Repel Cockroaches Naturally Using These Ingredients At Home, theAsianparent
10 safe and natural ways to get rid of annoying cockroaches at home
- 1 10 safe and natural ways to get rid of annoying cockroaches at home
- 2 Want to get rid of those critters without harming your family’s health?
- 3 Repel Cockroaches Naturally with Ingredients Found in Your Kitchen!
- 4 How To Prevent Cockroaches from Coming Back
- 5 20 Easy and Effective Ways to Use Home Remedies for Roaches that Get Rid of Roaches Fast
- 6 What Causes Roaches?
- 7 Signs of Cockroach Infestation
- 8 How to Get Rid of Roaches Naturally
- 9 How to Get Rid of Cockroaches Fast & Naturally? (Kill Cockroaches)
- 10 Top Remedies to Get Rid of Cockroaches Fast and Naturally:
- 10.1 1.) Use The Bay Leaf Cockroach Repellent
- 10.2 2.) Borax And Sugar Sugar Bait
- 10.3 3.) Use The Fabric Softener Spray
- 10.4 4.) Baking Soda and Sugar Bait
- 10.5 5.) Make A Coffee Water Jar Trap
- 10.6 6.) Ammonia-Water Solution
- 10.7 7.) Soda Bottle Traps For Roaches
- 10.8 8.) Use The Catnip Repellent
- 10.9 9.) Make a Cucumber Trap
- 10.10 10.) Use The Cayenne Pepper
- 10.11 11.) Make a Sticky Trap
- 10.12 12.) Boric Acid to Kill Roaches
- 10.13 13.) Take The Help From Garlic
- 10.14 14.) Take Help From Mint
- 10.15 15.) Ice Cream Trap
- 10.16 16.) Petroleum Jelly Trap
- 10.17 17.) Make Use of Lemon
- 10.18 18.) Using Listerine as Repellent
- 10.19 19.) Essential Oils Will Help
- 10.20 20.) Pinesol And Bleach Solution
- 11 Other Useful Methods to Get Rid of Cockroaches In Your Home, Car or an Apartment
- 11.1 Method ‘A’: Get Rid of Roaches Permanently and Naturally (Fastest Method)
- 11.2 Method ‘B’: Get Rid of Roaches Fast and Permanently
- 11.3 Other Ways to Get Rid of Roaches Permanently (Naturally and Fast)
- 11.4 How to Cut off Food Supply to Get Rid of Roaches?
- 11.5 Tips to Eliminate Hiding Places of Roaches:
- 11.6 Other Useful Tips to Get Rid of Roaches:
Want to get rid of those critters without harming your family’s health?
With the warm, moist environment that comes with living in the tropics, also comes an army of bugs вЂ” cockroaches included.В So we zap those pesky bugs with anything we can find, usually insecticides. We certainly don’t want roaches crawling around our homes. But at the same time, do we really want to expose our kids to the poison of insecticides? Here are some clever ways to repel cockroaches naturally.
Repel Cockroaches Naturally with Ingredients Found in Your Kitchen!
There are some ingredients in your kitchen that can be used to trap, repel, and kill those pesky critters at your home. All you need to do is to mix them up and place it where cockroaches usually hide.
1. Essential Oils
Did you know that cockroaches hate the smell of peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree oils? That is because it disrupts and masks the scent trails which cockroaches use to hunt for their food. Roaches die when they are exposed to higher concentrations of essential oils, particularly peppermint oil.
Use essential oils to repel cockroaches naturally by putting a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball, and wiping down places where cockroaches usually hide or enter your home.
You can also make a spray by mixing 15 drops of peppermint oil and 10 ounces of water in a spray bottle. Mix thoroughly and spray in possible entry points and dark areas.
Peppermint oil can be use as a home remedy to repel cockroaches naturally | Image source: Pixabay
Borax is an effective natural cleaner and a safer alternative to many conventional cleaners. It contains boric acid that when ingested by cockroaches, destroys the cellular lining of their guts.В
To kill roaches with borax, mix two tablespoons of borax and two cups of sugar in a litre of water and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. You may add two to three drops of peppermint oil in the mixture too. Mix thoroughly and spray in suspected areas. You can also use it to repel ants too!
