so after digging it turns out to be on the surface, where it quickly dies when frost occurs.
It is very important to take measures to facilitate the early maturation of young plants. — timely and abundant feeding, watering, regularly conducted loosening of the soil.
It is recommended to plant cruciferous crops near phytoncides — plants that produce chemicals, the smell of which drives off annoying insects.
For cruciferous crops include: dill, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, nasturtium, cumin, coriander, calendula and marigolds.
The main thing to remember is that every day of delay increases the chances that your crop may die, so it is important not to delay the transition from traditional methods of pest control to the use of chemicals.