How to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom?
How to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom?
- 1 How to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom?
- 2 Why do the seams between the tiles darken?
- 3 Clearing the gaps between the tiles on the floor
- 4 Ways of cleaning interlacing seams from contaminants
- 5 Popular ways to fight mold and other contaminants in the joints between
- 6 Tips for the cleanliness of the joints
- 7 How to clean seams between tiles
- 7.1 Table of contents:
- 7.2 Seams between tile — options for grouting
- 7.3 Seams between tiles in the bathroom — cleansing with chemistry
- 7.4 How to clean stitches between tiles folk remedies
- 7.5 How to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom mechanical method
- 7.6 How to clean the seams between the tiles on the floor: important recommendations
- 7.7 Removal of trowel from tile seams
- 8 General rules for the care of intertidal sutures, cleaning with household chemicals and folk remedies
- 9 General rules for the care of intertile stitches
- 10 Moments that should be considered
- 11 Cleaning with household chemicals
- 12 Folk remedies
- 13 Mechanical method
- 14 The way to protect seams from contamination
- Why do the seams between the tiles darken?
- Clearing the gaps between the tiles on the floor
- Ways to clean the interlacing seams from contaminants
- Popular ways to control mold and other contaminants in the joints between the
- tile Tips for the cleanliness of the joints
Tile is the most common coating for walls in the bathroom, kitchen and toilet. This is due to high quality characteristics, long life and incredible beauty, which can be created with the help of such material. The main disadvantage of tile coating is that, over time, the seams between the tiles darken.
Dark seams between tiles are a sign that dust, dirt or a fungus has formed in the gap between the base material. Today we will talk with you about such an urgent problem and learn how to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom.
to the contents ↑
Why do the seams between the tiles darken?
After laying the tile, the appearance is quite attractive. However, time passes and the seams between the tiles begin to darken, then even the most expensive and beautiful work will not please the eye. Darkening of the seams between the base material is a natural process that can not be prevented. Knowing certain rules and tips, you can eliminate this deficiency or reduce it several times.
Natural causes of staining of seams:
- increased humidity in the bathroom;
- the interaction of steam and chemical compounds in soap products evaporates into the air;
- in the kitchen the gap darkens due to drops of fat, food and debris that is inevitable in this part of the house;
- contamination of seams in the hallway is caused by the dust and dirt that we bring from the street on the shoes.
In addition to the above items, darkening of gaps between tiles can occur with unnatural causes associated with improper installation of tiles.
Technological reasons for the color change of the joint between the tiles:
- did not use a special primer during installation, which prevents the appearance of mold and fungus;
- powder for grouting joints was not additionally protected by a special liquid, therefore it quickly gets dirty;
- , before cleaning the gaps, the adhesive residues were not cleaned;
- indoors there is no ventilation or heating system is off;
- does not care for the tiled surface and there is simply dirt stuck between the seams.
In order to solve the problem as rarely as possible, how to clean your seams between the tiles in the bathroom, you need to regularly clean up these surfaces. Even the minimal amount of dust and dirt that formed in the gap between the tiles serves as an excellent breeding ground for the fungus. Especially it concerns working surfaces near a sink, a washstand and in a bathroom.
Important! It is recommended to wipe the surfaces once every few days against soiling and soapy water. It will not take you more than ten minutes, but you will be less likely to encounter the problem of stitching.
to the contents ↑
Clearing the gaps between the tiles on the floor
During cleaning, each landlady pays the main attention to the surface, but do not pay attention to the seams between the tiles. However, this is not entirely correct, since after several such cleaning, you will notice a darkening of the gaps between the tiles and immediately you will have a question, how to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom? Below we give you some tips for each part of the house.
We remove the floor in the bathroom
To clean the dirt and dust on the floor in the bathroom, you will need to use an ordinary soap solution and a toothbrush. Of course, you can use other — chlorine, antibacterial, funds that will allow you to cope with this shortcoming.
Important! If you have mold or fungus on the floor, then you will need to release the seams from the old grout and apply a new one. Preliminary it is necessary to primer all surfaces. With this simple method you will protect your gender from the appearance of this shortcoming and as less as possible will think about how to wipe the seams between the tiles in the bathroom
My seams on the floor in the kitchen
Cleaning the inter-part joints in the bathroom takes much less time and effort than in the kitchen. This is due to the fact that the kitchen is a more aggressive environment than the
bathroom. Here, most often the remains of food fall, spreading soot and fat.