Mix borax with sugar in a litre of water to make a borax solution spray. | Image source: YouTube
3. Diatomaceous Earth
This is a non-toxic substance that can be use to kill and repel cockroaches naturally. When the roach comes in contact with this substance through ingestion, its body dries out, killing it eventually.
To use this effectively, mix diatomaceous earth with some sugar to attract cockroaches. Sprinkle a thin layer of it around the entryways of your home or anywhere you think roaches hide. Make sure you re-apply this remedy daily as it tends to absorb moisture from the atmosphere.
Diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic substance that can be use as a natural insecticide. | Image source: Shutterstock
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a leavening agent used in baking cakes and can also be use as an effective home cleaning remedy.
It can also kill roaches. Just mix one part baking soda with one part of sugar. The sugar attracts the roaches and the baking soda kills them. Place the mixture in small bowls or jar lids or sprinkle it in corners and baseboards.
Mix baking soda with sugar and sprinkle in corners and dark areas. | Image source: Shutterstock
5. Petroleum Jelly
You can make traps using petroleum jelly by adding sugar in the jelly and smearing it on pieces of cardboard.
Place these traps where roaches normally hide. They get attracted to the sugar and stuck to the petroleum jelly. But make sure to keep this cockroach trap out of children and pets’ reach.
Sample of cockroach trap using petroleum jelly and sugar mixture | Image source: Pinterest
Catnip has been widely used as a natural insect repellent for centuries. It contains Nepetalactone, an active chemical that repels insects without harming humans and pets. It is one of the most effective remedy to repel cockroaches naturally.
To use this, boil catnip leaves for 10 minutes and let it cool before transferring the mixture to a spray bottle. Spray it around the house.
You can plant catnip in your garden or buy catnip leaves in grocery stores. | Image source: Flickr
Neem is also known for its natural insect repellant properties aside from being used as a traditional medicine in India and other South Asian countries.
Similar to catnip, boil neem leaves for 10 minutes and let it cool. Use a spray bottle to spray the mixture in areas where roaches and insects roam.
Neem trees are abundant in Southern Asian countries like India and Sri Lanka and are known for its medicinal properties. | Image source: Flickr
8. Chrysanthemum Flowers
Chrysanthemum contains Pyrethrins, a chemical compound that attacks the nervous system of insects when in direct contact.
Use dried chrysanthemum flower heads to repel cockroaches naturally by crushing them into powder and mixing two tablespoons of the powder in a litre of hot water.
Put a pinch of detergent powder into the mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture in a spray bottle and spray around possible infested areas.
Who would have thought these lovely chrysanthemum flowers could be a natural cockroach repellent? | Image source: Pixabay
9. Bay Leaf
Bay leaf enhances the flavour and aroma of our cooked dishes but cockroaches and other insects hate the smell. Crush some bay leaves and place in corners and dark areas.В
The aroma of bay leaf smells unpleasant to cockroaches. | Image source: Pixabay
10. Silica Gels
Silica Gels or Desiccants are commonly seen as beads in a small paper packet that control the humidity of goods to avoid spoilage. They absorb moisture and dry out anything that comes in direct contact. When roaches come in contact with the substance, the gel dries out their body, killing them eventually.
You can use desiccants effectively by mixing the beads with sugar and sprinkling the mixture around the house, away from children and pets.
Desiccants can be an effective cockroach killer too! | Image source: Pixabay
How To Prevent Cockroaches from Coming Back
Relying only on natural insecticides is not the solution to a cockroach infestation in your home. Roaches love warm, humid places where they can find food and breed. And prevention is key to ensure roaches stay away for good.
When you see one or two roaches freely roaming in your home, you shouldn’t take it lightly. It probably means there are many others running about in hidden corners of your home.
Cockroaches can transmit bacteria and spread diseases to your family. Here are tips to prevent them from coming back to your home:
- Keep your house clean. Clean the dishes straight away after meals and clean up spills and crumbs to limit food for cockroaches. Sweep the floor and mop it regularly to disrupt scent trails of food.
- Take out the trash regularly and keep the trash bins closed at all times. Cockroaches often lurk in places where they can find food, and our garbage is one of their favourite spots.В
- Store food in tightly-sealed containers. This will prevent cockroaches and other insects from contaminating your food.
- Cover all the cracks and crevices around your house. You can use paint or cement to block entry points of insects to your house.