To eliminate dirt in the gaps between the tiles, it is recommended to use a hard-nosed brush and special tools. To do this, you will need chlorine-containing or antibacterial liquids containing special substances. If you do not have it, then the soap solution can also cope with this problem. But you have to act more long and intensely.
We clean in the toilet
If you compare cleaning in the toilet and cleaning the interlacing seams in the bathroom, then you will not have much time and energy to clean the bathroom. This is due to the fact that the least amount of pollution we bring to this part of the house. There is no aggressive environment and we do not spend much time there.
In order to clean the gaps between the tiles in the toilet, you need to have a soapy solution and a sponge. Literally in five minutes you will be able to clean the entire surface that is needed.
Important! After the installation of tiles it is very important to see that the remnants of the glue are removed, since the dirt will appear in this place very quickly, and removing these «spots» will be problematic. In order to eliminate this drawback, you will need to:
- remove the entire grout;
- clean the interlit seams from the old adhesive layer using sandpaper or a special tool;
- re-apply the grout.
Only then you can get rid of the darkening of these places.
to the contents ↑
Ways of cleaning interlacing seams from contaminants
There are several methods for deciding how to clean joints between tiles in a bathroom. It is chemical, folk and mechanical. Let’s take a closer look at each of them.
As it is not difficult to guess by the name of this chapter, the chemical method is to use a product that contains various chemicals. The modern market provides a huge variety of different means to combat this shortcoming. It is enough to go to any hardware store — you will be offered at once 5-6 trademarks in the fight against dirt and mold, which is present in the gaps between ceramic products.
When choosing a product based on chemicals, it is worth paying attention to the environment in which you can apply, and the composition. So:
- For the bathroom, get liquids that contain bleach or bleach.
- For the kitchen — prefer alkaline solution or oxygen bleach.
All these products, regardless of destination, are sold in the form of sprays, powders and liquids.
Important! On sale there is also a special pencil, which is able to repair the shortcomings of the seams. However, in terms of its qualitative characteristics, it does not occupy a high position, since it is not able to cope even with an average degree of contamination. It is more used to eliminate small specks, rather than for mold and fungus.
Mechanical methods include abrasive substances and powders, which need to clean interliter seams in the bathroom. To perform this action, you will need a piece of sandpaper or a flexible polishing wheel. With the help of these two tools, you can clean the gap by removing the layer of grout, which is affected by the mold or fungus.
Popular ways to fight mold and other contaminants in the joints between
tile Let’s look at a few options that have proved to be the best improvised tools in fighting mold and polluting tile clearances.
Using soda and hydrogen peroxide
The first way is to use soda and hydrogen peroxide. To perform this action, you need:
- Take 50 ml of hydroperite, ¾ cup of ordinary baking soda.
- All this mixed with one tablespoon of any dishwashing detergent.
- Apply on the gaps between the tiles with a brush. You can not even rub it.
- Leaving this remedy for 15 minutes.
- After that, having cleared it, you will see that all the seams have become snow-white.
Mixture of vinegar and soda
The second method involves the use of soda, vinegar and water in two stages:
- In the first stage, you need to mix three parts of soda and one part of the water. After that, you apply with the help of a brush with a rigid nap this means on the gaps between ceramic products.
- In the second step, you mix vinegar with water in equal parts, pour into a spray gun and spray onto the first layer. Leave for 10-15 minutes. At the end of this time you will see that soda and vinegar have done their work and cleared all the gaps.
Citric acid and soda
To create this folk remedy, you will need:
- 200 ml of water;
- ⅓ a glass of lemon ordinary acid;
- 100 ml of vinegar;
- ½ cup of baking soda.
To clean the interlacing seams in the bathroom, mix all these ingredients, rub into the gaps and leave for 20-30 minutes. After that, simply wipe the place with acid with water.
Important! This tool perfectly copes with dirt, soap divorce and rust.
to the contents ↑
Tips for the cleanliness of the joints
In order to think as little as possible about how to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom, you must follow certain rules and advice. Despite the fact that the tile material is the most durable, reliable and durable, it is worthwhile to look after it regularly and do not forget about the gaps between the elements of monolithic coating.
- If your tile covering has a glossy texture, then you should abandon various abrasive substances, brushes with a metal or hard pile.
- Some acid-containing substances adversely affect ceramic products. That’s why you first need to try the product on an invisible site, and only then apply to the entire surface of the
- . Wash the tile is specially designed means that eliminate dust, dirt, limescale and mold of a small degree.