- Cover your windows with mesh screens. Mesh screens keep the insects out while allowing fresh air to come inside your house.
Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!
20 Easy and Effective Ways to Use Home Remedies for Roaches that Get Rid of Roaches Fast
Last Updated on October 25th, 2019
If your home has suddenly become a haven for these stubborn household pests using home remedies for roaches will help you eliminate and prevent cockroaches all together. Not only are home remedies effective, they are guaranteed to get rid of roaches fast and without the use of an exterminator. Using they will prevent harsh chemicals from entering your home while at the same time freeing your home from cockroaches.
What Causes Roaches?
Cockroaches can affect any household anywhere in the world. In fact there are over 1 million households that are infested with these pests. No matter where you are in the world, if your home environment has the right elements that allow cockroaches to thrive, then you are bound to see one of the four types of cockroaches making their way into your home.
The four types of cockroaches are:
American Cockroach- The American Cockroach can grow up to two inches in size. They have a unique color in comparison to other cockroach species as they are a reddish-brown, amber color. They also have two large dark spots on their shoulders and they are the shiniest of the roach species.
German Cockroach- German cockroaches are about ½ an inch in size and have two dark stripes down their back. German cockroaches thrive in wet or moist areas such as a damp basement or bathroom. These cockroaches are always seen in quite high numbers.
Oriental Cockroach- Oriental cockroaches are about one inch in length and the females are slightly larger than the males. This species of cockroach are a deep brown, nearly black color and they cannot fly. Many times Oriental cockroaches are found in pipes and drains and give off a musty odor due to the pheromones used to communicate with each other.
Brown Banded Cockroach- The Brown Banded Cockroach is about 5/8 an inch in length and has two bands that are the defining characteristic of this species. The bands are actually yellow in color despite their namesake and are located on the mid-abdomen and bottom of the abdomen.
Regardless of the type of cockroach you have spotted in your home, the underlying causes are the same. Cockroaches can be caused by several different factors and when they are combined they create a perfect environment for the cockroach to thrive.
Cockroaches are attracted by several things which include:
Food-Having access to a reliable food source is what drives cockroaches to a certain area. Trash cans, crumbs, unsealed food containers, or simply leaving food out in the open can attract cockroaches.
Lack of Predators- When there are no predators (humans, cats, or other animals) to keep them at bay, cockroaches will make a nest in that space due to the safety. This is why cockroaches are often found in basements, garages, or attics.
Access to a Water Source- Cockroaches cannot live without access to water. This can be as simple as a leaky pipe or a small puddle of stagnant water, and even a pet’s water bowl. They do not need much water so if there are even a few drops, cockroaches will take advantage of that water source.
Dark Areas- Cockroaches are usually nocturnal and prefer to live in dark places.
Keeping an Untidy Home- The accumulation of dirt, dust, and crumbs make for a perfect living environment for cockroaches. The more clutter you have, the more places that cockroaches have to make a nest.
Signs of Cockroach Infestation
No matter the species of cockroaches that are in your home, there are several similar signs that will indicate that there is a nest or infestation. The signs and symptoms you should look for when trying to identify cockroaches are:
Fecal Droppings— Roaches will travel around your home and they will leave behind their droppings. The size of the faeces will vary depending on the size of the cockroach. However, despite the size of the roaches, the faeces will be black in color and resemble coffee grounds or ground black pepper. If you begin to see several fecal droppings in one or more areas of the home, there will definitely be a nest nearby.
Egg Casings- Cockroaches reproduce by forming what is called an ‘ootheca’, commonly known as an egg casing that holds several eggs. You will be able to spot unhatched eggs, or just the empty egg casings that have been left behind which are clear indicators that you have a roach infestation. The ootheca’s can be visually identified by their brownish color and long shape.
Odor- Although one or two cockroaches will not give off an odor, when there is an infestation, you will begin to notice a strong, musty odor. This is due to the pheromones the cockroaches use to communicate. If you are able to smell cockroaches, the infestation has gotten to a severe point as there will be a high population of adult cockroaches.
Dead Roaches- While cockroaches are nearly strictly nocturnal with movement happening mostly during the evening, any cockroaches that are dying and weak will no longer be able to move quickly and they can be found dead in the morning. Often times you will find dead roaches under a sink, behind a fridge, or somewhere similar. If you are finding dead cockroaches, this means a full life cycle is being completed and there is most definitely an infestation.
Spotting Roaches During the Day-As previously stated, cockroaches are nearly strictly nocturnal creatures. However, if you spotting live cockroaches during the day, this indicates that the nest has become over populated and they are being forced to find another place to set up their home. Spotting cockroaches during the day is a definite sign that their numbers are great and a severe infestation is occurring.
Keeping a close eye in any damp and dark areas of your home that are ideal places for roaches to nest or feed will help you indicate if there is an infestation or not. Usually there will be more than one sign exhibited, but it depends on the amount of cockroaches that are present in your home.
How to Get Rid of Roaches Naturally
Noticing the signs of cockroaches does not mean you should panic. Cockroaches affect nearly 1 in 5 households and are very common. That being said, there are several herbal remedies that will stop them in their tracks and even prevent reinfestation. In fact, these remedies work so well that you can get rid of any roaches present without an exterminator.
1. Placing Fresh Garlic Cloves in the Affected Area
Garlic cloves have a strong odor that repels roaches almost instantly. Cockroaches cannot stand the smell and will leave the area right away.
How to Get Rid of Cockroaches Fast & Naturally? (Kill Cockroaches)
After writing how to get rid of ants?, how to get rid of fruit flies?, and how to get rid of bed bugs?, its time to tell the remedies to get rid of cockroaches fast and naturally. Roaches are insects, which are dangerous to humans by nature. They are one of the primary conveyors of harmful microorganisms to our food and other things. They tend to contaminate different items of our daily use. The harmful microbes carried by the roaches are contained in their saliva, and they spread their saliva over anything they can come in contact with, thus infesting that thing. It is most important to kill cockroach or get rid of roaches fast, naturally and permanently in your home. In this article, we are telling the best home remedies to repel roaches, kill cockroaches naturally and get rid of roaches fast from your home and kitchen.
Several species of roaches have different preferences about the climate of their living area. Few choose to live in areas having a warm climate while others prefer the opposite. Their taste for food may also vary from species to species. In this case, identification of the right species is required for the proper decision of bait (because the use of bait is necessary in nearly all roach removal methods). To start with, you can identify the species to get rid of roaches fast (of the one which is troubling you). Then you have to trace its entrance to your house and other details like its place of living and the main point of infestation. After that, you can try applying any of the methods as listed below:
The American Cockroaches: These species of cockroach are especially popular for their worldwide infestation in common households, so it is important to get rid of cockroaches of this species. They can be easily recognized by their reddish-brown color and the light yellow bands around the shield behind their heads. Usually they have a relatively longer life than other household insects (2 years). Also, they are capable of flying over short distances. They are also the largest in size among the overall cockroach family.
The German Cockroaches: This species is also one of the most popular among all the cockroach species and it is equally important to get rid of roaches of this species also. Their body color is pale brown with two brownish stripes behind the head. The German cockroach has a unique capability of mass reproduction (at least more than any other roach species). Their average lifespan is approximately twelve months.
Top Remedies to Get Rid of Cockroaches Fast and Naturally:
1.) Use The Bay Leaf Cockroach Repellent
This can be said a homemade repellent because it pushes roaches away from your home as opposed to killing roaches. Bay leaf, a herb mostly utilized as a part of Asian cooking, can be discovered effectively in a store offering Indian or other Asian flavors. As we said above, that roaches will not sustain the strong smell and same stand for bay leaves. Along with these lines you can get rid of cockroaches naturally for all time even without killing them. Dry some bay leaf in the sun or buy already dried bay leaves and grind them to make power. Now, sprinkle this powder near the roaches nesting. The roaches will soon leave their nest and home and relocate some place else, where they get food and water.
2.) Borax And Sugar Sugar Bait
As we said above that roaches are usually attracted by the organic things. In sugar and borax remedy, we are utilizing sugar to attract the roaches and borax acid to kill cockroach. Borax is usually utilized by commercial exterminator to kill cockroaches. Borax will damage the digestive system of roaches and dries out the roaches exoskeleton. This will help to get rid of cockroaches fast with no further issue.
Mix equal part of sugar and borax to make a mixture to serve roaches. Now, place or apply this mixture near to the roaches home, into the breaks, baseboards, under the cabinets and sink, in kitchen and other places where you usually see roaches. You will see the dead roaches in a couple of hours after applying/ placing the mixture. Try to place this mixture in night before you go to sleep since roaches will come out from their nests as it lights off.