- For the care of matte surfaces made of ceramics it is worthwhile to acquire special gel-like agents that favorably influence the surface, while giving it greater shine.
Adhering to our advice and knowing how to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom, your ceramic surface will always shine and have perfect purity! Accordingly — is in the kitchen or bath will be much nicer, and the feeling of comfort in your home — stable.
How to clean seams between tiles
Laying of the tile is completed by smoothing the seams, which have an attractive appearance and give the whole surface a finish. But, alas, after some time between the joints of the tile dirt begins to accumulate, and with constant exposure to moisture, mold also multiplies. To avoid this problem, you should periodically clean the […]
Laying of the tile is completed by smoothing the seams, which have an attractive appearance and give the whole surface a finish. But, alas, after some time between the joints of the tile dirt begins to accumulate, and with constant exposure to moisture, mold also multiplies. To avoid this problem, you should periodically clean the joints of the tile, about what to clean the seams between the tiles will be considered further.
Table of contents:
- Seams between tile — options for grouting
- Seams between tiles in the bathroom — cleansing with chemistry
- How to clean stitches between tiles folk remedies
- How to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom mechanical method
- How to clean the seams between the tiles on the floor: important recommendations
- Removal of trowel from tile seams
Seams between tile — options for grouting
Before moving on to the immediate issue of cleaning joints between tiles, first of all you should study the materials that are used in the process of trowelling.
All the formulations that are used during the grouting are divided into two main types:
1. Mixtures having a cement base.
They appear in the form of powdered filler, for the dilution of which water or latex is used. Inexperienced specialists work with mixtures in which Portland cement substances are located. Such a grout is quite flexible and easy to work with. In addition, it easily fills the narrowest seams.
A respirator and safety goggles are used for breeding this type of mixture. Since there is a risk of contact with the eyes or the appearance of allergies.
There are mixtures on a cement base in ready-to-eat form. This material is also convenient for work, only its cost is an order of magnitude higher. Therefore, it is almost not common in the construction industry.
When mixing the mixture by itself, it is recommended that all instructions specified by the manufacturer be followed exactly. If this is not done, then too liquid solution, after drying, will spread and form cracks. The use of too thick a solution is fraught with the fact that the mass is not able to fill all butt areas, so the tile is broken between the tiles.
2. Grout, which is based on the use of epoxy resin.
This mixture has the highest strength and adhesion properties, in addition, the percentage of its moisture absorption is almost zero. It is used in the process of grouting between tiles, installed on the surface of the pool, in the bathroom, baths, on the facade parts of the building, in premises with high performance characteristics.
The use of this grout requires a person who performs the work of extreme caution and scrupulousness. Since special efforts are required to remove excess material, there is a risk of damage to the tile itself.
In the composition of the grout there is an epoxy resin and a special hardener, which fixes it on the surface. It is sold in a different package and mixed with the basic compounds before commencing work. The finished mass is not intended for long-term storage.
Seams between tiles in the bathroom — cleansing with chemistry
Before turning to the consideration of the means by which the tiles are cleaned, a few words should be said about the rules for caring for it. If you do not adhere to them, then the tile will serve its owners for a short period of time and lose its appearance.
Despite the fact that ceramic tiles are characterized by high strength and resistance to various kinds of influences, there are a number of rules for its operation:
- To clean the tiles with a glossy surface, do not use abrasive cleaners or a metal brush, even if there are minor scratches, the original gloss is lost;
- chemical compounds based on the use of acid can easily damage the seams between the tiles on the floor;
- to improve the strength of seams, it is recommended to use epoxy-based paint, it allows improving their counteraction before the wet environment;
- in the process of washing the tiles should rely exclusively on specialized means that are designed for cleaning ceramic tiles, the use of other types of equipment is unacceptable;
- Do not use cleaning agents in the composition of which there is pumice, sand, solvents of fats in the form of soap;
- if there is a need to remove all kinds of contaminants, then for this purpose use a brush with a soft bristle, which is not able to remove the coating on the tile;
- for washing matte tiles, use specially designed emulsions, after washing, it is covered with a wax mastic, which makes its color more expressive.
To purchase the means by which you can clean the seams between the tiles, it is enough to contact any store of economic purpose. There is a huge amount of cleaning products designed for cleaning tiles and seams between them.
Chemicals are characterized by such advantages:
- the possibility of removing mineral deposits;
- effective control of an unpleasant odor;
- protection from harmful micro-organisms, bacteria and microbes;
- The use of aromatic additives fills the room with a pleasant smell.