Precaution in Using Borax: Borax is a very toxic chemical, and you have to be very careful while using borax. Keep it safe and away from the kids and pets at home. Always sprinkle the mixture in places, where kids and pets are not reachable. Always mark the jar or mixing compartment to avoid any mishap in the future. Use gloves to make the mixture and wash your hand 2-3 times with hand-wash.
3.) Use The Fabric Softener Spray
Roaches breathe through their lower body part or you can say breathing abdominal. When you spray fabric softener on roaches, it will produce difficulty in breathing and roaches will die due to suffocation. This makes fabric softener another effective remedy to kill cockroaches naturally.
- For this, you need spray bottle, water and some fabric softener (natural). Make a spray by mixing 3 parts of fabric softener with 2 parts of water. Take the spray bottle and fill the bottle with this mixture.
- Now, you need to spray this solution on the roaches to kill them. Double check that the solution must hit the lower mid-region and head of the roaches.
- Before spraying the solution, you can try to turn the roaches also. Spray the solution to maximum places, where you see the roaches.
4.) Baking Soda and Sugar Bait
Prior we have discussed borax and sugar mix that makes toxic bait to kill cockroaches, but this one is natural bait to kill roaches. If, you would not prefer to utilize borax due to kids and pets in your home, then you can use baking soda with sugar. Baking soda and sugar bait is also an effective home remedy to get rid of cockroaches naturally in your home. The sugar helps in the same way to attract the roaches and for baking soda, destroy the digestive system of the roaches. Baking soda will make a great amount of gas into the roaches that they dies. Take equal amount of both baking soda and sugar and mix them. Sprinkle the mix in those areas that are infested with the roaches. Roaches will die when they eat the mixture. Try to sprinkle at night before you go to sleep and this safe for your kids.
5.) Make A Coffee Water Jar Trap
There is a long discussion on killing the roaches with the help of coffee. Some people say that things present in the coffee kill cockroaches, while another says that the strong coffee smell kill cockroach. Regardless, coffee is a decent remedy to get rid of cockroaches naturally and fast. You can mix coffee grinds in any organic palatable and in order to serve roaches place it, where you usually see roaches.
- For this you need a 2-3 glass jars, some wet coffee grinds, water and 2-3 small cups. Fill the glass jar about 1/4th with water. Now, place the coffee grinds in the small cups. Now, place one small cup inside the one large glass jar. Make sure water is just below the cup level.
- You have to make 2-3 similar traps with a small cup inside every jar. Then place these jars near to the roach nesting or where you see the roaches most. Roaches will get attracted by the aroma of coffee and try to enter into the jar. One the roaches fell into the water jar, it is very nearly impossible them to escape.
- See the jar on daily basis and when you have enough roaches, you can throw them. Replace the coffee and water and place the trap again to get more roaches, when you discover no roaches in a jar for a couple of days.
6.) Ammonia-Water Solution
Ammonia excessively works as a repellent for roaches due to its strong smell. This smell make it a propensity to clean the hard surfaces with a solution of ammonia and water. For this, you need 2 cups of ammonia and 1 water bucket. Add ammonia to the bucket full with water. Now, wash the hard surfaces of your kitchen and bathroom and if possible at different places with this solution. Roaches will leave your home soon yet keep on utilizing this solution in any case, once in two weeks to keep them from getting into your house again.
7.) Soda Bottle Traps For Roaches
While you can always purchase roach traps, but you can put a little effort and you can utilize those empty soda bottles to make roach trap to get rid of roaches out of your house. You can follow the below process to make soda bottle traps to get rid of cockroaches naturally:
- For this, you need a plastic soda bottle, a sharp knife or blade to cut the bottle, soap and water. Take your plastic soda bottle and with the help of a knife or blade, cut it off from bending position on the bottle neck.
- Now, take this separated top of the bottle and place it in transforming position into the body of the bottle. You need to be sure that it will look & work like a pipe inside the soda bottle.
- Utilize the tape around the edge to hold it in place. Now, mix a little water with soap and pour this into the bottle. A little quantity of soap-water in the base of the bottle will work
- Now, place your homemade cockroach trap where roaches are seen frequently. Roaches will creep into the bottle and will suffocate.
8.) Use The Catnip Repellent
Catnip herb is a natural repellent for roaches that you can use to get rid of roaches fast and safely without worrying about your kids and pets. Nepetalactone is the active ingredient in catnip and it is non-toxic to humans and pets.
- Get small sachets of catnip or the loose catnip. Sprinkle the catnip and leave them in places, where you see the cockroaches. Alternatively, mix 1 tsp of catnip in 2 cups of water and make a catnip tea. Take a spray bottle and fill this solution in it.
- Now, you can spray it to the baseboards, behind counters, roaches nest and any place to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Precaution: While the herb is ok for pets, it makes cats go crazy, so in the event that you have a cat in your house, look for some other remedy to get rid of roaches.
9.) Make a Cucumber Trap
While very few discovered this remedy excessively effective to get rid of roaches, some still say that it does not work. Still, you easily find the cucumber in your fridge so it doesn’t hurt to try different things with this cucumber peel remedy to see, whether the roaches in your house truly react to them! It is said that cucumber peels, when placed in an aluminum can react to the metal and produce such a stink, to the point that isn’t mediocre to roaches and they die off. For this, you need an aluminium can and fresh cucumber peels. Place the cucumber peels in the aluminium can. Now, place this can some place, where you think there are numerous cockroaches. Now, you have to wait for the nasty creatures to die away.
10.) Use The Cayenne Pepper
Among the herbs, other than bay leaves and catnip, you may include pepper also with ease to make natural repellent to get rid of roaches. Now, whether this is due to the smell of the pepper or due to some ingredient in it, is not clear. However pepper does very work to keep roaches away.
- For this, you need 1 tbsp of cayenne (or red) pepper, 1 garlic clove (crushed), 1 white onion (crushed), and 4 cups of water.
- Mix all ingredients in a heating pan or bowl. Now, boil 4 cups of water mixture till boiling temp.
- Remove the mixture from the fire and wait till it cool down. Pour this into a spray bottle and spray in the roach-infested areas.
- You can also sprinkle cayenne pepper behind the objects or place where you doubt roaches to be stowing away.
11.) Make a Sticky Trap
You may trap the roaches in such a way that they stay in trap and not escape easily. This you can do by utilizing super-quality bundling tape! You just need to keep the sticky side up. In case that doesn’t satisfy you, get glue sheets used to catch mice.
- For this, you need packaging tapes or you can start with glue sheet (suggested for mice control). Take the tapes and place them in such places as along baseboards and counter tops, behind the cooler and stove. Keep in mind to keep the sticky side up.
- Do this in night before going to bed since this is the time, when roaches are the most active. In case that you have roaches, and might want to catch some of them till morning.
- Do this day by day till you see none for two or three days. If you think that it is too hard to make these sheets, then you can use the sheet available in market for mice control.
12.) Boric Acid to Kill Roaches
This is the thing that the professional use to kill cockroaches. Boric acid instantly kill cockroach. What’s all the more, its a toxic way to kill cockroaches. But yes, it is one of the best thing if you have just tired everything on these nasty creatures.
- Put some diluted boric acid on top of the kitchen cabinets or bathroom cabinets, wherever they you see roaches mostly. Don’t put boric acid inside cabinets. Recollect that, it is toxic.
- You may truly put it some place amidst rooftop and cabinets, if it is conceivable. Roaches like high places, thus this effort won’t go to waste.
- If you have the capacity to do this, roaches will take boric acid to their homes from these high places and kill the greater part of their species there.
Precaution: Take most extreme consideration to keep boric acid away from pets and kids. Use soap to clean your hands properly. Better if you utilize the gloves to the job and wash away the gloves properly instantly in the wake of putting boric acid.
13.) Take The Help From Garlic
Garlic is one of the best ways to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Cockroaches have the same problem for high smell with garlic as well. They cannot stand the smell of the garlic. What you have to is, t ake a few garlic cloves. Peel them off and place them everywhere around the house. Make special arrangements to the areas, where they are more active. After three days, replace the cloves with the fresh ones. Repeat the process for ten days and you will see the difference in the population of these unwanted pets.