Take into account that each type of tile has its own characteristics, which determines the type of cleaning agent used in the process of washing it. Before using any formulations, you should read the instructions from the manufacturer.
For example, if you use a solution for washing ceramic tiles in which chalk is present, but on the surface there will be a divorce, which is very difficult to get rid of.
Do not use chemicals immediately. First try to get rid of dirt, a soft brush and water. If the desired effect could not be achieved, then resort to more radical ways.
An excellent tool in this matter is the powder mixture «Pemolux». To apply it, you should use the same brush, which is wetted first in water, and then in a powder. In this case, it is better to wear rubber gloves. After applying the compound, it is recommended to wait about ten minutes, and then all the seams are cleaned by brushing.
Then the powder is gradually washed off and the surface is once again brushed. If the desired effect is not achieved, the procedure is repeated.
The application of this method is relevant in the event that the tile has small impurities.
How to clean stitches between tiles folk remedies
If the tile is too dirty, then it is recommended to resort to the use of soda, for this, you will need to perform a number of actions:
- moisten the surface of the tile;
- apply soda with a sponge;
- wipe the surface of the tile, to get rid of dirt;
- Do not apply too much pressure to the surface, as there is a risk of tile damage.
Chlorine lime helps to make the tile and seams between it white and radiant:
- dilute lime with water until a liquid mass is obtained;
- Using a spray gun, apply the solution to the surface;
- after seven minutes, wipe the tile with a damp cloth.
Tip: use a mask when performing this cleaning method, since there is a risk of an unpleasant smell. Although the positive point of this cleaning is the fact that between the sutures, all mold and pathogenic bacteria are destroyed.
Coping with persistent contaminants between the tile seams will help the use of acetic acid. To clean the joint between tiles, follow the instructions:
- apply vinegar essence, using a spray gun;
- with a brush, distribute the vinegar on the surface of the seam;
- after 7 minutes, rinse the vinegar with a damp cloth.
Note that acetic acid is not used in its pure form. It is diluted in a ratio of 1.5 tablespoons per 500 ml of water. It is recommended to use this method first, before applying chlorine lime, since cleaning with vinegar is more gentle and harmless both for tiles and for the skin of the hands of the person performing the cleaning.
Another popular method of cleaning joints between tiles is citric acid. To do this, perform the following actions:
- take a sponge and soak it with water;
- gently squeeze the sponge and dab it into citric acid;
- after 3 minutes, wash the solution off the surface.
The width of the seams between the tiles does not affect the use of this or that method of treatment. In addition, one should take into account the fact that after applying any of the above cleaning methods, it is necessary to wash off the solution and wipe the tile dry.
Another popular way of cleaning tiles involves a combination of the above methods. To prepare the solution, mix in a metal container:
- 3 cups of water;
- 0.25 cups of soda;
- 0,15 of acetic essence;
- 0.15 citric acid.
To work with the cleaner, be sure to wear gloves. This substance is quite aggressive, so you need to work with it quickly. For cleaning, use a toothbrush or sponge.
Apply the compound to all the seams and wait ten minutes. With clean water, wash the contents off the surface. Preferably, the procedure is done at least twice. With the help of this solution, it is easy to get rid of even the most difficult contaminants.
How to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom mechanical method
To use this method of cleaning, you do not need to go to the store for chemical means or prepare mixtures based on folk recipes.
It is enough to have sandpaper at home. It is with its help that the joints are cleaned. Only special attention should be paid to the tile, it is unacceptable to scratch it with paper, since there is a risk of damage to the appearance of the coating. This option is fast and easy to perform.
After cleaning all the seams, they are treated with water, and then the tile is wiped dry.
In addition to sandpaper used toothbrush, sponge, scraper for dishes. This option is suitable for a small type of contamination. In addition, as an addition to this method, it is recommended to apply a detergent on the tile.
In response to the question of how to clean the seams between tiles without the use of chemical and folk remedies, the best option would be to use a sponge based on melamine foam. This material is strong, but at the same time soft. It will easily penetrate any pores, remove all stains and dirt without the use of chemicals.
To apply a melamine sponge, only water is required, while the less effort is applied to wash, the higher the effectiveness of the process. This sponge helps to wash not only the seams between the tiles, but also copes well with the cleaning of plumbing fixtures, sinks, bathtubs, mirrors, etc.