14.) Take Help From Mint
Mint can also be used as one of the perfect repellent to get rid of cockroaches naturally. You just have to prepare a mint spray and spray it around the house. Roaches do not like the strong smell of mint and thus they will look for other place for themselves. To make the spray, t ake a glass of hot water and a dd some mint leaves to it. Cover it with a lid and allow it to steep for some time. Allow it cool completely and w hen it has cooled, pour it into a spray bottle. Spray it around the house to get rid of roaches naturally. Repeat the process daily and you will notice the difference with a week.
15.) Ice Cream Trap
You can also utilize the left over ice creams that no one is ready to eat. Roaches are attracted towards the smell of the sweets. Once they are attracted towards the ice cream, they will be trapped in the stickiness of the ice cream. You can also mix some baking soda to ice cream, which is destroy they digestive system and kill cockroaches. What you have to do is, t ake the leftover ice and mix some baking soda in it. If you have some left over ice cream carton then take that along with the carton. Place the baking soda mix or carton near to the area, where the roaches are more active. Leave it for days, k eep checking it in between. After eating baking soda with ice cream cockroach will die. For carton ice cream, w hen you think that your trap has sufficient roaches, dispose it off.
16.) Petroleum Jelly Trap
This trap for cockroaches is anything but difficult to situate. To set this trap, get a wide mouthed bottle or jar and apply some petroleum jam on the inner edge of the jar. Put some fruit peels, for example, apple, banana or mango inside the bottle. Keep this jar overnight to cockroach infested area without shutting it in your kitchen or bathroom, which is frequented by the roaches. The smell of the fruit peels will attract the roaches to the jar and they get trapped inside the jar due to the petroleum jelly on the edge of the jar. Next morning, empty the jar if you see the roaches in it.
17.) Make Use of Lemon
Lemon can also be used effectively to get rid of roaches naturally. What you have to do is, while cleaning your house you just have to add lemon juice to the water that you are using to clean the house. Use it clean the area that has tiles. Cockroaches do not like lemon at all and thus they will run away from the house. This will also prevent future infestation as well. So, you are advised to clean your house with lemon. Pay special attention the kitchen area. You can buy some natural lemon spray to spay the areas also. Else, make your own lemon spray by mixing 1 portion of lemon essential oil with 4 portions of water and fill in spray bottle to spray the infested area by roaches.
18.) Using Listerine as Repellent
You can also go for Listerine in order to eliminate these unwanted pets completely from your home. Listerine is one of the most effective ways to get rid of roaches fast and completely from the house. Use it to clean your house. Listerine kills the roaches and prevents future infestation as well. Listerine acts as a decent cockroach repellent as well. Mix equal parts of water and Listerine to make a solution and add two drops of dish washing liquid to it. Put this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it on areas, where the roaches make most visits and on top of the roaches directly, if possible.
19.) Essential Oils Will Help
Using essential oils is one of the effective home remedies to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Roaches and other flies cannot stand with the smell of essential oils. Oils include cedar, lemon, rosemary, fir and eucalyptus.
- Take a bowl and add 4 drops of lemon essential oil, 10 to 12 drops of cedar essential oil, 4 drops of white fir essential oil, 2 cups of baking soda and 4 tbsp of borax to it.
- Now spray this solution where you find the cockroaches. You can also sprinkle it on carpets and furniture.
- Leave it for half an hour and then vacuum thoroughly so that baking soda residues are removed. This method will not only kill cockroaches but also kill fleas, mites, bedbugs, spiders, ticks etc.
20.) Pinesol And Bleach Solution
Pinesol and blanch mix has an exceptionally strong smell, which will help you to get rid of cockroaches naturally from their concealing places. Mix 2 cups of Pinesol, 2 cups of bleach and some boiling water. Pour this mixture to the roach infested areas in the house. Keep the windows of the rooms open as this mixture has an extremely strong smell. Wait for 20-30 minutes and then clean the place.
Other Useful Methods to Get Rid of Cockroaches In Your Home, Car or an Apartment
Method ‘A’: Get Rid of Roaches Permanently and Naturally (Fastest Method)
- A very few ingredients are needed in this process; just a bit of powdered boric acid (available in pharmacies), white flour and a little amount of granulated white sugar.
- The process is really simple; just mix these items together with a few drops of water (the mixture will be like dough) and put them in home areas which are commonly infested with the roaches. (Use gloves while making this mixture)
- If you have already found the living areas of the roaches, then you can also keep a little bit in front of those areas. The working process is also easy, the sugar will act as bait and the boric acid will be the roach-killer.
- To decrease the number of roaches in your house by a considerable amount (for you to see and feel the effect), it can take up to 5-7 days.
- When you feel that all roaches in your house are finished, then you only need to control the entrance of roaches to your house. This method can get rid of roaches fast and permanently by killing the every last cockroach in your home.
Method ‘B’: Get Rid of Roaches Fast and Permanently
- Alternatively, you may use another method to get rid of cockroaches. The required ingredients are boric acid, flour and cocoa powder.
- The mixing process is also simple like the previous one; just add one part acid and one part cocoa to two parts of flour.
- The application process of this method works just like the previous one. Same thing goes for the working procedure too.
Other Ways to Get Rid of Roaches Permanently (Naturally and Fast)
This formula mainly consists of the use of chemical items. Few of the techniques are like-
- Cockroach bait is a different type of chemical gel, which is laced with bait. The gel is actually a slow working poison, which means that the cockroach will not die instantly after consuming it.
- Rather, they will be attracted by the bait and will bring back more for the entire family.
- Finally, most of them will die within one to two weeks of use. But to obtain the desired result, you must ensure the proper placement of this bait (in the common areas of infestation).
- Cockroach traps work with the same bait principle. The difference is that an adhesive material is present in the trap and the cockroaches will be entrapped there after tasting the bait.
If you apply a good grade pesticide other than the regular ones, then you are more likely to gain success in your roach extermination mission. Because the professional ones are especially developed for one sole purpose-to annihilate pest. The ones available in local markets will not do the work for you properly because of their weak/less corrosive ingredients. You can also try buying a spray which is particularly developed for roach-killing. Ensure that you are purchasing it from a renowned brand.
How to Cut off Food Supply to Get Rid of Roaches?
- Always keep food stored in fixed containers or in your fridge. It’s better to keep it fixed in the fridge as well.
- Don’t let the garbage expose. Use covered dustbins in the kitchen and where you put your garbage. The extent that this would be possible, keep covered garbage containers outside.
- Keep everything in the kitchen clean. Try to wash your dishes, counters, dishwasher, tables and ovens consistently without fail.
- Store anything palatable, including dry things like flour, sugar, cereal, pasta and wafers in covered containers. Keep in mind, these are likewise the foods that attract roaches.
- Fix all the breaks in your house. No pipes, taps, flush tanks, nothing ought to hole water.
- Keep all the places in the house clean and dry. Kitchen and bathroom ought to likewise be clean and dry. Mop any water when the range gets wet.
Tips to Eliminate Hiding Places of Roaches:
- Clean the clutter from all storage rooms including shelves, drawers, wardrobes and so forth. Discard everything that is garbage. Don’t utilize rack, paper as roaches adoration to stow away under them.
- Unused furniture, machines, food and dress, every one of them are clutter. Discard them or dole them out. Do whatever you need to dispose of them.
- Consistent home repairs are an absolute necessity. Seal cracks and openings. Additionally, remove chipped paint. If there is wallpaper in your house, verify that it is ok and not lose. Lose wallpapers ought to be removed or repaired.
- Check your books in the shelves or drawers or wherever you store them. Check behind picture outlines, under the sink and hardware for cockroaches. Clean them consistently.
- In the event that you take all the above precaution, you can expect roaches to avoid your house and you won’t need to think about the ways to dispose of roaches!
Other Useful Tips to Get Rid of Roaches:
Proper use of the above techniques can result in a happy roach hunting for you. But some things must be kept in mind before their use, such as:
- Always try to prevent the inhalation of the chemicals, which you are using for killing roaches. They can cause lung irritations or breathing problems for you.
- There is every possibility of infants or pets consuming the baits/chemicals, which you have prepared and applied for the roaches. Some ingredients may not be severely dangerous, but it is always good to keep them hidden or protected. You can try keeping them in a place where they will be accessible to roaches only.
- If you kill half-dead or knocked out roaches manually, then always be sure to clean up the mess properly. Dead cockroaches must be disposed of properly using toilets for simply flushing them away.
- It is equally important to reduce the attraction of roaches towards your household. So always try to dispose of your garbage regularly and do not keep any half eaten or fermenting items here and there.