How to clean the seams between the tiles on the floor: important recommendations
We offer you to get acquainted with practical advice that will help make the cleaning process easier and safer:
- when cleaning seams between tiles, be sure to use gloves;
- An excellent means for cleaning the seam between the tiles and for washing the tile itself is a chemical substance that is washed by glass or mirrors;
- The washing process always starts from the bottom, and the procedure for cleaning and wiping the tiles — with the top;
- to bleach the seams between the tiles, the use of hydrogen peroxide, which is applied directly to their surface without further washing off, is perfect;
- When the polished tile is cleaned, it is required to apply a special mastic on its surface, and to improve the glossy glossy tile, a vinegar solution is used.
Removal of trowel from tile seams
If all of the above methods of cleaning the surface between the seams of tiles did not help, then we should resort to more radical methods. If after a while after cleaning the grout still darkened, then on its surface settled mushroom-shaped bacteria. Their main feature is the presence of characteristic dark spots on the surface of the joints.
To paint these places using a special covering marker. It is with his help that the problem areas are hidden.
In addition, there are a number of tools designed to update the seams. To buy them you should contact a specialized store. In the presence of a more serious kind of contamination, which lead to the crumbling of the grout during the washing, you should resort to the opening of this material.
For this purpose, it is recommended to use a grinder or a grinder.
Tip: Before you start working, you should remove furniture and other items from the room, since a lot of dust will be released during the opening process.
The procedure is carried out with special care, to avoid damage to the tile itself. After the first pass, all joints are wiped with a damp cloth, and then the procedure is repeated again. If sandpaper did not manage to remove certain areas, sandpaper should be used. Further, the joints are treated with a solvent and a primer. A new grout is applied to the surface.
In specialized stores there are tools that are designed to protect joints between tiles. To carry out the procedure for their application, it takes quite a lot of time and effort. Therefore, these funds are used very rarely. After all the seams have dried, they are treated with a protective compound. For these purposes a small brush is used. It is not recommended to apply the solution to the tile, as it destroys its integrity. If the mixture comes into contact, wipe it off immediately with a cloth.
To ensure that you do not need to remove the grout completely, you should ensure proper maintenance of the tile. Once a month, you should wipe the seams with a stiff brush and warm water. Thus, it will be possible to preserve the pristine nature of their appearance for many years to come.
General rules for the care of intertidal sutures, cleaning with household chemicals and folk remedies
Sooner or later, each owner decides to clean the seams between the tiles in the bathroom, because in these places most of all different kinds of bacteria and dirt accumulate. Most often, the appearance of materials for grinding spoil the fungus and mold, which quickly multiply in rooms with high humidity and harm the health of residents. To cope with the problem, use special tools or what is at hand.
General rules for the care of intertile stitches
The trowelling material has a large number of micropores in its structure. Getting dirt and dust in them can be quite difficult. Therefore, no matter how good and good the owners look after the tile in the bathroom, eventually you have to clean the seams between the tiles around the perimeter of the bathroom. To extend the life of the trowel and maintain a presentable appearance, follow the tips for grooming:
- after taking a bath or shower, wipe the walls and floor with a dry cloth;
- Once a week, conduct surface treatment of tiles with disinfectants;
- if a small amount of fungal attack is found or the mold is born, it is necessary to remove the bacteria using a cutter or brush;
- in hard-to-reach areas, a spray gun should be used to apply detergents or disinfectants;
- if a deep penetration of bacteria into the seam is detected, the trowelling material on the affected area should be cleaned and filled again;
- It is necessary to refrain from using tools with abrasive particles, as they destroy the surface of the tile;
- To protect the floor tiles from dirt and moisture, you must put a special mat for the bathroom.
To clean the seams between the tiles and give them a presentable appearance, it is necessary to understand what means to process the surface, than to clean the space between the tile and how to protect the trowelling from the formation of fungus or mold.
Moments that should be considered
Also, before you start cleaning, you should take into account the type of tiles laid, which largely determines the choice of cleaning agent.
- For example, a tile with a glazed surface can not withstand any xylitol-containing substances. Because of them, the surface becomes duller, and this change is difficult to fix;
- With matt tiles after cleaning, proceed as follows: thoroughly wash the surface and cover with a special protective mastic;
- The mosaic is quite resistant to any external influence, not counting the means with high acidity and alkalinity.
Cleaning with household chemicals
Several types of home chemistry are well suited for cleaning intertice joints. However, it should be remembered that for black or colored trowels, solutions that contain bleaching substances should not be used. After their use, fading may occur, the grout will become faded. In different places shades will be different.
To remove limescale deposits, stains from aged fat or mud contamination, treat all seams and tiles with such detergents as Fairy or Cilit. When the cleaning of the surface has passed, and any stains have remained and still there is no cleanliness to a sufficient degree, it means that a fungus or mold appeared. For elimination, antiseptic agents must be used.
Restore the whiteness of the seams can be an oxygen-containing cleaner. It should be mixed with water in equal parts and applied to contaminated areas with a sponge. Leave for 30 minutes or 1 hour for deeper penetration. Then, by lightly pressing the brush or foam rubber, remove the dirt and rinse with water.
With a fungus and moldiness, the products containing chlorine, such as ordinary Whiteness or Domestos, work well enough. Foam or a brush, it is necessary to smear all the joints and allow the substance to soak for 5-10 minutes. Such funds emit corrosive and toxic substances for the human respiratory tract, it is necessary to protect the nose, mouth and eyes during work.
In the end, you should thoroughly wash the surface with water and wipe with a dry cloth. Chlorine-containing substances penetrate deeply into the trowelling material and do not completely erode for a long time. In this regard, it is undesirable to use such drugs for people with allergic reactions.
One of the most good means by which you can clean the seams between the tile from the fungal deposit and moldy, is a special marker. The device contains ink with fungicides. The marker is safe for humans, it does not have any smell, has bleaching properties and creates a water-repellent film on the surface.
A good antiseptic effect is the steam cleaner. It can cope with deep contaminants, remove fungus and mold. First, the surface is treated with a detergent, then steam is applied. This promotes deep penetration of the antiseptic and eliminates live microorganisms.
In addition to chemistry, people can remedy the seams between the tiles in the bathroom. One of the simplest recipes is sostov, consisting of baking soda with lemon juice and vinegar. The following proportions are used:
- 1/2 cup of soda;
- 1/3 of the juice, which turned out when using one lemon;
- 1/4 cup 9% vinegar.
All components are dissolved in 1.5 glasses of water at room temperature. Prepared at home, the product will help to lighten the darkened grout. To do this, using an old toothbrush or a hard sponge, the mixture is rubbed into the seams and left for 15-20 minutes. After the time has elapsed, the surface is thoroughly rinsed with water.
Ammonia alcohol not only kills microorganisms, but also returns to the tile the former shine. To do this you need:
- 1 tbsp. dissolve alcohol in 2 liters of water;
- spray the product on the grout and the surface of the tile;
- leave for 20 minutes;
- Remove residual dirt with a damp cloth, paying special attention to the joints of the tile.
Clean the joints between the tiles from mold and fungus with acetic acid. For the procedure to be most effective, 70% of the essence should be used. It is applied to the surface with a spray gun, and the seams are further processed with a brush. So the acid penetrates as deeply as possible and eliminates microorganisms even in the smallest pores. Vinegar is left for 10 minutes, and then thoroughly rinsed with water.
The acid is dissolved in pure water. To do this, take the following proportions:
- 1.5 tbsp. essences;
- 0.5 liters of water.
The solution helps to remove contaminants.
The easiest way is to clean the sandpaper. It must be folded in such a way that it penetrates only into the seam without touching the surface of the tile. Abrasive materials destroy the glaze of tiles. After cleaning all joints with a brush, dust is removed and the surface is washed with water.
When it is not possible to clean the seams by either household chemicals or folk remedies, one should resort to a mechanical method. It is used when the mold penetrates deep enough or there are old dirt on the tile.
If the dirt is minor, to clean the seams of the tile, use a stiff toothbrush or a metal scraper for the dishes. And to remove dirt more efficiently, a solution of detergent and water is applied to the trowel.
It removes easily the plaque, dirt and mold melamine sponge. It is strong enough, but soft at the same time. This allows you to penetrate into small depressions and scrape off the plaque. To use, simply moisten the product with water.
The most radical way is to remove the old trowelling material with a special knife. This method is suitable in the case when the fungus and dirt spread over a too large area and are deeply ingested. Trying to clean the seams in this case is not advisable.
The way to protect seams from contamination
After cleaning the tile joints, protect the trowel from moisture and dirt. For this, there are special latex formulations. They are applied to the joints, thereby filling the pores and covering with a water-repellent layer. This method must be applied immediately after repair in the bathroom. This will allow you to forget about cleaning the seams for a long time.
Manufacturers of such formulations recommend protecting the surface of tiles from getting into the substance. Therefore, the tile should be pasted around the perimeter with a paint tape.